Do you put grease in the airbox?

Got questions? We got answers....
jhard527

Do you put grease in the airbox?

Post by jhard527 »

I have an 86 KDX200 that I've been cleaning. I took the airbox out and apart and it looked as though there may have been grease between the element holder and the airbox. Anyone think that this is anything more than a dirty bike or is a grease bead between the two SOP? Any help is appreciated.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's what your supposed to do to keep dirt out.

Put the oiled filter on the basket... grease the element rim where it contacts the airbox to get a good seal. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jhard527

Post by jhard527 »

Actually the grease in question was behind the circular plastic piece that holds the aircage with wingbolts. Normal?
Last edited by jhard527 on 11:03 pm Feb 19 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you had an air gap there... then I can see why it was there.

Maybe time for a new filter?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
jhard527 wrote:Actually the grease in question was behind the circular plastic piece that holds the aircage with wingbolts. Normal?
Some bikes are noted to leak air and dust in this area bypassing the air filter. The addition of either weatherstrip sealant, or a fuel resistant RTV sealant, or a compressible foam or rubberized type gasket is a typical fix for sealing up this area. Grease would not offer as longterm sealing as would the others but in a pinch or for a short term solution it would be better than nothing IMO.

P.S. As Vince points out gease on the base foam portion of the air filter is also for a similar purpose.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine