Clutch issue

Got questions? We got answers....
ricke9590

Clutch issue

Post by ricke9590 »

I tore down the engine of my 1991 Kdx 200 a few months ago, got a new piston/rings and full new gasket set up. Well I got side tracked and just forgot about it for awhile. So I put it back together yesterday, all went well until I went to put the clutch cover on, it was a fight (I did not remove the clutch its self, just the 5 bolts with springs) the clutch seems to be pushing up on the cover and the handle is really hard to pull/ with no spring back. I know I did something wrong but its been to long from when I tore it down, any suggestions?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You took out/off only the bolts and springs?

Why did you do that? To what end?

Explain how you put the bolts/springs back in.

You torqued them to....what?

'..pushing UP on the cover.'???

Up?

Describe the 'clutch cover'.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
ricke9590

Post by ricke9590 »

Clutch cover = round case over the clutch with 6 bolts.

I just put the bolts back in didnt really torque it down that hard..... maybe 15 ft lbs, thinking the plate needed some spring action to make the clutch work, prolly wrong on this part.....

pushing up the cover was vague sorry, its pushing out agaist it, instead of just bolting on persay, if I wanted to install that cover I would have to use the bolts to actually torgue it into place

Honestly I dont know the reason it came off, dont even remember why or if I did it, had someone helping, had way more stuff come off then i really needed in the end...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Tighten those clutch bolts down... they don't work off of the springs!

Then make sure your actuator arm is seated in the bottom hole of the cover before you put the cover on and you should not have any problems....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Whoa!!!!!!!!

STOP!!!!

The torque on those bolts is QUITE small!!!! That was the point of my question. REEF on 'em and you will break the pedestals they thread into..and you may have exactly what you gots now!!!

Did you use a torque spec? Do you know what it is?

Yeah...the actuator rod IS square to the cover, right? It's not wonky (indicating what Inda said).

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well now...sure a lot of answers posted here in the last hour or so..

The spec in the 'H' manual is 78INCH/lbs.

That's 6 1/2 ft/lbs.

At the 15ft/lb stated, that's approaching 2 1/2 times the spec value.

Time to take it apart and find out what's wrong...look for broken bolt bosses.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I also suspect actuator rod is not on the flat spot.

Get a manual. Get a torque wrench. Learn to use it. With these bikes, it's pretty important to not overtighten anything.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ain't that the truth! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
The spec in the 'H' manual is 78INCH/lbs.

That's 6 1/2 ft/lbs.

At the 15ft/lb stated, that's approaching 2 1/2 times the spec value.
Well, I'm not even 6 1/2 feet so when I stand on the socket wrench it should only torque it to say....50 inch pounds? :lol:

Serious though.... when those bolts tighten up... I just snug em a little more. I don't feel there is a reason to use a torque wrench on those myself but for those that are new to mechanicin.... I would suggest it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Thats all i do. Get em tight, then just add a little nudge. :mrgreen:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Get used to a torque wrench and soon your hand becomes educated as Vince is hinting at. If you don't know what 6 ft lbs of torque feels like compared to, say, 12 ft lbs of torque, then get the wrench out.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I have no problem with an educated torque arm. The PROBLEM is one guy's 86in/lb may be another guy's 20ft/lbs. If that's the way either of 'em wants to wrench on stuff, I could not care any less than I already do (just stay away from MY stuff!).

You guys have all heard stories of over-wrenched stuff. Ex: After six years of riding and air filter services every couple of rides, my seat bolts/inserts are still fine. I've known more'n one guy that busted/stripped/goobered his within a month!!!

I know of riders that have misread the spec for the axle caps as FT/LB and proceeded to bust the studs off. WHO is going to look at a 1/4" fastener and think 80ft/lbs as a torque spec is within light years of the CORRECT value?

In this case, the parts were A-part, reassembled and now they don't work. Overtightening those bolts would get you to exactly this situation. I'm not dinging on you ricke. You may well know exactly what you're going torque-wise...but, I don't know that.

In this case, because you are wrenching against a spring tension, when the fastener feel changes from twisiting against that tension to twisting against the threads gets a bit iffy.

HOW could the actuator NOT be on the flat without the actuating LEVER pointing into space?

BTW...that actuating lever should travel THROUGH a 90º angle from clutch lever release to full pull. Is that clear? It's an arc that will provide the MOST amount of 'travel' (movement) of the edge of that flat on the shaft.

It takes a casual glance to get that point if you have any spatial reckoning a'tall.

I hope it's something simple!! If the pedestals are split, it's time for a Hinson Basket ($200...without the gear on the back).
Inda wrote:Well, I'm not even 6 1/2 feet so when I stand on the socket wrench it should only torque it to say....50 inch pounds?
Eggsactly!

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Check the Springs. They can bind up during install if you are not tighting every other bolt. The clutch arm could also NOT BE in the flat spot. When you put the cover on, you have to move the arm at least 9 o'clock counter clockwise to getr the clutch cover to mate up with NO FORCE. Then you move the arm into position.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
ricke9590

Post by ricke9590 »

Ok figured it out, I didnt put enough torque on the bolts. I totally pooched what I said eariler. I didnt tightened the bolts down at all basically I got to where the springs started to compress and stopped, 15lbs was a horrible guess, I stuck a torque wrench on it just to see what it clicked at, didnt get anything at the lowest setting........ yah Im real bright

So basically that whole thing was pushing out agaist the clutch cover case, not a mistake I will make again. ut thanks for the info and its installed right and working now, should be able to test start it tommorrow, just have to put minor plastics and such on now.

Thanks again, feel free to flame cause I deserve it at this point.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Hey, NEVER KICK A BROTHER WHILE HES DOWN :lol:
YEAH RIGHT
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Better too loose than too tight, broken, lot'sa $$$ to fix stuff.

Good to hear it's OK.

Consider the source