K & N filter

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I was never saying the fit of the filter had ANYTHING to do with how much dust it let into the motor.'

Neither did I.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

If CC wants one then they MUST be good. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, they possibly have a fit issue, they DO have a filtering issue and the price is, well, bend over... :butthead:

My advice is don't waste your time, money and possibly your engine. Get a tried and tested Uni or TwinAir filter and have some peace pf mind. :partyman:

Or buy the K&N and let us know how you like it... :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
KDXer wrote: Uni or TwinAir filter and have some peace pf mind. :partyman:
Least til it falls apart :wink:

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
grump99

Post by grump99 »

:shock: :sad:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
KDXer wrote: Uni or TwinAir filter and have some peace pf mind. :partyman:
Least til it falls apart :wink:

Image[/quote]

Never seen a TwinAir do that. If you don't use the proper cleaning procedure you will eat the glue away like pictured above. :rolleyes: What is that ?? A Uni ?? They are known for having crap glue that gets eaten away if you use harsh chemicals.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Used just good ol' gasoline :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Makes no sense to me.... if you can see through it... dirt can get through it. :?
Take a look at the material the K&N uses, you can nearly see through it. It doesn't filter as good as a foam filter, but it does let alot more air get through, which in turn, up's your motor's performance. Its a risk, more horse power, with a bigger chance of something getting to your motor, or less air with a foam filter, and little to no risk for your motor.

If you do decide to run the K&N, i would suggest their little filter covers (not sure of the name).

But if i can buy a K&N filter and the little covers for it, and it fit good, and get more power, and be safe for the motor (with the covers), i will shell out the fifty bucks for it. :supz:
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:??

The fit of a filter that lets 'the most' dust in an engine is rather beside the point, is it not?

Who cares how something that doesn't work fits?

And then say you want one?
Bofus wrote: This piston fits perfectly!!!
Refus wrote:But it's gotta HOLE in the top of it!!
Bofus wrote:But it FITS perfectly!!
Goober wrote:I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I WANT ONE!
:hmm:
You said above, the fit of the filter that lets the most dust in an engine is beside the point.

We are talking about a K&N filter. You were talking earlier of how the K&N would fit on a KDX. I haven't seen one a KDX and was wondering about the fit of it. We were also discussing that the K&N may let more dust, dirt, sand, ect, into the motor. So no, it is not beside the point to talk about the K&N because i am wondering about the fit of it, and i'm wondering about the filtering capabilties.

I never stated that the filter didn't work. I stated that if it fit correctly, i would like to have one. The filter does work, maybe not as well as a foam filter because the foam is much more dense and the air has more to go through, therefore it gets filtered better, but the flow is hindered compared to the K&N. So again, the K&N works, but probably not as good as a foam filter.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Has there ever been an issue with the air flow of a foam filter?
Not that I can recall.... so... why a K&N?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:??

The fit of a filter that lets 'the most' dust in an engine is rather beside the point, is it not?

Who cares how something that doesn't work fits?

And then say you want one?
Bofus wrote: This piston fits perfectly!!!
Refus wrote:But it's gotta HOLE in the top of it!!
Bofus wrote:But it FITS perfectly!!
Goober wrote:I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I WANT ONE!
:hmm:
CC your post are typically quite amusing as well as informative...if not a tad confusing at times? But, this is the funniest post I've read in a long time. Then again, it's pretty late and I only had 4 hours sleep last night.

KN filter without a filter skin (or thier expensive "pre charger" aka filter skin) here in the desert will let most of the desert into your engine. Also, a high flow filter is more effective on a 4T as they are just Air pumps anyway. More flow in and out = more power. A 2T works with a supercharger type effect and the benefits are not the same. I would venture a guess that you would not feel (seat of the pants) the differnce between a well jetted KDX with a foam filter, and that same bike well jetted with a KN.

Except your wallet would be thinner and your risk of particles passing into your engine will increase. There are many mods that have benefits that are worth the added cost. I don't believe the KN is one of those. But, you should judge things on your own. Let us know how it works out.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Has there ever been an issue with the air flow of a foam filter?
Not that I can recall.... so... why a K&N?
No not that i can recall, and i never said there was an issue with the air flow of a foam filter. BUT, a K&N does provide better airflow. Why a K&N you as? The power increase may be too small to notice, but then again it may not be. We won't know until we test one. Thats why.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Just go for it, you know you want to. :supz:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's your motor..... :pop:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

My wife tells me that I ask alot of stupid ???. Now see what you have done. :oops: :oops: Far too many user on this site to let a good thing go unnoticed. No pro's yet. :neutral: hmmm
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So... now that we slammed K&N real good.... and you guys slammed my Ready filters... which is worse? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think both K&N and the Ready filters are the best.
They polish your ports while you ride saving you lots of Dremmell tool time down the road.

:lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:So... now that we slammed K&N real good.... and you guys slammed my Ready filters... which is worse? :mrgreen:
Flip a quarter 50 times and record the results.
Tails=K&N, Heads=Ready Filter

At the end of your scientific quarter testing, let us know th results. :mrgreen:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm not planning on running one on the KDX

Out of the two I do have, neither one can you even come close to seeing through, :?

And cost? well the price of a Vstrom factory replacement throwawy filter is about $40, K&N was only $8 more
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))