Toluene?? Performance

Got questions? We got answers....
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
motofox2006 wrote:One more question if anyone knows. Going up or down in octane makes the mix richer or leaner
Neither - Mixture stays the same
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

So then I wont have to rejet i go told i had to
E series 91 KDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

When I said, 'jetting changes may be necessary..' the subject was mixtures of this-n-that, and the blends discussed certainly had largely varying octane ratings of individual components.

What I said was NOT relative to different octanes of the SAME TYPE fuel, as a change from 91 to 93 pump gasoline.

..all of this having to do with only a guess as to what '...i go told i had to' even means.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:>|<>QBB<
motofox2006 wrote:One more question if anyone knows. Going up or down in octane makes the mix richer or leaner
Neither - Mixture stays the same
While going up or down in octane level does not make the mixture richer or leaner; other things can and do happen. Going down in octane to 85-87 levels may burn down the motor due to detonation within the cylinder - even though the fuel/gas mixture has not changed and the engine is running at the correct fuel curve for the power the engine is making - simply not enough octane to allow a proper wave front for the gas charge being ignited. Can result in a very damaged engine piston and cylinder.

Going too high in octane can also cost power in that without adjustments in timing and compression to take advantage of the increased resistance to detonation slightly less heat and power is produced by the engine than with the proper octane grade of fuel the engine was designed for. When I mention heat I'm talking about exhaust gas temperature which directly affects when your tuned pipe starts to perform its magic of stuffing your cylinder with extra premix and air for more power.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

Right now I know how to run my bike on toluene. And I know that this is a forum for kdx's, does anyone happen to know if you can run toluene in a 4 stroke 99 yz400, its dads.
E series 91 KDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Please read a little more carefully? (something I could well do myself a whole lot of the time, btw)
Mr. Black wrote:Even when using toluene in a 4 stroke engine you still need to use the K1 kerosene.
The above I don't think is the first time that has been mentioned, but it comes from this thread.

Consider the source

motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

so the details on the mixture would be the same minus the oil
E series 91 KDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes.

Consider the source

motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

ok
E series 91 KDX
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

Does anyone on know why if toluene is a key product in gasoline already and it makes your engine run better. Why dont they dont put more in. Is this to keep the octane down?? do you know.
E series 91 KDX
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
motofox2006 wrote:Does anyone on know why if toluene is a key product in gasoline already and it makes your engine run better. Why dont they dont put more in. Is this to keep the octane down?? do you know.
Great question!

It boils down to economics (it's always about the dollar, ain't it?) . . . the primary goal of the corporations who produce gasoline is to maximize shareholder wealth - which is almost always maximizing profit. Why not put more of it in gasoline? Because it's worth more in other things . . . too.

Generally speaking, when crude is processed (distillation in this case) one of the cuts is naptha. Think of naptha as crude gasoline. Naptha in turn is processed (chemical reaction in this case) to form aromatic compounds such as benzene, xylene . . . and toluene.

It turns out that the majority of toluene produced is actually added into gasoline - yes, back into what it was processed from in the first place. In effect, it takes crude gasoline to make enough toluene (as well as other things) to turn crude gasoline into more useable gasoline.

But they only add enough toluene to make the gasoline we buy perform in an acceptable manner. Then they sell the rest to be used for and in other things - because it's worth more there!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!