Rosin-core solder thickness - help

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rosin-core solder thickness - help

Post by Jeb »

I tried this post in the RB Mod section but I'm hoping for an idea tonight so I can finish this up tomorrow and ship Friday . . . and I did some searching: rosin, solder, etc - no luck.

what size to use for the squish-band measurement for Ron Black's work? The biggest I could find at Radio Shack was .062"

I'm way off because tonight I even tried to flatten the ends of the solder such that when the solder was resting on the piston top, the solder was "thicker" perpendicular to the piston surface.

Also, where to get the solder? I know rosin-core is the type to use . . .

I've got the 220 of course, but I'm take some feedback from you "two-hunny" owners if you have a suggestion.

I've sent an email to Ron but his shop is closed so he might be unavailable.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The Manual does not have a spec for the squish band or head/piston clearance.

I have the Mod but have not measured it. If you must have it for some reason, I'm sure Ron will answer you...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

The exact thickness doesn't matter but .062 inch will not do much good. Go to Home Depot or Lowes or Ace Hardware and buy some rosin core solder for soldering copper tubing. Its about 3mm or .125 inch thick and will work fine. It is made for use with a handheld propane torch.

FWIW - You are attempting to buy solder for soldering iron use for electronics and this type will all be too thin: It will not result in a squished end which is uniform. I suspect Ron will be measuring each end with calipers and then averaging the two to determine your existing squish. The end of the solder when squished will be around 3/16 inch wide giving a good idea of the true squish.
Last edited by IdahoCharley on 10:45 pm Feb 14 2007, edited 1 time in total.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:The exact thickness doesn't matter but .062 inch will not do much good. Go to Home Depot or Lowes or Ace Hardware and buy some rosin core solder for soldering copper tubing. Its about 3mm or .125 inch thick and will work fine.
Ha! Exactly what I'm looking for.

When I picked up the solder that's way too small I was thinking that the clearances were much tighter . . .

Thanks Dr. Idaho!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Your welcome - neat icon. :grin:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

And there's some reasoning to do this? :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:And there's some reasoning to do this? :?
Reasoning to do what - measure the "squish"? I thought Ron needed to know the current clearance betwixt the head and the piston at top dead center (AKA the "squish band"). Ron takes this information along with the compression readings we provide to do his work.

Some instructions I found on the internet were to take a piece of rosin-core solder and place it over the top surface of the piston. You put your head back on (uh . . . cylinder lid), torque w/ gasket on, then by hand turn your magneto through TDC. The deformations at the end of the solder provide an easy way to measure your squish clearance.

Maybe I didn't have to do this?

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I certainly didn't have to do all that. Luckily because I would have needed to get the head shipped from USA to Australia, measure it, then ship it back to Ron, Ron mod the head and then return it to me. :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

me either, I had the mod before it became one of the "To do" mods
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Yeah, Ron emailed me back - I didn't have to fool with measuring the squish band (he already knows what it should be). I had read one of Ron's writeups on the net where he provided directions for measuring - a Gas Gas site I believe - intended for bikes with which he is unfamiliar most likely. I put that together with the comments on this site about the 220 head being "inconsistent" and reasoned that I needed to smash some solder . . .

at least I didn't screw something up this time!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Whew!! I'm glad this turned out as it did. I was on my way to thinking I'd done it all wrong the last 3-4 times just letting Ron do what he does best all by hisself!!
:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Sorry to stir up the confusion . . . again . . .

BUT ANYWAY - I'll have the carb & head off my "too-twinny" on it's way to you West-Coasties part of the world for some world-class machining!!

I'm really looking forward to this . . . and getting the USD forks together as well.

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

You won't know your bike once all thats done, thats for damn sure. :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

FWIW - It is not a bad thing to know how to do. :grin:

Actual squish measurements give a more exact measurement to the process and take into account cumlative differences between various tolerences in the manufacturing processes. Engine case (base of cylinder) to centerline of crankshalf, crankshaft throw tolerances , centerline to centerline bearing distance differences in lenght of rod, piston crown to centerline of small end bearing, overal cylinder height and machined head tolerances, and thickness of the base and head gaskets can all add up (instead of canceling out) and is likely one reason some bikes run better than others. Normally a manufacturing process makes engineering allowances for these variations and error on the conservative side of effeciency and performance.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

..hence the term 'blueprint', I think?

Ron has said the 220 heads in particular (saying NOT so as much of the 200) vary a lot.

Surely all of that stuff (and a good bit more) 'fit' into proper engine assy or design.

When I last put together my Duster 340 I did some looking around before I found a timing set that had a .004" shorter centerline that fit my particular put-together. What a treat! The 'regular' timing set slop was very distasteful to me. The 'shorter' set? Absolutely perfect!!

Why run a timing key when you can get a timing set that fits?

Why care? Ignition timing, mostly. Obviously cam timing, too (which indeed was spot on said the degree wheel..hardly EVER is). Take a look at spark jitter on a V8 with the distributor on the back of the motor..and you will be wishing you had squeezed out every bit of slop possible GETTING to that distributor drive!

Anywhoo....I'm sure you'll love it when it comes back!!

What are you running for reeds?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

RE: running for reeds - the 607s. I was impressed on how it changed low end throttle response. And I got a little more of that sweet "hit" around midrange (where probably has more to do my jetting and the CEL).

This stuff is very exciting . . . 'didn't imagine I'd be so captivated. :grin:

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Jeb - you really noticed an improvement with the 607's? I need to get a pair, they're so cheap.

Do you still wanna send the needles to me?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yes, 607's will really wake 'er up, as will the VFII or III (I know I know, I'm not Jeb)
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Jeb - you really noticed an improvement with the 607's? I need to get a pair, they're so cheap.

Do you still wanna send the needles to me?
I think all of the comments I've read concerning the 607s are positive - they're a worthwhile investment . . .

Once I'm RB'd a different kind of needle works better per kdxrider - I believe it's the CEK/DEK vs. the CEL/DEL needles that I have - so, yes, I'll send the needles to ya'

CLICK FOR PICS!