What would it take...

Got questions? We got answers....
thebleakness

What would it take...

Post by thebleakness »

I raced a 2004 Gas Gas ec200 for about 45 miles yesterday and I'm in love!! I love my trusty KDX but this thing is amazing. It's got the low end grunt to lug it around but the instant you want to go fast and accelerate fast it'll do it. It's got more of a motocross type hit that I really like. The seats also very KTM like...I actually really like it. The KDX has a really nice plushy seat but the stiff 2x4 seats seem to cause much less monkeybut and are easier to sit on. Most of all I was impressed with the motor...amazing!

I've also ridden a KTM 200exc and really liked that, once again, amazing engine! Both the Gas Gas and KTM are for sale and I'm thinking about it. So...

What I'm asking is, what would it take (how much would it cost) to make my 220 similar to either of those bikes? If it's going to cost abit to upgrade my KDX I might as well save that money towards a better suited bike.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Let's see... sell you seat and buy a 2x4... wood is getting expensive....

Put a Gas Gas motor init since every motor is different and if that's what you want.... better just buy it because your KDX motor will never be just like that.... whatever that is!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The kdx will never be a ktm. Even if it was, it would not be as reliable, and this is one of the good things about the bike. I still would like to have a ktm, but I really want to make sure the kdx stays. You might miss the trusty old kdx once it's gone.
krazyinski

Re: What would it take...

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:I raced a 2004 Gas Gas ec200 for about 45 miles yesterday and I'm in love!! I love my trusty KDX but this thing is amazing. It's got the low end grunt to lug it around but the instant you want to go fast and accelerate fast it'll do it. It's got more of a motocross type hit that I really like. The seats also very KTM like...I actually really like it. The KDX has a really nice plushy seat but the stiff 2x4 seats seem to cause much less monkeybut and are easier to sit on. Most of all I was impressed with the motor...amazing!

I've also ridden a KTM 200exc and really liked that, once again, amazing engine! Both the Gas Gas and KTM are for sale and I'm thinking about it. So...

What I'm asking is, what would it take (how much would it cost) to make my 220 similar to either of those bikes? If it's going to cost abit to upgrade my KDX I might as well save that money towards a better suited bike.

I hear what your saying, I have my opinion and its this, I have a 220 that is ported, cylinder is plated, head is milled carb is bored out to 36 mm, fmf gnarly gold series pipe (woods) turbine core 2 shortened 4".
The engine work including assembly was done by Fredette racing, it matches the response of a 2007 Gas Gas xc or ec ? 250 except for the mapping change ( the little switch with the sun and clouds on it) this makes me very happy with my engine. the cost 1200 bucks, now I put a KX front end on mine for about $45.The sale of oem parts off set that of the forks. to have the forks reworked by a shop around 350 . I have RM 125 shock ready to go to MX tech cost will be $400 to re-valve, respring and shorten to work on my KDX .I changed the seat to a hard tall seat foam with a gripper seat cover $100.00 helps with the balance and feel. Added CR High mini bars helps with ride and feel. new rear rotor and ss brake lines $110.00 . I road a friends 06 YZ250F all stock except DR.D pipe and a clark tank ,man that bike was fun such electric lazy like power and for what is suppose to be a MX bike the suspension was nice on the trail. got me thinking I might like one, so as soon as I got back I jumped on the KDX off I went, KDX with 3/4 tank of gas 240lbs on a dot scale, factory spec for the yamaha 206lbs dry. the KDX felt lighter, I could feel the engine weight on the 250. I am a little busier on the KDX than the 250 at the same speed on the same trails, I have no problems keeping or out pacing 250s 300s or 450s 2 and 4 stroke on my KDX in my area with guys and gals of the same skill level. price for a new bike 6 grand I think. still have two set it up to the way you like.

new bike $ 6000.00

KDX with pipe and new engine from FRP $2500.00
add Rebuilt USD forks ,RM shock $800.00
brake lines rotor $110
seat,bars hydraulic clutch $400

tricked up to date KDX around $4000

what the MY KDX would be worth in 2 years $1700 -2000 MAYBE.

If you race and are serious about it, than a new bike would be a better deal cause you will need to change out every couple of years to stay in the game.

If your just racing for fun and trail riding, heck drop a 2grand on the KDX and you will have a bike that will last five years and drop some jaws.

When all the riding is done, most the guys are over at my truck trying to figure out what it is I am riding, and when I tell them its a 2000 KDX 220 they know the KDX well I bet 7 out of 10 riders that have 20+years of riding off road under the belt have saddled a KDX and the bench racing starts,the questions about what I have done with it and how smooth and prefect the engine sounds from behind. Now THATS priceless
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Keep researching, asking questions, etc . . . it comes down to what you want to do with the bike. I was at a deciding point last year and went with the KDX220 because 1) knew that it would be more fun for me, 2) it was certainly less expensive, 3) there's lots of techical support for the KDX, primarily from this website, 4) the KDX has proven itself many, many times over.

By the time I finish the USD fork installation, my "total package" has cost me roughly $3,200 - and that includes replacing the piston, rev pipe, 607 reeds, and RB work. Oh, I might send the forks out next winter for some revalving and I think that's another $300, if I do it and don't try to fiddle with it myself. And a skid plate will be another $75. The Magura hydraulic clutch interests me as well - $225 I think. But as it stands now I've got a clean bike that I bet will last me a decade of much enjoyment.

My threshold of when[/] - if ever - I'll move to a different bike? Power. The power is fantastic with Ron Black's modifications. If I need more, time to get a 250.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:The kdx will never be a ktm. Even if it was, it would not be as reliable, and this is one of the good things about the bike. I still would like to have a ktm, but I really want to make sure the kdx stays. You might miss the trusty old kdx once it's gone.
I never said I was getting rid of the KDX...

One of the main reasons I was looking at a KTM was because of the reliability of the ones that my friends ride/race. Support for those things is much better than parts for the KDX, I have to order everything and that is a PITA.

I had no intentions of buying a new bike, I just cant afford it. The gas gas is going to go for sale for $2k here in a little bit with that 2k I could either spend time upgrading my KDX or just add another bike to the stable that already has all the modifications to it. The 200exc is for sale right now for roughly $3k and with some work I might be able to finance that in some way.

Still pondering, I would love to try out a new Husky wr250. My dealer friend just started selling Husky's but haven't received any 2-strokes...yet.

Too many decisions...
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I wish i had the option of two bikes but I have to get ride of one to have another.

I still ponder on throwing more money at the KDX or just stick it back for a new one.

the nice fellow and his dad that let me ride the gas gas were pro and vet racers and had some factory sponsoring. They had a trailer full of Gas Gas bikes ranging from 02 up to 07. the boy was riding the 07 but he was having a hard time keeping his dad off of it.

short story, my opinion after talking to the dad if your thinking about the 04 Gas Gas put the 2k in the KDX or to the KTM. this guy has been with Gas GAS a while and said this year they have really have got their act together.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

If you think kdx parts need to be ordered and waited for I caution checking out yours dealer stock on parts for Gasgas or Husky or KTM in your area before ordering.

If your buying from a dealer they will say something like ..."we stock all commonly used replacement parts... and have direct access to a eastern coast bike X import/distributor " what that may translate to is ....."if it is anything other than brake pads or tires we have to order it and you'll have it in 2-3 weeks......"

P.S. KTMs have a network now and are not soo bad but the other two in the Idaho and Montana states are short in the parts departments.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

The parts issue really doesnt bother me. I've resigned myself to the fact that I wont be able to go and pick up the parts I need at either of the 2 shops here. Most people up here ride KTMs and parts are very readily available. Gas Gas' have alot of interchangeability with other brands so that would be nice.

If I decided to buy either of my friends bikes I wouldn't have to do much with them. Both have most of the upgrades possible and the suspension is damn near close.

I'm going to give the KTM guy a call in the next few days and go riding with him on the 200 (he bought a new 250exc the other day) and check that out some more. I would prefer something non-KTM but there's a reason so many people race them today...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Some of that has to do with the "me too" mentality.... just like Harley riders... everyone's a bad@ss on the weekends and a banker during the week. :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I think it's cool to show up on a different color than orange, you line up at the gate and that's all you see. I think a KX250 with some work would be a great bike, usually when you want to go all out fast.