Thick fork oil in an 05

Got questions? We got answers....
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Thick fork oil in an 05

Post by TopperHarley »

I just finished up with a 04xr400 .40 spring install on an 05 220R that has only 10 hours or so on it. Decided to drain the oil and pull the base valves. The oil that came out of the forks was like wayyyyy thick! It was still fairly transparent but it was like they were filled with 30 weight. and its not from being cold. My garage is heated and kept at 50 degrees or better. No one has been in these forks before. purchased the bike new in 06. Has anyone run into this before? Is it just me or has Charlie pulled a fast one on somebody else? no wonder I couldnt keep the bike off of its side. the level was also about 125-130 mm. but then some oil came out on the springs...but not that much. :?
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

What you found sounds about right, in my experience anyway.

The factory fork oil is more like the stuff I'm blowing from my nose these days.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Yeah, I found the same snotty oil. Mine were over a year old, I figured it was an aging thing.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Some riders increase the viscosity in the OEM KDX KYBs to 'improve' the rebound action.

Rather arsebackwards...a bandaid approach for sure. Another matter of 'whatever suits 'ya!'

If you want rebound control (a good thing), put in some forks that HAVE rebound control!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

yeah, its a shame these conventional forks dont have rebound dampening adjustments. I like the chrome tubes being up and away from the the gouging rocky rut zone. A couple rubber bungee cords from the lower clamp to the front axle might work for some rebound dampening. Then all I would need to do is cut off the below the axle rut hang up/instant stop/ over the bars gizmo. They must have put that on there for fancy freestyle :lol:
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own