Wanna ride but's it freezing!

Got questions? We got answers....
Johnny

Wanna ride but's it freezing!

Post by Johnny »

I want to take my KDX for a spin but the temperature here in Michigan is about 15° Just wondering if there is any way I could damage anything on the bike by riding it in these temps. Or if there is anything I should change in order to ride it.

Thanks

By the way, if anyone wants to ride indoors there is a track in Walled Lake Michigan called McCulloch's that you can ride at. I have been there three times and its pretty cool. There is a group of riders renting the place on Feb 17 from 9:00pm to 12:00 but you have to pay by today. Cost is $40.
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Just make sure your anti-freeze is fresh so you don't freeze up before getting started.

Last week we went to the desert and it was in the low 20's.

As I was getting dressed to ride I'm standing on a mat, in the middle of the desert, in 20+ degrees, in just my underwear thinking, I must be frigg'n crazy!
But, damn was it worth it when the riding started.

radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Maybe run a lighter weight oil in the gearbox, your oil may thicken in the cold.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
mattR

Post by mattR »

As long your jetting is okay, roost away.
97 KDX 220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Wear glove liners. I've had my hands get so cold they felt like a car ran over them!! They didn't feel cold, they felt like they had been smashed with a hammer.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

I am going to try the rotella 5W-40 synthetic and see how I like it. I currently have the Belray 80W gear lube and do not like it one bit. The guy at the Kawi dealer talked me into buying it even though I went in there for the Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic. As far as the jetting, I havn't messed with it at all since I got the bike in August and it has always run good. I would assume that in colder weather you would want a little richer jetting if I were to adjust???? Could I just turn the air screw in a bit to richen it up?

As far as the coolant goes, I am going to drain and replace with the cheapest 50/50 mix I can find at Walmart as long as it is safe for aluminum. And make sure I fill up the resovior.

Glove liners are a great idea along with some warm underwear to keep my pecker from freezing.

Thanks guys!!