O-ring chains... just a PIA or the best?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

O-ring chains... just a PIA or the best?

Post by Indawoods »

I have ran both o-ring and standard chains. I really prefer the regular type. O-ring chains bind up, are a pain to clean, hard to get the master link on, drag more and are more spinning mass. Down side of a regular chain? Can't think of any. I'm ditching my o-ring chain again.... not worth the trouble IMO.
If I'm missing something... let me know.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

The standard chain does roll easier and the master link is easer to install. If it were a pure performance issue the standard chain is the best. I don't think there has been a dyno comparison on the standard vs O-ring but it probably would be insignificant. The O-ring can be run all weekend, through dirt and water and not have to be oiled. You can clean, spray down, and wipe it off while it is still on the bike if you want. No need for to take cleaners like kero up to the camp site. No need for spray on cleaners that can attract dirt. No need to worry about water and mud crossings washing the lube out. I switched back to a standard once. After the constant take off, clean, dry, lube, install after each ride I said forget it. All I need now is a rag and WD-40. I like my DID X-Ring. And it's purty gold!
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That goes back to the "fiddle factor" :lol: I love to fiddle.... My o-ring chain binds because dirt gets trapped behind the o-rings from flex I guess and it drives me insane. I really don't mind taking the chain off and cleaning it...as long as I can get the darn thing on again without cursing it! I lube the heck out of the o-ring as I would a standard because of the binding factor.... it helps a little, but not like a nicely lubed standard chain.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sounds like a question for our ol' buddy J-burd :butthead:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:Sounds like a question for our ol' buddy J-burd :butthead:
Why...do you think he could put this issue to rest? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

bradf wrote: The O-ring can be run all weekend, through dirt and water and not have to be oiled. You can clean, spray down, and wipe it off while it is still on the bike if you want. No need for to take cleaners like kero up to the camp site. No need for spray on cleaners that can attract dirt. No need to worry about water and mud crossings washing the lube out. I switched back to a standard once. After the constant take off, clean, dry, lube, install after each ride I said forget it. All I need now is a rag and WD-40. I like my DID X-Ring. And it's purty gold!
I use the Chain Wax which doesn't wash or fling off and doesn't attract much if any dirt that I can tell. The only way I can get it to wash off is with a power washer. And the chain I'm getting is purty gold too! :razz:

http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_ ... d=00088758
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would imagine that a non-O-ring chain would not last as long under muddy conditions, since the dirt, sand, etc., can get down into the links a whole lot easier. I have read that the X-ring chains are less binding than an o-ring chain.

I bought a non-ring chain for my '87 since I hardly ever ride it in muck. My '94 has an o-ring chain right now. I think I will get another ring chain when replacement time comes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cicone

Post by cicone »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:Sounds like a question for our ol' buddy J-burd :butthead:
Agree with Brad. I like the xring best. Never had a binding problem. Easy to clean. Easy to lube. Those master links are a joy---I just get it on the back sprocket and tap the smallest screwdriver I have under the plate and gently tease it off. No big deal. Install same way on rear sprocket by sqeezing the plate on with channel locks or similar such pliers. The "other" Jay. :partyman: