Oil for air filter

Got questions? We got answers....
macodi

Oil for air filter

Post by macodi »

How much oil do you apply to the air filter? If I had PJ1 spray can...do I apply to the exterior only? Another scenario...let's assume I'm stranded on a deserted island and all I have is 10w40 or Marvel Mystery Oil or PJ1 chain lube. What is a good alternative on a Sunday when every shop within 100 miles of my deserted island is closed? :rolleyes:
Mark
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

motor oil
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Stranded on a desserted island, hmmmm, I'd be saving any lube I had for "other" purposes :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Stranded on a desserted island, hmmmm, I'd be saving any lube I had for "other" purposes :lol:
You are a very sick man :shock: :? :razz: :oops: :butthead:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

To your first question, the idea is that the entire filter throughout has oil but that the voids are not filled with oil. Mfgs confuse people because the directions use words like "saturate" which leads people to use too much oil.

Here's what I do if it helps:
  • 1. Pour your favorite oil in a large baggie where about 1/4-1/3 of the filter is immersed.
    2. Move the filter around in the bag such that the entire filter gets pretty much drenched in the stuff.
    3. Take the filter out and squeeze out the excess. Use care when squeezing around the seams not to tear or rip things (don't wring it).
    4. You'll get to a point where if you're squeezing some oil will try to come out, you try to shake it out but as soon as you loosen your grip the oil gets sucked back in. There's still some excess, but here's where a dry, clean towel helps.
    5. Wrap the towel around the filter and squeeze the filter a few times to collect the excess oil.
    6. Turn the filter inside out repeat with the towel.
Now the filter will certainly have oil in it, but when you squeeze the filter you don't have that excess still coming out without a good way to get it away from the filter.

'Hope this helps - it certainly isn't the only way and others may have a better way, but I like feeling confident I'm getting the whole filter yet not clogging the thing up!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Always follow the manufacturer's directions when using air filter oil. Anything else could result in dusting the motor.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Always follow the manufacturer's directions when using air filter oil. Anything else could result in dusting the motor.
Per manufacturer's directions in the owner's manual, "After cleaning, saturate the element with a high-quality foam-air-filter oil . . . "

this kind of oil is very sticky compared to motor oil.

BTW, Macodi, if I was trapped on a deserted island I doubt I could find a better way to wait out a rescue than be ridin' . . . shoot, they may have to wait 'till I was finished when they got there!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
macodi

Post by macodi »

Thanks for the tips. I think the motor oil will be OK for a ride or 2 until I can get a can of PJ1.

I squeezed the excess oil out onto a pizza box and burned it in my outside fireplace tonight just to irritate a few liberals. That is so cool that I can melt a glacier all the way from Florida.
Mark
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
macodi wrote:Thanks for the tips. I think the motor oil will be OK for a ride or 2 until I can get a can of PJ1.

I squeezed the excess oil out onto a pizza box and burned it in my outside fireplace tonight just to irritate a few liberals. That is so cool that I can melt a glacier all the way from Florida.
:lol: Bring on the icebergs!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8646#38646]>QBB<[/url][quote="macodi"]Thanks for the tips. I think the motor oil will be OK for a ride or 2 until I can get a can of PJ1.

I squeezed the excess oil out onto a pizza box and burned it in my outside fireplace tonight just to irritate a few liberals. That is so cool that I can melt a glacier all the way from Florida.[/quote]

just keep doing so. mabe all the snow up here will FINALLY go away :lol:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200