Confused, Irritated, and Clueless, tire help, knowledge...

Got questions? We got answers....
SenterCutt

Confused, Irritated, and Clueless, tire help, knowledge...

Post by SenterCutt »

Here is the friggin deal. I have searched for the past week for tires throughout this awesome site and got some good information on what tire I sholud be using, but I still have questions, so don't flog me for starting a topic that might allready have been answered. I live in SC, I ride mostly in GA, SC, and NC on red clay and a lot of the time it is wet and muddy. I do a lot of creek crossings, and ride some on hard packed clay/dirt and some on rocky slopes in the mountains of NC. I have narrowed the decision down to Michelins, mostly because I have a hook up there and will get the tires at the employee discount, I think. It sounds like I should stick with the standard size tire on the frint and the rear due to some of the HP losses, which is fine with me. I also know that Michelin has funky size equivilants, and so I went out to check the 2000 KDX 200 (which is waiting for the RB carb mod, sitting there with a brand new FMF pipe and silencer, and V-force 3 reeds) to check to see what tire is on it now, because I just got it. And I see that on the front I have a Dunlop K490 J 80/100-21 51M, whatever that means. And a Dunlop K695-100/100-18 on the back, whatever that means. What is the deal on these tire sizes, are these tires that are on there any where close. DANGIT!!!!I want maximum traction of course, and the majority of stuff that I ride is the wet mud. What the frick? I need knowledge and in simple terms, because I aint too sharp. What say you of KDX knowledge mongers?
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

R=D756 F=D742 or R & F S12
I think Michelin Site has the conversion table posted

The 756 tracks through mud GREAT
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
SenterCutt

Post by SenterCutt »

GH, preciate the reply, it looks like it is going to be S12's, assuming my buddy hooks me up.