Tips on mounting new tires?

Got questions? We got answers....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXforlife wrote:It is way to hard to do it yourself i have tryed with screwdrivers it is much less of a pain to take it to a shop
But there's no fun in that
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
KDXforlife wrote:It is way to hard to do it yourself i have tryed with screwdrivers it is much less of a pain to take it to a shop
It's all technique. And practice. I can change most tires in less than 10 minutes. Infact, it's more of a pain to take a tire off the bike and put it back on than to actually change the rubber...but, that's me.

My tools...
1--5 gallon bucket
1--10" tire spoon
1--15" tire Iron
1--valve stem remover
1--air compressor
1--spray bottle with simple green, or windex, or soap and water...depends on which one I find first.

The techniques others have posted are all good. I've never used lube to pull the old rubber off or to lever new rubber on. For me, it just made the tools slipery. I use the windex/simple green/soapy water to seat the bead...many times, the 21" tires don't even require this step to seat the bead. As has been stated...there are many ways to change a tire.

One of the biggest issues is making sure the tube is all the way over the rim lock and out of the way when you are levering the tire on. Pinch a tube and there goes any savings in changing the tire yourself. Another key is to make sure and put the tire on so that when your levering on the final side...the brake rotor side is the one you're working on. Smashed knuckles into the sprocket suck! If I can do it...anyone can! :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

Here's one of the best tire changing threads I've seen, clicky.

It's a skill worth learning, and it only gets easier. If you can find someone, who's done it before, to help you the first time, it will go much smoother.

Good luck.