Moose Barkbusters and MSR Dominator bars

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Moose Barkbusters and MSR Dominator bars

Post by gtoron »

OK so I took the advice of you guys on the board and ordered a set of aluminum bars instead of messing with the stock steel ones as they are a nightmare to mount barkbusters to.

Well the saga continues!

I finally get some time to mess with the bike and go and trial fit the Moose barkbuster to the bars and guess what? The clamp for the barkbusters ends up exactly were the cross bar clamp sits. So I can't get the barkbuster (grip end) to fit anywhere near flush with the ends of the bars. Is this normal or just poor engineering? The barkbuster need to move in about a 1 1/4" to stay flush with end of bars.

This is even without cutting the bars down. If I did that the problem would be even bigger.
Can anyone offer advice? I never thougt adding BB's would be this much of a pain! This should have been much easier that it has turned out to be. :mad:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's common.

The two need to 'fit' together, and (you now know) NOT all do.

In such cases where the two obviously aren't going to fit, some modification must be done..from moving the cross bar to removing the crossbar, or maybe completely reconfiguring the mount location/method of the bark buster/guards.

Or...get something that does fit..say a set of guards that mounts to the top triple instead of the bar. No, I don't have a make/model/year in mind for that, I just know some do. Cycra guards have a variety of mount methods.

So...no good advice...nothing that will make it easy anyway. I've not tried your particular brand of setup, but I've tried more'n a couple..and they all have their problems.

I'm sure it's doable..but some modification is almost certainly required. It's not an easy-schmeasy five minute job.

Sorry 'bout that!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

On mine I had to remove the crossbar to fit the barkbusters, then I reinstalled the crossbar

PITA but it worked

I have Tusk bars cut down to 28-29" with Pro Taper aluminum barkbusters
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Thanks for the info guys! Actually after cooling down a bit and looking at the setup I have I may have figured it out.

Will let you guys know how things work out. :wink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good deal!!

Pics to follow I'm sure............. :pop:

Consider the source

gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Good deal!!

Pics to follow I'm sure............. :pop:
I can take some pics....but i don't know how to post them :oops: :oops:
macodi

Post by macodi »

I ordered the same Moose guards and ended up cutting an inch off each side of the bar. Being a woods rider I'm sure it will help if it hasn't already. :wink:
Mark
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
macodi wrote:I ordered the same Moose guards and ended up cutting an inch off each side of the bar. Being a woods rider I'm sure it will help if it hasn't already. :wink:
Exactly as I figured It seems if you get the clamp further down the bar it allows some clearance. :supz:
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

OK I cut the bars down 1" per side. This reduced overall length to a little over 29''

It seemed to have made all the difference in the world as it allowed the clamp to attach past the crossbar clamp.
Will let you know how it works when I get everything bolted up.
FYI I cut the bars down with a tubing cutting like a plumber would use.
It took a while to cut through as it is much thicker than copper pipe but it came out nice and clean.

I used a Dremel tool to clean up any sharp edges and was done....with that part at least. :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

31" would be pretty wide for riding indawoods.

Re: 'This is even without cutting the bars down. If I did that the problem would be even bigger.'

I didn't understand that..didn't bother asking, either. You're the one looking at the setup..you can determine what's go and what's no.

And so you did!

Good Deal!

You will appreciate the tubing-cutter edge when it comes time to change grips. Much better edge than if cut with a hacksaw/grinder...even if it's filed.

Consider the source

macodi

Post by macodi »

Why didn't I think of the tubing cutter...and I even have one. I won't talk about my hacksaw accuracy. :rolleyes:
Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I tried the tubing cutter... bottoms out after about half way through.... found an alternative... it's called a Cut-Off Wheel! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
macodi

Post by macodi »

I didn't take the bars off the bike. Did it on the trailer with a couple extra tie downs. Do I win any kind of laziness award? :razz:
Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:butthead: That work for ya? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
macodi

Post by macodi »

What kind of soap do you use for a mental image? :shock:
Mark
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

soap?

I used a sawzall
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I guess this would be better since you didn't take that the way you shoulda! :kick:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

macodi

Post by macodi »

No, it was great. My first award! Aww yeeaaahhhh
Mark
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I tried the tubing cutter... bottoms out after about half way through.... found an alternative... it's called a Cut-Off Wheel! :grin:
The cutter I used was for up to 1" and my bars are 7/8 not the fat bars that some people use.
Were your the fat bars?
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Like CC said, fitment problems abound with barkbusters. It took a while to make my Fredette barkbusters fit my MSR bars. One good hit on a tree and those MSR bars got bent, so I bought a set of Renthals since I heard their quality is so good. Now I get to fit my BBs to those bars; hopefully all will go well, but if not, I'll get the Cycras I want and be done with it.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure