****Is it worth it

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXforlife

****Is it worth it

Post by KDXforlife »

I have been having second thoughts about supping up my Bike. Can i race my 2001 KDX 220R in an enduro and do fine with it being bone stock. Or is it pretty neccisary to have modifications. What do you think people that have raced.
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

It all depends on your skill level. If you are racing for first, yes mods are in your future. But if you want to race to say you raced and have fun you CAN do it bone stock, some mods would probably help. Make sure the suspension is set right for your weight first off that will make any other mods you may do more effective.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KDXforlife

Post by KDXforlife »

Yeah i have been riding for a while just never have raced and so it would be higher races i think
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: ****Is it worth it

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
KDXforlife wrote:I have been having second thoughts about supping up my Bike. Can i race my 2001 KDX 220R in an enduro and do fine with it being bone stock. Or is it pretty neccisary to have modifications. What do you think people that have raced.
Short answer--Yes. Just ask Janik aka, Juanick, Yawnick, Wonnick, Jaunneek, Yanik, Jannick, Yannick, Yhanique, Yawneek, Yaunnick, the list goes on and on...aka--thebleakness.

Long answer--after riding and racing for awhile, you will probably find yourself wanting more performance in certain ranges of the power.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXforlife

Post by KDXforlife »

What is the best thing i can do with my bike
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think you need to stop worrying about what you are going to do with your bike and ride and enjoy it while your on this earth. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

The very best thing you can do, as Inda said, is ride. :grin:

Saddle time is worth AT LEAST as much as any mod...at least for the first quite a while.

The mods will make more sense to you after you've really gotten to know the bike as it is. :wink:
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

At the novice level a stock kdx is all you need, machine-wise. Make sure your bike is well-prepped so you have no mechanical problems to distract you from the ride itself. A stock kdx will clear any obstacle in an enduro and is less tiring than many other bikes being ridden today.

A bone stock KDX is capable of winning a novice level enduro class or novice level hare scrambles - or more...
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
KDXforlife wrote:What is the best thing i can do with my bike
Take Inda's, GS's, and kawagumby's advice. :wink:

Also take radonc73's advice...suspension set for your weight, skill level and type riding is the most important "Mod" you can do to any bike. Next would be good rubber for your terrain.

Once those are set, you'll know where you want improvement in your bikes power delivery as you gain more experience. All the information and knowledgeable old folks will still be here when your ready to make the mods to improve or change the characteristics of your machine.

The only other thing I would add...riding buddies will typically let you take a spin on thier machines once they get to know you and your skill level. Take those opportunities. It'll give you an opportunity to feel some of the differences in machines and may give you some insite into what you would like to get out of the KDX.

Have fun...
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
thebleakness

Re: ****Is it worth it

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:>|<>QBB<
KDXforlife wrote:I have been having second thoughts about supping up my Bike. Can i race my 2001 KDX 220R in an enduro and do fine with it being bone stock. Or is it pretty neccisary to have modifications. What do you think people that have raced.
Short answer--Yes. Just ask Janik aka, Juanick, Yawnick, Wonnick, Jaunneek, Yanik, Jannick, Yannick, Yhanique, Yawneek, Yaunnick, the list goes on and on...aka--thebleakness.
QFT. :supz:

My KDX was stock performance wise my first race. I just had the recommended guards and a more of less correctly jetted bike. Get out, race and have fun. I'm not a very fast rider but at all but even my meager skills get me ahead of others racing. In the hands of a capable rider (I'm not capable) the KDX will do fine.

You'll want to (or maybe not..) upgrade something to achieve more desirable performance characteristics. Myself I wanted more top end/faster revving so I bought the FMF Gnarly Rev K-30 and so far I'm loving it.

My tentative plan is too spend some money here and there upgrading my KDX while saving up for something faster/newer but that'll be still be awhile and so I might as well make what I can out of the mighty KDX.

Stop worrying, hop on your KDX and ride. Like Inda said, enjoy it while you've got the chance. :partyman:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ride while you can!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Just have fun and ride it for now. I see lots of people out there on stock KDX's having a blast. When the time comes to modify your bike (if it ever does), you will know. Before you mod your bike, make sure you have the best safety gear you can get. Bikes are replaceable, people are not. Good luck! :mrgreen:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I am running a stock bike currently, but my fatty pipe should be in this week. I am going to be in an H/S in april, i'll have the pipe (not needed) heavier fork springs ( should be a big help), and I'll also be running guards. If it came down to it and I had none of this done, I'd go anyway.

Just have fun! You'll have a much different perspective after you've been through a race!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

To answer your question about riding an enduro stock; yes, but......
Put hand guards on. Then prep your bike to at least be able to finish a race like an enduro. They aren't called enduros for nothing. The ride AND the bike must ENDURE the entire course. So, how do you "PREP" a bike? Start with the basics;
fresh oil
clutch adjusted
jetted right
clean air filter
swingarm lubed
axles lubed
brakes bled proper
good tires
spokes adjusted right
air filter plus a spare
fresh fuel
head bearings lubed
suspension adjusted correctly
throttle cable lubed
have tools onboard
spare cables
learn to change a tire fast and have tire changing kit onboard
Along with the bark busters, get other guards like radiator, skid plate and pipe.

You can't finish a race if your bike can't finish the race. It has nothing to do with motor performance in an enduro past the fact that the motor must be running as it's supposed to run. Most enduros have a max speed average for the fastest section of 21 mph. Can your KDX go 21mph? of course it can, but can you pilot a KDX at 21mph over some of the most gawd awful terrain some sicko course master layed out? Well now, that's the challenge of an Enduro.

I can guarantee you will finish in the top 25% if you can understand the rules, keep time and FINISH THE RACE!!! These aren't easy races and you will find yourself at a point where you will be thinking that it's no longer fun and you will want to bow out f the race. DON'T!! Hang in there as long as you are physically able and the bike is running. You will be more than happy you did. It's an accomplishment just to finish an enduro and not "hour out". (See? There's an enduro term that you need to understand already)

Do a ride report after your race and let us know how you did. Enjoy the ride, I wish I did more riding and less everything else.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

I personally think the best thing you can do for your bike is have to the proper front and rear suspension set up...We all know about how unbalanced the KDX suspension is from the factory...and I can tell you that the single biggest improvement I ever made on any of my modern and vintage bikes was proper suspension set-up....I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Power doesn't matter if you can't get it to the ground. My 2006 Husky WR 250's suspension was ok OTB, albeit stiff, but when I rode it after the new springs and a revalve I was so much smoother and subsequently faster...DITTO with the KDX, and all I did with it was use the correct rear and front springs for my weight...As a matter of fact I rode it yesterday, and I'm always amazed just how fun this bike is...So for me, it's suspension first (to include tires), and then the powertrain (pipe,reeds,torque ring,airbox etc...). This bike is a blast and I'll tell you that I'll definitely be racing it, along with the Husky, this Spring.
Skoalman
2017 Beta 300RR
1997 Suzuki DR650
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
1983 Husqvarna WR 430
1982 Husqvarna WR 430
1979 Bultaco 370 Fontera
1979 Maico 400 GS
1978 Maico 400 GS
1979 KTM 400 GS
1978 KTM 400 GS
1977 Penton 250 GS