Eric's 225/240 kits?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Eric's 225/240 kits?

Post by 2001kdx »

Have any of you guys done the eric gorr big bore? I understand that running pump gas and retaining equal fuel mileage might not work out, the power gains would be awesome, and the package you get for $400 is awesome. I will definitely get this mod when my next top end is due. If you guys have considered it, why have you not done it yet? I guess i'm the only one that would be willing to sacrifice 20% extra fuel consumption.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It isn't the fuel issue its the heat tranfer issue between an aluminium cylinder and a steel sleeve amoungst other things.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You sacrifice reliability... and have to rebuild allot more often. Not worth it in my book....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm not very found of pushing my bike :neutral:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

It only gets resleeved with a 240 kit and thats where the heat transfer problems might arise. I have mine 225'ed and love the way the bike runs. My reason for getting it 225'ed was that I had a crank go bad and that caused me to stick a piston badly (blew the whole top of the piston off). I requested to run on pump gas but had to run a 50/50 mix with race gas to avoid detonation. Then I some how managed to crack the intake bridge on that cylinder so I sent it back to Gorr and got a different 225'ed cylinder with stock porting and I am now able to run pump gas and the bike has never run better. I have been running the current cylinder for about the last three years and have done one top end on it last fall (it really didn't need it either). All in all I love the power the bike makes. My brother has a stock 220 and my bike has more grunt down low and completely smokes it up top. It will do 5th gear roll on wheelies with stock gearing if it has traction. The only other engine mods are a DFII, Gnarly woods pipe, and silencer. As far as fuel mileage goes I have never really kept track of it.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Still thinking about getting it... Get the mo betta porting and still have the choice of 2 pipes for a torquer or screamer.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I would follow moto's lead and keep the porting stock...His report seems to be the best I've read for a 225/pump gas....And thanks for confirming the 225 is NOT a sleeve job. That being said I'd completely shy away from a 240. Don't see why a 225 would be any less reliable or wear more than a 220...It's just his version of a 220 done right. SOmeone else can maybe elaborate here.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

If you want to a search on my experience with the LA sleeve 240 kit that I put in my 86. I've posted my opinion 3 or more times in response to different threads. I wouldn't do a bore kit again.....
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The 240 kit does not sound safe... The 225 kit doesn't seem too bad, maybe keeping the porting stock is a better idea. Next top end won't be until winter, so it's far off.

I'm actually still running the stock piston. My dad had an '81 Suzuki PE250, almost identical to the kdx250 of that year, that went 17 Years on the stock piston. It even got held wide open in gear laying over on its side for over 60 seconds during that time.