Cycra handguards after KX fork conversion

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Cycra handguards after KX fork conversion

Post by wanaride »

Has anyone used the Probend pack with the triple clamp mounting method after a KX fork conversion?

My old setup; Fredette barkbusters with Cycra triple clamp mounting bracket connected to KDX upper clamp with bolts through the FRONT of the clamp.

I was thinking of ordering a set of Cycras and I already have the triple clamp mounting brackets, but it isn't clear to me how they will work since the KX upper triple clamp bolts come in through the BACK (instead of from the front as on the old KDX triple clamp).

I'm confused. :rolleyes: Please help!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Flying W

Re: Cycra handguards after KX fork conversion

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
wanaride wrote:Has anyone used the Probend pack with the triple clamp mounting method after a KX fork conversion?

My old setup; Fredette barkbusters with Cycra triple clamp mounting bracket connected to KDX upper clamp with bolts through the FRONT of the clamp.

I was thinking of ordering a set of Cycras and I already have the triple clamp mounting brackets, but it isn't clear to me how they will work since the KX upper triple clamp bolts come in through the BACK (instead of from the front as on the old KDX triple clamp).

I'm confused. :rolleyes: Please help!
I think you are going to have to go this route:
http://www.cycraracing.com/techtips.html

The TC mounts won't work on the rear side of the TC. On another note, I would buy your TC mounts from you when you are have figured out your new mounting setup. I need to connect Cycra Probends to the stock KDX TC on my wife's new 220.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Cycra triple mounts wont work for you on those forks or that triple clamp.
you dont want to do it any way. I just installed the triple mounts on mine and I get a lot more vibration in the bars than before.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Flying W, I'll definitely sell them to you for cheap since it looks like I don't need 'em!

So what barkbuster setup is common after the KX fork conversion??

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I loved my setup. Look in my gallery for photos. They are the best guards around and by using the triple clamp mount, there's no way they willl rotate on you.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Jerry, thanks for trying, but isn't that an aftermarket upper triple clamp with side mounting bolts?? The stock KX upper triple clamp bolts mount from the back, thus I can't see a way for your solution to work on my bike.

And while trying to bend my old Fredette BBs to make them fit my new setup, I actually broke one of the aluminum BBs. Now I have to buy new ones anyhow. Crap!

Any other ideas??

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

oh, you must have '03 or newer triple clamp then? This has been discussed in another thread about a year ago I think. heck! You even participated in that thread!

Click This
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yes I did. (I even brought it back to life!) After seeing your post I re-read that older thread last night, and Colorado Mike seems to have confirmed it; no Cycra triple clamp mounting on a KX triple clamp ('03 and newer, mine is '04).

I'll just plan to get some D-Flex guards from Rocky Mtn.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70