Airleak when cold?

Got questions? We got answers....
krazyinski

Airleak when cold?

Post by krazyinski »

when I first start the bike cold in cold weather (50 degrees F for us here in Texas) with the choke on the bike fires and goes to a very high idle not a run away idle but close, the idle stays very high until it warms up a little or after a minute or two.
when the bike is warm the idle is fine. reeds have about a year of run time on them. the bike is jetted to a nats ass at running temps. I am looking for an answer because I am thinking this is a tell tail of something wearing out or worn, I would like to nip it in the bud.

could it be reeds ?

could it be choke plunger?

could it be the seal or gasket at the top of the carb were the throttle cable is ?

this only happens on cold starts with temps 60 or lower does not do it on 75 or 80 degree days.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Sounds like normal for a bike that is jetted correctly for running when its warmed up. I generally have to modulate my kill switch a couple of times when I first start the bike to get it to settle into a normal idle. Once the bike is hot it starts and idles fine.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sounds normal here too

I have to do the same, I press the kill switch about every second while I reach down and turn off the choke. Runs a little high til it warms up
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

well then I guess I am overly conserned with that high of a rev right of the bat, I have images of scorched metal in the cylinder.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Mine does the same thing until warmed a bit. Kind of makes you feel uneasy, doesn't it?
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I found the answer to my problem yesterday the high was 48 and the bike ran like a 125, every time I hit the gas she was a zinging or reving out to fast couldnt keep the front wheel planted or the rear from spinning. After the first 20 miles of frustration I thought I was just having an off day or my buddies 06 yz250f was just that much better than the old KDX. after a needle change and clip position change I was back on the run again the cool dry air just leaned her out way to much If I new the weather would stay cool and dry I would also change the pilot one size. I will be glad when they start putting f I on bikes.