Ride Report

Got questions? We got answers....
luke347

Post by luke347 »

700 dollars how do you figure? vf 3 are alone around 300 right? plus forks 300 dollars plus gold valves around 180? your already over 700 :mrgreen:
But wait we still have not adressed the rear suspension all im saying is in my mind it seems to be better to go with the ktm, way better technology for racing and im sure that its not half as bad as you guys make it out to be for trail riding.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

$300 for a vforce? Yeah... I got 10 I'll sell ya... 10% off! :lol:

Gold valves? Who needs em?

Rear suspension rebuild? $50 (a self service item! :wink: )
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
luke347 wrote:But wait we still have not adressed the rear suspension all im saying is in my mind it seems to be better to go with the ktm, way better technology for racing and im sure that its not half as bad as you guys make it out to be for trail riding.
You asked...answers were given...you determined what's best for you. Well, looks like you've got it all figured out. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

$1200 for the 2000 kdx 220, $1300 for a completely modified (plated,ported cylinder, milled head, bored carb from 33-36mm and a fmf pipe)newly rebuilt motor from Jeff Fredette. $200.00 new bars, seat foam and seat cover, 40 bucks into a kx fork conversion (sold KDX forks and wheel to off set the cost). 45 into stainless steel brake hose. hmm! thats 2785.00 now lets spend $400.00 on re-valving and shorting a 2001 RM shock that will bolt on to finish her off.$3185.00

I ride with guys on 06-07 bikes WR450- KTM 300 EXC- YZ250-KX-250-KTM-200 EXC W-YZ250Fs don't see the need in loosing 1000-1500 and spending another 5000 on any one of these bikes, for prestige, because this is all it would be. In an enduro type setting my bike rules the day, now if I rode in 2ft deep sand all the time and I would rather pick dingle berries than do that ,I would just have to have some more power.
further more the KDX or any bike with a properly tuned motor and suspension will go head to head, the only thing to make you better is more time in the saddle to work out the kinks an smooth out your style.
for 1/2 the price you can have a powerful usable plush and very forgiving ride. that will go two seasons of riding with out any real maintainance.

now If I had the kind of money to buy what I wanted I would buy a 2007 gas gas EC250 IT is the only bike I have had the chance to ride that feels like my KDX power and suspension but I will spend 400 on a new rear shock verses six grand on a new bike. I dont race so I dont need a race bike, I need a bike to go smooth and fast and not break down so I can have lots of fun. that is what the KDX does well just ask Jeff Fredette 26 ISDE 6 day finishes no DNFs.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

My costs:
low time 220: 2300
dmv 150
forks,wheel: 500 (USD)
pipe 200
bars, hguards 150
tires 120
reeds 40
rad guards 60
misc 300
flywheel 100
Total: less than $4K and I will take on anybody's KTM of any kind where the single track turns to poo -

The new Euro bikes are in no way significantly better than an older tweaked jap bike with custom suspension tuning. As was said before with greater eloquence than I am capable of; no bike does it all. That's why I'm also currenly rebuilding and customizing a sweet little KX 250 that will keep my KDX company in the warm, well-lit and plush abode once thought to be a garage. The combined cost of both is less than any new in-crowd approved KTM or even a WRoink, or CRFgrunt, or whatever. Mebbe some of us here like to roll up our sleeves and craft a machine that meets our criteria rather than buy the latest glitzomatic for 7 or 8+ grand.

And as far as I'm concerned, the new high-maintenance four-strokes are jive-toads foisted upon the masses with the same spin as war is foisted upon all of us by the military-industrial complexes of China, Russia and the US of A. So there.

Ah, I'm feeling better now....I think I'll lay down for awhile. :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I think Eric Gorr's moto was closest to the truth - ...it's 95% rider and 5% bike...

When Tavis or McGrath or RC or LR or any of the other experienced players hop on a bike - it doesn't matter the color - they are gone. Whoops - TAKE THAT BACK - MC did attempt the KTM and could not come to terms with the non-linkage suspension!!

P.S. That was hard for my Orange blood to cough out BTW. :sad:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine