How can I improve my 2001 KDX220R

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXforlife

How can I improve my 2001 KDX220R

Post by KDXforlife »

I have a stock KDX220R and i was wondering what :grin: modifications i can do to it to make it a better bike.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Look at my bike stats below. A USD front end was the highest priority for me.
Further engine mods would include Ron's carb and head work.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
KDXforlife

Post by KDXforlife »

What did the FMF rev Pipe do for you because i am looking to get a new one
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: How can I improve my 2001 KDX220R

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXforlife wrote:I have a stock KDX220R and i was wondering what :grin: modifications i can do to it to make it a better bike.

How 'bout do some research?

Everything you ask is here :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

pipe reeds carb head suspension practice, the list goes on
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
KDXforlife wrote:What did the FMF rev Pipe do for you because i am looking to get a new one
There's a BUNCH of stuff you can do to your 220 . . .

the rev pipe is awesome, I highly recommend it. It adds power overall and extends your top end. The "woods" pipe is a choice for some, I believe it heavily favors the low end (that's what I've read here and other places and not from direct experience). Still others choose the Pro Circuit - I believe performance wise it's more like the rev pipe than the woods.

'Different ways to approach this. Use the search feature and ask questions first. Here's one way for a great start:

Repipe it (the rev on the 220 is a great choice BTW), open up the airbox, and rejet it. This will do wonders for power for about $225. Another $40 or so and you can add some Boyesen 607 power reeds.

Respring the forks. It is likely that the springs are too soft. You'll end up reducing some preload and removing a couple of shims from your base valve. This will do wonders for the suspension for about $100 or so.

Even if you go beyond the above - and you very well could - you can't really lose (at least not much) by going with what's listed above. Whatever you end up not using in the long run can be sold here by other eager KDXers (in fact, you might get some of the things mentioned here as well - the costs listed are for NEW items).

There are a number of people who have done these things and things like them, and they share their experiences and advice liberally - you came to the right place to get your 220 where you want it to be.

Good luck, take mods a step at a time, and enjoy!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!