Toluene?? Performance

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Did not know I could get this high an Octane rating! I am going to mix some in my GTO this summer to keep the pinging down.

Thanks for the info guys :grin: :grin:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:We only have Kerosene, what is the difference between K1 and K2 etc ?? Something about sulpher content. :? Will plain ol Kerosene work ?? Cheers, Trev... :partyman:
5 min search on Google I found :
1-K Kerosene contains less sulfur than the 2-K grade
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

The Kerosene is to keep the "wash" factor in check. When ever you use Toluene as a fuel additive it tends to wash the lubrication off of moving parts (even the premix).

Even when using toluene in a 4 stroke engine you still need to use the K1 kerosene. :wink:

Ron
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
RBD wrote:The Kerosene is to keep the "wash" factor in check. When ever you use Toluene as a fuel additive it tends to wash the lubrication off of moving parts (even the premix).

Even when using toluene in a 4 stroke engine you still need to use the K1 kerosene. :wink:

Ron

Hmmm, seems carvr left out that little piece of info ::?

Don't know where I'd put though since a pint of premix, a quart of toluene only leaves room for about 4.9 gallons in my can for the gas

Hafta start mixing 4 gallons at a time I guess
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

So you add kerosene along with toluene, how much K1 kerosene to 10% toluene? thanks
E series 91 KDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re; How much...

Ron gave you the formula already, right? What did I miss?

Toluene octane: 120 RON (research number).

Re: 'Did not know I could get this high an Octane rating!'

Don't mix up octane rating with expected performance. More often than not, it won't work that way.

$$: Around $12/gal hereabouts.

Re: Washing factor: Yes. My choice is 5%. Yes, I've tried other ratios. At 5% I have not seen any detremental effects from not using kero as a cushion.

Why it matters. Toluene has considerably more weight (specific gravity) than does pump 'fuel'. There are more BTUs per volume. One place you can find more info on that is from the site posted (toluene FAQ) on the first page.

Won't cost anyone much to find out if they like it or not. If you don't...don't use it anymore! Simple retrofit process!!

Note: It's not all the same. One rider here found two different brands that smelled differently, one worked, one didn't. The brands I've used that work are Miller (from Miller paint) and Kleenstrip. The latter is likely to be found most anywhere paint stuff is sold.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

CC,

Thank you for your impute, and you are totaly right...

Adding a small percentage of an additive will not hurt if you are keeping track of what it dose and what effects it has on performance and what it is doing internally. When adding a gal of toluene to 4 gal of gas is a big jump, (race fuel like ????)

I have always avoided giving such formulas for this type of witches brew because most people don't have a clue on what it does and what to look for.

The formula that I posted is about 20% + of a good BTU burst of paint thinner and a anti-freeze O2 leaded 100 octane fuel.

I will not defend this, nor will is explain it and better....., over 10 years of this formula working for many. To each their own....

Thank you,
Ron
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Thanks for sharing, guys . . . time to whip up some witches brew!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've been researching fuel lubricants for the specific purpose of counteracting the washing affect the new low sulfur diesel fuels have on components like fuel pumps for diesel trucks. The new requirements are causing the pumps to fail early. Anyway, I was thinking that some of the fuel lubes might be just the ticket for a witches brew concocted for a dirtbike that contains toluene. The amount used is pretty small; 1/2 quart to 32 gallons of fuel. That works out to 1pz to 2 gallons of fuel. For my diesel, the engine clatter is amazingly reduced with just that little bit of lube to the fuel. The stuff is called Power Service and comes in gray or white bottles. Gray doesn't contain cetane boosters, so that's the one I would recommend for a witches brew. This would replace the Kerosene that was mentioned by Ron and Carvr. It costs about 4 or 5 bucks a bottle and is available at Kragen, Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

SkiPro - what is a "pz"? Edit - You meant fluid oz. didn't you - I'm a little slow in the morning.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Sorry, yes. The o and the p are too close together on the keyboard for an early morning post.!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Poops! :oops:

Consider the source

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I have been running Ron's witch's brew for about a year now. It is fine, real FINE! I won't go back to normal. Power is great, smooth, throttle response is crisp, and the silencer is nice light brown, no spooge, no black of any kind. The plug always is spiffy clean and perfectly colored. But I do re-jet for temp changes. In short, it works.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

4 gal a/v LL100
1 gal toluene
28 oz kerosine K1
plus your normal premix oil @ the ratio you normal use

Do I use this but replace the a/v LL100 with 91 unleaded fuel
and with the premix do I put 40:1 in with it being the 40 litres includes the fuel and toluene and kerosene,
Also is 91 what i should be running? ive tryed 98 and Im sure I lost performance
E series 91 KDX
remington0404

Post by remington0404 »

here's a similar question to motofox.......... i don't have alot of access to a/v LL100 so can i use pump gas 94 in place of it, with the same mixture of toluene and kerosine........ i'm guessing i'll just have a lower over all octane, but i'll still benifit from the toleune.....or is there something i'm missing
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The distillation curves for LL100 and pump 94 (92 or whatever) I'm sure are hugely different. I mean...hugely different.

Hence: 'ive tryed 98 and Im sure I lost performance...'

40:1 is fuel to oil...period. Part kerosene, part paint thinner, part mustard gas, part 'cherry bomb'? No matter...it's still 40 parts fuel to ONE part oil.

Add up all the fuel parts...divide by 40. That's your oil volume.

Consider the source

motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

Should I be using 91 and can i replace the a/v LL100 with 91 or 94
E series 91 KDX
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

you can do whatever you want :wink:

I'd try 5% Toluene with the fuel of your choice first, you might really enjoy it :supz:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The way YOU will know which you prefer is, of course, to try both. Someone else's opinion may not be what you find suits you. Doesn't mean they are 'wrong'. Considering different bikes, styles and riding environs, there are too many variables to say any particular mix is 'the mix' for you.

Do keep in mind that jetting changes may be necessary to realize the full effect of ANY change in fuel.

Some changes are stupid and should never be done. 100% toluene for example would be a bad idea (exaggeration to make the point).

Have fun!

Consider the source

motofox2006

Post by motofox2006 »

One more question if anyone knows. Going up or down in octane makes the mix richer or leaner
E series 91 KDX