squishy forks

Got questions? We got answers....
remington0404

squishy forks

Post by remington0404 »

as i said in the other post i just bought the bike so be easy on m :grin:

so my question is what causes forks to be "squishy"( i don't know the proper term to describe it) heres what i mean... when i put on the front break and press down on the handle bars the forks compress what i would believe to be to easily. when i bought the bike the guy said the fork oil would need changed... would this fix the problem or is more than just that. also ( i dunno if this is normal) but when i push down and let off they make like an air sucking sound)

can i adjust both rebound and damper on stock kdx forks?

thanks in advance
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Soft fork springs or low oil level. I would say if you weigh more than 150 the stock springs are too soft for your weight. Go to the racetech site and put in your bike and weight and see what they say you should run. I have heard they are a little on the stiff side with their recommendations but don't know for certain. Also check your oil level if it had ever leaked they are probably at least not even in both tubes.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Immediately buy some KX forks and don't look back! :wink:

Changing the oil isn't going to make a difference... only changing the springs will and you will only have minimal adjustability with the KDX forks.... like I said... go KX! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
remington0404

Post by remington0404 »

i thought about the kx thing, but it seems like it would be a bit pricey, and easily messed up lol.
BlackStormy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BlackStormy »

>|<>QBB<
remington0404 wrote:i thought about the kx thing, but it seems like it would be a bit pricey, and easily messed up lol.
It really isn't bad. I have about $400 into mine, and it can be done much cheaper. Just do your homework on here and you will have no problems. I was surprised how smooth it went.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I did my brothers for $183 :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

My conversion was just a smidge over $100 including rebuilding the forks.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E