KIPS Valve

Got questions? We got answers....
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KIPS Valve

Post by stringburner »

I'm still confused on this. When the engine is off, and you turn it by hand, should a properly operating KIPS snap back on it's own from the open position, or would it go open, stay put, then you have to roll it back to the closed position? I was thinking it was the latter from what I've read, but someone told me otherwise. Just wondering if mine is whacked or not...
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Don't worry about me I deleted my post, I thought you meant turn the engine over by hand, not the KIPS. :oops:
stringburner wrote:When the engine is off, and you turn it by hand
Last edited by KDXer on 09:58 am Feb 16 2007, edited 3 times in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you turn the KIPS shaft by hand... it will not "snap" back... but will usually slowly return to about 3/4 of the way. This is normal.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Inda-
Are we sure?
My recently cleaned KIPS doesn't "snap" closed, but it does close pretty quick, and all the way.
My detent ball and spring are out for now and I'm operating the KIPS through the left hand round cover with a 10 mm socket driver.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A clean one will... but just checking the KIPS midway through a season or without a recent cleaning... it tends to be carboned up a bit...not to mention spoo holding it back a bit.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

If I recall: On mine, with:

1)The right side kips cover off.

2)The claw gear that is on the end of the rod going down to the clutch side loosened and out of play (removed or turned so it doesn't contact the gear in the rh side behind the cover).

3)And viewing from the left side hole (the one you take off w/ a big ole' screwdriver).

It turns freely open and closed by turning the gear from the right side, but it doesn't return to any previous position on its own. That sound like it's operating properly? Or do I need to test it differently, like running, and/or w/ the actuating rod in place?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The Rod has to be in place... what else is there to return it?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Hey, stringburner!

There's two springs that makes the KIPS work.

The spring in the crank that activates the KIPs via the govenor rod - the rod with the claw at the top - gives you the "snapback". Under operation and enough RPMs there's enough centripetal force created to overcome the spring tension of THAT spring to compress it and push the govenor lever (a knob on the bottom end of the govenor rod). This twists the govenor rod. If you were to turn that rod right now - carefully - you'd feel the tension, and when you let go it should return.

At the same time this spring in the crankcase is being compressed, the "claw" you've loosened and moved out of the way is turning one end of the rod whose other end has the other spring (this spring is in the "left side hole the one you take off w/ a big ole' screwdriver"). This spring provides additional tension, working against the ball detent.

Without the claw attached, once you spin that rod you're trying to spin enough to pop the ball out of the detent, there's nothing to snap back.

It's a piece of work, the KIPs . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

So . . . the spring in the crankcase moves the pieces, and the spring on the actuator rod (or whatever it's called) holds things firm so that the KIPS "snaps" into action. If the actuator rod spring were removed the KIPS opening would be more gradual.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

I kinda was thinking the rest of the parts I took out of the equation had something to do w/ the "snapback", but I thought I read in the manual or someplace else, not to manipulate it w/o first detaching the claw actuator from the gear.

Thanks for the replies fellas. :partyman:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...everything is peachy?

IF you were by way of hamfisted action manipulate the KIPS without detaching the claw you would in effect be reefing on the LHT nut atop the claw without supporting the actuating rod.

That breaks things.

Nothing wrong with activating the KIPS via the nut under the LH slotted cover...just don't reef on it.
Re: 'If the actuator rod spring were removed the KIPS opening would be more gradual.

I wouldn't say more gradual, but the start of the KIPS movement would be sooner. Fredette use to either (I don't recall for sure which) remove that spring or put less tension on it by way of 'preload' on the spring (washers on the spring retainer bolt). Last I heard he quit doing that because he was of the opinion it didn't accomplish anything.

'Snap' back? No. 'Move' back? Yes. With the engine running it should move back to rest when the revs are down.

As you mentioned, you can check that movement via the LH cap when the engine is running.

Any failure to return to 'rest' when the rpm's are below activation-time will subtract from bottom-end performance.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!