96 Kdx 200

Got questions? We got answers....
jowens66

96 Kdx 200

Post by jowens66 »

I just aquired a 1996 Kdx 200. It has a Pro Circuit Platinum Pipe with a factory sound silencer. I have dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. I was wondering what i can do to make this bike have a ton of low end? Fly wheel weight? R&B Carb and Head? I want it to have four stroke like torque. Whats everyone's suggestion? Thanks
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

FWW, RB head & carb mod & Toulene :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

What wib said, AND switch your pro circuit platinum pipe to a torque type pipe, i.e fmf woods or pro circuit platinum 2.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

and get your jetting dialed in, if it isn't
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:What wib said, AND switch your pro circuit platinum pipe to a torque type pipe, i.e fmf woods or pro circuit platinum 2.
I wouldn't rush out and do this before riding the bike with some of the other suggested mods. You should always play to your strengths and the strength of the 200 mill is its all around power, top to bottom vs the bottom focused power in the 220's. Having the RB head and carb mods done along with proper jetting is going to go a _long_ way towards giving you significantly more bottom end than you currently have. Toss some 607 power reeds or VF3's in there and you'll find that you should be able to get the job done on the bottom and still move it out on top thanks to the rev profile pipe.

As an additional aside, all the power and performance in the world don't mean diddle if you don't have a suspension that works right. If you've still got the stock springs in the front and weigh over 135lbs you'll find significantly improved control by swapping out to heavier springs, and removing a couple of shims from the base valve along with an oil change.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Also, how much will reeds help? Will they help significantly with the stock carb? How much better are the VF 3's than the boysen reeds in the stock cage? If there is little difference, i would go with the boysen reeds. Moose makes a torque reed spacer, and was wondering if anyone had used this?

The piston is the original, the top end has never been rebuilt and i was wondering if adding a weisco piston would help since it has probably lost compression and such over the years. If i did this, then it would be worth getting the head mod done by R&B?

It seems the carb mod by R&B is the best add on for more power. Correct? Is the stock carb modified as good as the Air Striker Carb?

The fork springs are the stock ones, and i weigh a hair over 200 pounds. I have considered trying to put some KX forks on my bike, but it seems like a lot of trial and error and alot of tools i don't have.

Yes if possible i would like to keep the PC pipe and silencer that is on it if i can get enough bottom end out of the other mods. One more question and i swear ill shut up. Anyone used the FRP Torque Ring?

Sorry for all the questions, but man i love this bike and wanna get it the way i want it so ill have it ready to go in the spring time.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Also, how much will reeds help? Will they help significantly with the stock carb? How much better are the VF 3's than the boysen reeds in the stock cage? If there is little difference, i would go with the boysen reeds. Moose makes a torque reed spacer, and was wondering if anyone had used this?
check this
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... and+boysen
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Reed Spacer = no measurable gain
FRP Torque Ring = no measurable gain

Get some .40 springs from Fredette for your forks... rear spring SHOULD be changed to a 5.3 also.....

RB all the way! Modified Air Stryker is better from what i hear but I have a modified stock carb and really don't see how the AS could be better...

Do a compression check on your piston and i wouldn't worry about it til it needs rebuilt. If you get the RB head mod though... go ahead and do the topend also.... the rings should be fresh for the added compression.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I have considered trying to put some KX forks on my bike, but it seems like a lot of trial and error and alot of tools i don't have.
Depends what you call a lot of tools:
I just finished my conversion and the only tools I had to buy were: a torque wrench that I needed anyway, a piece of PVC pipe to change my seals (less than 5 bucks), a wrench for the steering stem nut and that's it!

Lots of trial and error? Nope, not if you read what's on the KX conversion forum and with everybody's help, it's fairly simple and easy.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

jowens66, use the search function. Also, I suggest going to the justkdx forum on dirtrider.net, because a search there can net you hundreds of topics.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You bet on the justkdx forum! You can find hundreds of important things like...oh...uh....the best oil to use!!
:wink:

THIS has some relevant points of view considering your questions.

'A ton of low end' means different things to different people. If you think you're going to turn the KDX200 into a CR500 or a CRF450..you're not thinking in the right direction.

If you want enough oomph to loop the 200 on a 28º slope even in the slime (wet clay)..that's not too tough.

If you send your carby in, NOT sending your head in at the same time is a waste of time.

Have fun!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!