Do I have premix in my gas?

Got questions? We got answers....
crazybrit

Do I have premix in my gas?

Post by crazybrit »

I have a full 5g can of gas, I think I put 50:1 AMSOil premix in it (in December) but I can't totally remember. Is there any way to verify. Or am I pouring it into the pickup and starting over?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I'd do the pickup and start over with fresh gas, better than frying your engine :?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Put some on a paper towel and let the gas evaporate. If there is a oil spot left on the towel, it's mix. To have a standard, put an equal amount of straight gas on a separate towel and let it air dry as well, then compare to the unknown fuel.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

drain all the gas outa the lawnmower, fill it up with the 5 gallon can see if it smells like premix when you run the mower

To save myself the confusion I put premix in all my gas, even for my lawnmower, takes all the guess work out plus it smells really cool when I'm mowing, smells just like I'm out riding
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:drain all the gas outa the lawnmower, fill it up with the 5 gallon can see if it smells like premix when you run the mower

To save myself the confusion I put premix in all my gas, even for my lawnmower, takes all the guess work out plus it smells really cool when I'm mowing, smells just like I'm out riding
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Ditto....I love the 12:1 C12/Castor kart premix in my 'Deere....and to think they once used lead to lube the valvetrain :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

is it blue or clear?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

The best thing about running it in the lawnmower is that the gas never goes bad, I leave it in fron Summer and she always fires right up the next spring
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

"it smells really cool when I'm mowing, smells just like I'm out riding"

Hehe, that IS cool.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Put some on a paper towel and let the gas evaporate. If there is a oil spot left on the towel, it's mix. To have a standard, put an equal amount of straight gas on a separate towel and let it air dry as well, then compare to the unknown fuel.
I might do this as I'm pretty certain I put the mix in. LOL on the lawnmower, alas I concreted the yard (kidding) but I've not started the mower in 5 years.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Another thing I always do is put the oil in the can first
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
GS

Post by GS »

About mixing in the container:

I put the oil in, add a quart or two of gas , then shake the crap out of it before adding the rest of the gas.....WHY? Am I paranoid? Well....... cause my brother added 2 stroke merc oil to the pretty much empty inboard 30 gal tank on our outboard Merc-2stroke powered boat several years ago.....then topped off with gas. He thought this would be thoroughly mixed after driving for another hour on a winding road.

BUT, 20 min after starting the engine and then running WOT around the lake the engine lost power and died........inspection revealed that it had an extremely high concentration of oil in the fuel line....it hadn't mixed worth beans! Sat in a puddle on the bottom of he tank, I guess. This was with high-quality factory Merc oil.

I took a lesson from that and now go the extra mile with mixing...
YMMV :wink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'is it blue or clear?'

I don't see an answer to that. Some mix oils are colored expressly for the purpose of being able to tell what's mix and what's not. I've never used Amsoil...but AS a user, you know the color.

Sometimes that isn't much help. SuperM is 'amber' colored. GREAT when you use it with most pump fuels that are ALSO amber colored. Some pump fuels (Chevron premium I believe?) are blue. Guess a blue oil wouldn't help a lot for finding out anything about THAT mix.

Ski's idea should work perfectly. Especially the 'control' part.

Your truck's not a Dodge Cummins, is it? :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I use premix on outdoor fires if i cant get em going, because it isnt as explosive as regular gas, and it burns up slower. Maybe you could take a small, equal amount of each, on the same surface, or like in a dixie cup and light em. FROM A SAFE DISTANCE! See which one burns up faster, with higher flames. Thats gonna be the reg. Gas!!! :supz: :wink:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'FROM A SAFE DISTANCE!'

Yeah...use one'a the LONG bics...not one of the little short guys....

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I once started a leaf pile with some gas. Poured the gas on, then went inside to get a match. Now, let me tell you, gas fumes are heavy. By the time I got back to the pile and tossed the match on, the fumes were under the pile. When the match finally lit it off, that leaf pile lifted at least 2 feet into the air, then set itself right back down. Cool!!

Then there was the time I was lighting off a 55 gallon drum burn barrel. I poured on the gas, stood back and was going to toss the match into the barrel. How was I to know that wind direction mattered. I must have been in the plume of gas fumes, because when that match started to scratch across the book, the whole world went into flame. I lost all my nose hair and my eye lashes and eye brows. Lucky for me, my clothes didn't ignite although when I went into the house, my wife said I was smoking and looked like one of those 3 stooges that just lit an exploding cigar!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I once lit off a leaf and pine needle pile when I lived in S.C.

The pile was about 15' x 15' and 3' high

I through some gas on it and lit off, I had burning leaves and crap over 20' straight up into the air! Went up into the neighbors trees, luckily most of the leaves had fallen, I still burnt a few though

I did the burn barrel trick too :roll:

Poured about 10 oz of gas into the barrel

I got down on my knees and through a match over the top of the barrel

Went off like a cannon! :shock:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OK...bad gas stories it is...

I had a big pile of junk to burn. It had been pretty wet, so of course, some 'help' was needed.

There was one liddle biddy flame going on one side of the pile (about 20' across). I was judiciously apply 'starter' on the other side. While I was 'applying' I saw an ember float down into the pile right about where I was 'applying'.

I thought...'This can't be good!'

VaaROOMPh! The thing blew up.

I turned and ran. Looked back to see the fire was following me! It had blown fuel all over my back.

No...I hadn't dropped tha gas can!!

My brother-in-law said, 'DROP THE CAN! DROP THE CAN!!!'

I did.

I stopped, dropped and rolled. Marty beat on me some (I think he liked that part!).

Thass'a joke to this day...me'n gas cans.

STEP AWAY FROM THE CAN!!!!

Kind'a like me riding a bike and getting anywhere's close to water...but that's another story....

:oops:

Consider the source