Ride Report

Got questions? We got answers....
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Ride Report

Post by dave04kdx »

I got a chance to put some miles on the KDX yesterday after the new top end, V Force III Cage and the RB Head Mod. HOLY S*&T what a difference. :mrgreen: My bike feels totally different, almost a hint of a 250 in there somewhere. Lofting the front wheel in third is just a twist of the throttle. Lots of low end grunt, better through entire powerband. My 10 year old even told me "Your bike sounds different, better". :mrgreen:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'd say 40% Top end 30% RB mod, 30% v-force. I have not done any of these mods. You're bike may have been tired out. Now Find SSS!
I'll do a ride report when i put on my woods pipe, just waiting for it in the mail. Anticipation is building!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I think I have too many Azirona Daves cornfused...but:

You're still running the 35mm carby?

**never mind** After reading through six pages of threads with a 'dave' in it, I found:

'My engine is stock except for the RB Carb...'

..but that was 1 1/2 years back.

NOW then...is that on a 10% toluene mix? Or..you don't use that anymore?

Xylene?

You left out too much good stuff!!!

Oh...are you running 'stock' timing?

AND...top-end break-in #1 or #2..and what DO those numbers mean? :hmm:

The VF3 is great fun, ain't it?? Glad to hear you like yours!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I still use the 10% toluene mix, it works well and I'll never run without it again.

I am running stock timing. Have you changed yours?

I guess I broke my top end in with the old school method. I ran it for (4) 10 minute sessions blipping the throttle. I allowed the engine to cool to ambient temperature in between the 10 minute runs.

The VF3 is great. I made it up a hill yesterday in 3rd gear that pre VF3 required a downshift to second. Granted the top end is new but I could feel something way different in the bike. Oh yea, I also had my head RB'd. Anyway, KDX is running way good! :supz:
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I have all of those mods, but I always wonder what my modded, and now 4-year old '03 would feel like if I put in, say, new rings, or new rings and a piston. It has the Wiseco from two years ago... just wonderin'.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: timing

I've changed mine back and forth a few times. Probably time to go through the process again considering recent changes made to my bike. The last go-round with timing 'spearmints' got me back to 'stock'. I don't need to enhance the bottom (advance) or the top (retard) for any reason. My bike runs fine wherever.

Actually..I don't WANT more bottom end and I sure don't NEED more top. The OEM timing seemed to be about 'in the middle' of things.

Yeah...toluene is something, ain't it?! I love that stuff!! (THANK YOU Ron!!) Guaranteed there are those (most) that will never try it and maybe don't have the bike tuned to the point it would even be of any use..but there are also some that won't get the ride they could have if they don't have a 'full disclosure' ride report!

Good to hear!! Thanks for the post!

Where do you run your air screw btw?

Consider the source

dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I'm still experimenting with my air screw. The weather has been all over the place this winter. 1 week of highs in the 40's and cloudy to 80 degrees and sunny the next week. Around 2 5/8 seems to work well on warmer days. Around 2 1/2 is good on cold days. We are heading to see my Mother-In-Law this weekend. Elevation is 3500 to 6500 ft in area that I ride at her house. It will be interesting to play with a/s there without messing with jetting and see how it works. BTW elevation here is 1300 ft.
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

>|<>QBB<
AZRickD wrote:I have all of those mods, but I always wonder what my modded, and now 4-year old '03 would feel like if I put in, say, new rings, or new rings and a piston. It has the Wiseco from two years ago... just wonderin'.

Rick
Hey Rick

A new top end in any of my 2 strokes always made a difference if the engine has a lot of time on it. It seems to me the "crispness" of a new top end doesn't last more than 50 hours or so. Maybe my imaginaton? :?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm curious about the SSS setting in this light:

Considering it has such an impact on 3rd gear pull (for example), I'm convinced the modified carb 'lo-speed' circuit adjustment has as much to do with fuel as it does air. I've experimented specifically with this only a couple of times..but there have been rides when temp changes significant enough to matter to air screw adjustment have turned out to be 'farther out' ran better when the temps dropped and 'farther in' ran better when temps rose.

Again, the range of that adjustment has consistently been less than 1/8th turn, but the effect is huge!

Your ride this weekend at significantly higher el. would be a good place to try that out.

Re: 'It seems to me the "crispness" of a new top end doesn't last more than 50 hours or so. Maybe my imaginaton?'

Time to try break-in #2. :wink:

Have a good ride!!

Consider the source

dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Rons carb mod is awesome. Its nice to have something actually work and in this case work better than advertized. My bike is jetted for around 1500 ft, around 70 degrees F. My son and I went riding Saturday around 3500 to 4000 ft. It was much cooler, around 55 or so. The KDX was blubbering a bit so I gave the A/S a bit more than an 1/8 turn out. She ran like a champ all day. I love the difference with the V Force III, head mod. The bike pulls like a tractor. Seems like I'm going on and on but I can't get over the difference from stock. :mrgreen:
luke347

Post by luke347 »

The only way I could see getting a HOLY S&#* difference was if some one was very mean and plopped a kx 250 engine in my kdx, and yes I have rode 250 mxers and to me thats a pretty big difference have you guys ridden 250 mxers just wondering on the scale from kdx to kx 250 where do all these mods put you? if its half way and your still wanting more power why not try to dull down the 250 mxer or a orange 250? or just ride a stock ktm or gas gas 200 reading all these good things about the mods make me wonder 2 things if it is like a ktm 200 why not get one 2nd thing is with all these mods to make it more like a ktm 200 isnt it gonna end up costing the same as the 200 with all your mods and kx front conversions and re valving? but maybe its still calmer than a ktm 200 but as much or little less power?
Just trying to find these things out, because i think im gonna go orange soon maybe a 200 who knows I dont really have the money for one right now though and dont see my self doing these mods to my own bike.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Having gone from the KDX220 to a KX250, I have to say it's a mixed bag.

They are different animals even modding the MX bike to Woods configuration. The KDX works fantastic for what it was designed for...tight woods type riding. Yes, my KX will handle that stuff...at a cost. You must be committed to the power. There is little forgiveness compared to the KDX. Modding the KDX mearly improves it's overall potential, but does not take away from it's designed purpose...great woods bike. It'll take to being ridden hard, and still shine when ridden easy. I haven't been on any MX bike that does this anywhere near as well as the KDX. There are things that my KX will do that the KDX will never do and vice versa. It's a trade off. The DRZ is a great dual sport bike...can you dual sport a KDX? Certainly. Will it be as good at this as a purpose built dual sport like a DRZ? No.

It's like the tire debate. There is no tire that does it all great. There is no bike that does it all great either. Same thing with the KTM200. It's a great bike...but it's not a trail bike. It's a race bike. Can you make it more tame? Yes. Will it still work it's best wrung out? Yes. Will it still cost a brazillion dollars? Yes. I haven't met one KTM200 rider that hasn't modded thier bike. Still have to do suspension. Still have to fit the bike to your likes. Except that they are typically $2000++ more expensive than a KDX. And I repeat, you still will have to mod it. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

good to last point, If I had an opinion on this subject it wood be as said by qc.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

luke: I've tried reading your post 4-5 times...only to end up every time with my eyes dancing in their sockets looking for phrasing, meaning...and some punctuation. It's like (I guess) a PSE attack from looking at a 7FPS strobe.

I get the sense from QC's response that you are comparing a KDX to a track bike?

If you are stuck with what you buy ('..don't see myself doing mods...), you are indeed stuck in any case.

Have fun riding a KX250 with 10-24s in the base valve in the woods!! You are going to get beat to death!!

Have fun flying a KDX220 over a 70' triple. You are going to die.

Just pick a color you like...go riding and have fun!

How's that?

We'll wait for 'ya!

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

RE: Have fun flying a KDX220 over a 70' triple. You are going to die.

Not a triple but tabletops I've done better than that by 5 foot with STOCK KDX forks. I wouldn't advise it but it is possible. Now with KX forks I've hit 85+ foot. There is a 100 footer I am yet to attempt. :twisted:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
GS

Post by GS »

KDXER said..."I've hit 85+ foot. There is a 100 footer I am yet to attempt.":shock:

SO....Mel is soon to be a ...rich.... widow???:wink: ........well .....a widow none-the-less.

Have her look up the fellas on this site when you're "done" :partyman: :sad:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:RE: with KX forks I've hit 85+ foot.
I think it's time for a new bike in the stable...
luke347

Post by luke347 »

Yea but even though the ktm 200 is 2000 dollars more how much are you guys ending up spending with your carb, head, forks, revalving and reed cages I bet if you guys put it up against the price of the ktm 200 you guys are spending maybe $500 less? Plus I know some of you guys are racing your kdx's with all these mods why dont you just get the ktm 200? If my racing become more competitive within the next two years I'll be riding the 200 or 250 xcf with some hand guards and a skid plate. From what I hear these days thats all you need with the new ktms even with just minor suspension changes.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A stock KDX with $700 worth of mods is all you need.

$1300 can get you a support vehicle..... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

A new 200xc-w would make a lot of people here a much faster woods rider, not because of power, but because of technology. If the kx forks was an amazing up grade, a new ktm would be a whole bike upgrade in the same way. I would love one.

Be sure to keep the kdx though.