Front Forks

Got questions? We got answers....
jowens66

Front Forks

Post by jowens66 »

How much better are KX USD forks than just the stock kdx forks with heavier springs? I never jump or anything, just ride tight trails. I am trying to decide on new heavier springs in my stock forks, or do the USD conversion. Thanks
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

IMHO don't bother wasting your time or money on the stock forks. I did.... :(

KX forks are really that much better it is no comparison, even with different valving, springs, preload and oil. Beside the RB head and carb it is the best mod for grin factor bar none. It is probably the best 'safety' upgrade you can do also.

Have ya got any yet ?!? Well what are ya waiting for ?!? :hmm:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Have you read any input on the matter? There is a lot of it already posted.

The decision is, of course, up to you. Correct springs installed correctly in the OEM forks are a large improvement over the original setup. Suspension work is usually overlooked in favor of bling..and that is always a mistake.

Have you set the sag on your shock?

..that sort of thing. Before you spend money on stuff, setup what you've already got.

If replacing the springs is all you are likely to do...it sure costs less doing that than putting on a KX (or any other USD) fork set. It rarely works that way, though. It's change one thing..then it's another..then change some other thing.

If you're headed toward sinking $700 in your OEM forks..that is a waste of time and money pure and simple.

You don't have to be an mx-er jumper dood to appreciate a good KX fork set. You will notice the difference in woods riding within a couple of minutes of riding with a decently setup USD fork pair.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:47 am Feb 27 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

A big improvement can be had by using, say, '96 XR 400 springs at .40 KG/cm or '99 XR 400 springs which are .42 KG/cm. Big improvement.

However, putting on even old, leaky, dirty, poorly set up USD forks is night and day. There is no way to compare, IMHO, and I was skeptical.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:A big improvement can be had by using, say, '96 XR 400 springs at .40 KG/cm or '99 XR 400 springs which are .42 KG/cm. Big improvement.
I just picked up a pair of '99 XR400 springs. They are longer than the stock KDX 220 springs. Too long to use the stock spacers and not long enough to take the spacers out.

Is there someone out there that knows what I should do in order to use the XR springs?
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Ya better post a new thread, or your gonna be a Hi jacker. :wink:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I didn't see the new post...??

Re: ' what I should do in order to use the XR springs? '

Buy some schedule-40 1" PVC, cut spacers to suit.

Personal likes vary...10mm preload is fairly common. I much preferred 3-5mm on the OEM forks with my XR springs. Oil @ 115mm is a good place to start.

Consider the source

jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Will 93 Kx 123 (blue ones) (also 43mm) fit into the stock kdx triple clamp since they are both 43mm forks? How much of an improvement will it be over stock?
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

well, they're still inverted, so it's an improvement, they also have rebound and compression adjustment, but if you were going to do the swap, you might as well get some late model stuff.
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Good points. They would be a pretty good improvement. But, would they fit my stock triple clamp? (may be a stupid question, just wanting to make sure).
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Will 93 Kx 123 (blue ones) (also 43mm)..'

I will assume you mean KDX USDs? And I won't assume anything about the '123' part, 'cuz I have no idea what that means.

I know someone here knows the answer to the KDX part of that..I don't recall.

A check thru BuyKaw or RonAyers on bearing numbers between the two may tell you something. I don't recall either if the bearings are the same.

OK...so I checked it for you...

Oh...you meant KX 125, right?

'93 KDX 200 'E' series
Bottom 92116-1008
Top 92047-017

'93 KX 125
Bottom 92116-1069
Top 92116-1076

'00 KDX 200 'H'
Bottom 92116-1069
Top 92047-017

Looks like the answer in either case is, 'No.'

BTW...the 43mm part of the '93 KX125 sure hadn't better be the UPPER tube! Right? The fact that the inners on both bikes are 43mm doesn't matter 'cuz either of them is 'upside-down' from the other.

Go to Buykawasaki.com, click on the 'owner info' (I think it is), bookmark THAT page and you will be able to check on part numbers for yours and other bikes.

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

So the "bottom" is the same, what does that mean?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

???

It means they are the same. :hmm:

I don't understand the question.

The bearings are the same, which was the subject of the whole thing.

If the bearings are the same, that means the ODs of the different stems are the same...and the frame IDs are the same.

But...if they BOTH don't match (upper and lower bearings) you cannot exchange stems. Actually, considering all possibilities the bearings could match and the stem length could still be a problem (where different thread patterns start/stop). You can generally use spacers of some sort to get past that (as with the KDX/KX fork swap).

That fact being completely separate from the triple clamp fork holes matching the tube size.

Sheesh...

There are TWO different things going on...stem fit/swap and tube size. The question in regard to tube size and fitment in the clamps is off 'cuz the fact that two sets of inner tubes are the same size has nothing to do with them fitting. When you turn them upside down, the size of the inner tube and how it fits in the clamps is a non-issue.

Surely that is clear!?

..and don't call me Shirley.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:36 am Mar 08 2007, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Cool. I probably don't know this stuff because I've never taken apart/worked on forks.
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

I just wanted to know if the 93 KX 125 forks would fit into the OEM 1996 KDX triple clamp. That way i wouldn't have to get a new triple clamp and i wouldn't have to get the stem pressed out.

If i am going to get a new triple clamp and have the stem pressed out, i will opt for new forks. It would just save me some time and money if the 93 KX 125 forks (tubes) would slide into the OEM KDX triple clamp.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Why waste your time.... your not gaining anything but work. If your going to do it.... do it right.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

yeah jowens, if you have your stockers set up correctly (springs) then just ride for a while and wait to do the conversion with newer stuff. I plan on running this years enduro/scramble season, and going for the fork and possibly shock conversion in the winter.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RE: 'I just wanted to know if the 93 KX 125 forks would fit into the OEM 1996 KDX triple clamp.'

..and your question was answered?

There is NO USD fork that is going to fit INTO the '96 KDX triple.

PLEASE tell me you understand why that is intuitively obvious to even the casual observer!

Thanks.

Where's KD when he is sorely needed? I plainly need a talkin' to agin'............ :roll:

Consider the source