Fork oil measurement

Got questions? We got answers....
vinny

Fork oil measurement

Post by vinny »

I purchased a Tusk fork oil measuring tool. You know the syringe with the plastic tubing and metal tubing. It was suggested to me that about 110mm of oil was what I wanted to start with. The manual states that standard is 80mm with adjustablity of up to 115mm. I measure down from the top of the inner tube to the top of the oil to check my measurement correct? Well in doing this It becomes clear to me that 110mm of oil is less than 80mm of oil. Now this doesn't sound right to me and given that the tool came with no instructions it has me feeling unsure. My bike is a 93 with factory usd forks

On a side note. I rebuilt the forks this weekend and noticed a strange washer between the clip and oil seal. I say strange because it had been cut with a pair of cutting plyers AND in all the drawings everywhere I have looked this washer doesn't exist. It's not in the manual, schmatics on any of the websites that I can find. The only one that it shows is the one between the oil seal and the outer bushing. So I took them out concidering they apparently don't belong and one was damaged. I hope that wasn't a mistake!

Thanks Guys
Vinny
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I measure down from the top of the inner tube to the top of the oil to check my measurement correct? Well in doing this It becomes clear to me that 110mm of oil is less than 80mm of oil
yep sounds right.

As for the "strangr washer" no idea... :hmm:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Oil level will vary depending on personal preference. Just like a lot of other stuff, 'eh!!??

The trapped air is an important part of shock action just as is the oil.

The only way you will know what you like the best is to try different levels. Ex: Set it to 110mm. Ride it for awhile. Add some oil (I've posted the math before..don't have it in front of me..figure volumes of the known tube area..come up with what suits 'ya). Like it? Better? Add some more! Not as good? Take some out.

Both the 'add' and the 'take out' can be done with the forks on the bike using the leveling tool or any other syringe/tubing setup.

That is where my 110mm number came from. I have tried various levels and liked that the best.

Maybe you won't!

There is no 'split' or cut washer between the clip and oil seal that I've ever noted. Maybe your seals were not both the same?

When it comes to figuring out what some people do under the heading of 'maintenance' or fixing stuff...you can waste a lot of time trying to figure the unfigurable.

Yes. 110mm level is less oil than is a 100mm level.

BTW...why do some riders go to the trouble to rig subtanks? MORE AIR!

Obviously an oil level of 24" isn't going to work. It's simply a TUNING process..again...change to suit!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
vinny

Post by vinny »

I'm not a pro on seals but the ones I removed looked like a very cheap kind. They didn't look like they would hold up under pressure very well. I put race tech back in and just looking you could tell the diffrence. The race techs actually had a internal spring like a grease seal, the old were just rubber. Maybe the washer came with the cheap seals :?

Vinny
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Maybe the washer came with the cheap seals.'

That is obviously incorrect.

The washer that comes with CHEAP seals looks like a regular one-each washer.

The washer you described was modified for improved seating, angular fractional ability and psion-indicated wiping action. THAT kind of washer comes only with MODERATELY priced seals...not CHEAP seals.

Sheesh.... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!