Did I get the right pipe for NW riding?

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

Did I get the right pipe for NW riding?

Post by SteveWR450f »

I have a brand new left over 04 220 that I got last November. Carb and Head were modded by RB. VForce 3 reeds with FMF rev pipe. Also dropped front sprocket a tooth. (Eventually, I might go back to stock front sprocket and add 1 -2 teeth on the rear.)

Have not rode the bike in the hills yet because still working on the KX fork conversion. Probably no substitute for riding the bike but I have been wondering . . . did I get the right pipe? Was really leaning towards the torque pipe until I looked at the Fredette website that recommended the rev pipe.

I ride in slick, rocky, rooty stuff with lots of hill climbs. Does anyone have a bike similar to mine. Was wondering if anyone has tried both pipes.

Thanks for your time. Steve
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You did good Steve! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

'03 with same mods except I have the torque pipe and I run 13/50.

Mine is very manageable in the low end (putta-putta-style) and can rev well until it hits that famous dead spot (where I just shift to make it all better).

I have no idea how much extra low-end my PC Plat II give me (Pro Circuit told me over the phone, "some") but I appear to need that "some" more than I need the extra revs on top. But the better I get with throttle and clutch on hill climbs, the less I need it, and the more I notice the flat top end.

Currently, I'm just fine with it.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If my 200 goes anywhere it needs to with a -30..no reason your 220 won't.

Worry less.

Ride more.

Besides, it's not irreversible.

Crazybrit is looking to swap his torque for a rev (maybe I have that right). He lives in your area. Maybe you could arrange a swap and a test ride or two between y'all.

Worst case..buy a -35 and try it out.

The -30 is the choice of most 220 riders....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Thanks everyone. I definately need to ride more and worry less. This site is full of great information and gets my mind going too much about "what if" changes to the bike.

Steve
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!