<OVER HEATING>

Got questions? We got answers....
dirt machines

<OVER HEATING>

Post by dirt machines »

Help me!
I was riding today granted it was freezing, but i thought it would work. Anyway the problem at hand is due to the ice and the tire spinning the bike over heated. Its never done it before, so i'm alittle concerned being that its an 00 kdx220. The bike also has a major problem of burning oil and the reserve tank on the radiator fluid wont stay full... i've checked the radiators and there not leaking, so is there anything wrong?[/b]
05 crf230
mod=pipe-jets-tires-uped gear ratio-bbr springs for the front-asv levers-pro taper bars- and more.
00 kdx220r
mod=pipe-jets-airfilter-tires and sprockets-renthal bars-scott grips-ebc brakes- and more.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Head gasket leaking?

What do you mean burning oil? It's supposed to burn what you put in there....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dirt machines

Post by dirt machines »

No leaks it just started overheating and i was wondering if it is my error. The reserve fluid tank wont stay full. Is it or could it be due to the fact of spinning alot of rpms and only moving 20 or so mph due to that snow with the ice on top. With the oil it just eats it. I'll :cry: if i cant get it fixed...LOL
i checked the rad. when i unloaded and there full as well as not leaking so is it the direct link to the overflow bottle? :?
05 crf230
mod=pipe-jets-tires-uped gear ratio-bbr springs for the front-asv levers-pro taper bars- and more.
00 kdx220r
mod=pipe-jets-airfilter-tires and sprockets-renthal bars-scott grips-ebc brakes- and more.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The reserve tank fills when the bike is hot, mine won't stay full either.
dirt machines

Post by dirt machines »

well we pulled it off the coarse when it got hot so it should be fine right?
Another reason it got hot could be the fact that when we crossed a creek the tubes for air got blocked... could that cause it? :?
05 crf230
00 kdx220r
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the tubes for air
what tube? the one from the carb? if they were the bike wouldn't run too good and you'd know it
dirt machines

Post by dirt machines »

all of the drain tubes on the bottom were frozen but the bike didnt respond any dif. i just sawl the leaking antafreeze and could hear it bubbling. I'm used to 4-strokes
05 crf230
00 kdx220r
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What oil are you talking about? Get this worked out first.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

sound like time for an overhaul

head gasket leaking could = over heating
radiator cap bad = '' ''

eating oil from the trans = crank seals

there is somthing your leaving out??
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm going out on a limb here and gonna guess at a LOT of what you aren't telling us.
First, I am going to assume by oil used you are talking about the crank case oil and not the 2 stroke premix. If you are using oil out of the crank case and it's not leaking out, then you most likely have a main bearing seal that has failed. This will cause all sorts of motor performance issues. If this is happening then it's gonna be a big deal to split the cases and replace the seals.

Next, I'm going to assume that your radiator cap has been tested and known to be good. Because, if it isn't then it will leak and vent much sooner than normal, mimicking an overheated motor when it's not. Then I will assume you know how to bleed the air out of your cooling system using the bleed screw at the top of the cylinder head. If those are true, then it's not unusual that your bike would heat up to the point of venting out the overflow tube. Running deep snow is just like sand.

Oh, I also assumed that the radiator is blocked with dirt and mud from the water crossing you mentioned. Although, it might be the drain tube from the air cleaner box.

Here's a big way to let us help you. Describe everything in complete detail when asking for help. You leave WAY too much out and WAY too little information to even come close to guessing what you are talking about. I'm not flaming you, I am trying to help you. The best way I, or anyone here can help you is if you are very careful when describing your problems.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
dirt machines

Post by dirt machines »

OK I'll TRY TO BE MORE SPECIFIC!
Well not all of this is new, but i'm new to 2-strokes.
THANKS :prayer: i'll check those first... i didnt even think about the cap even though i should of being that it happened to one of my other bikes.

Could it just go bad because i've had the bike a year and it was fine or is fine idk... it is used. :?
Its probably best if i stick to somthin i know, but i luv bikes so i collect.
05 crf230
00 kdx220r
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Follow up on SkiPros thoughts and also :If you haven't changed the jetting from the jetting you used in the summer you may also be running lean. Lean will also lead to overheating problems and siezing the motor.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What altitude were you riding at? I don't think VA has too tall of mountains like out west, but some of us have had the bike boil when riding in thinner air.

Check your brakes. A dragging caliper will cause a bike to feel like it's got power issues and get overheated at the same time. I had a rock jamb mine and it did that.

Bad wheel bearings will also load down a bike. A dirty chain as well.

Still waiting to hear if its crank case oil that is being used....

Radiator caps do just go bad sitting around in my experiance. They are cheap; take it to a local auto parts house and they will have one.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
dirt machines

Post by dirt machines »

Yeah its the crank case oil that is burning or being eatin ; i use gn4 honda oil. :mrgreen:
05 crf230
00 kdx220r
dirt machines

Post by dirt machines »

forgot to add. I clean the chain on a reg. basis so its clean and the brakes aren't rubben so i think using ya'lls info its the cap.
05 crf230
00 kdx220r
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i use gn4 honda oil
:shock: honda oil in a kawi engine :blink:
There's your sign :roll:
isn't that like throwing holly water on the devil??? :lol:
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

There was another post for a 220 overheating a few months back (Oct/Nov) -- can't find it right now. If I recall correctly, some suggestions were checking timing and higher pressure radiator cap. Lean jetting could cause the prblem too.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Going out on another limb here...........

Are you running 50-50 antifreeze and water? Maybe the radiators froze and caused the overheating due to no water circulation?

Happens to me all the time here in the Southwest Desert :lol: :mrgreen:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
dirt machines

Post by dirt machines »

I'm trying to provide the info u seek...
Its always had gn4 in it because my buddy used the same oil for it and his crf450r. I dont think it.... for a matter of fact i know it didnt freeze because my dad and i opened the top of the rad. and it was a liquid, but yeah its 50-50. :lol:
05 crf230
00 kdx220r