I NEED some answers and opinions PLEASE

Got questions? We got answers....
SenterCutt

I NEED some answers and opinions PLEASE

Post by SenterCutt »

I just purchased a 2000 KDX 200 which is in great shape for $1500, and i am in the process of a slow long term overhaul. I plan on using this bike for enduros and trail riding. The cockpit is a little tight compared to my KX 450F and I am going to replace the handle bars. What size and type would you recomend to give the seat a little more roomier feel. Also, I checked the pages of FAQ pages and got nothing. Go easy on me this is my first post. Also, how about a top three "first thing I should do" recomendations. Thanks, awesome site by the way.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

top 3 mods:
1 setup suspension to your weight and riding style (springs, valve or maybe doing the KX conversion)
2 jet your carb (cheap mod)
3 pipe (wood pipe)

That also depends on how much money you want to spend, cuz I'm sure someone will mention: better tires, after market reedcage, RB mod (carb and head) steering damper...and of course all the guard you usually have on a bike but I assume you have them already.
As for handlebar, I believe you can get bar raiser and such but can't comment on that
hope this will help a bit

Wilf

BTW welcome :partyman:
SenterCutt

Post by SenterCutt »

Yep, thanks for the response. I hav set up the suspension, and am in the process of ordering a jet kit, the pipe will be coming soon enough. thanks agian.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

You can reverse the handlebar mounts to move them out about a 1/2". Beyond that, I think bar risers could be a good move (I'm thinking about them too) along with a bar bend that is higher. Tall seat foam can help the transition from sitting to standing position (I have this and it is a slight improvement.) If I come up with a combination that works, I'll let you know!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Top 3 Maintenance things to do (not mods):

1. Steering head bearings - check and grease
2. Swingarm linkage bearings (all of them) - check and grease
3. Check piston - if stock, replace with aftermarket
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

3. Check piston - if stock, replace with aftermarket
If you're talking about the grenade effect, I believe this is more for the 220...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Nothing wrong with the Pro-X 200 piston.

I have no recommedation for bar type. I'm not height advantaged and basic CR HIs suite me fine.

Does 'set up' the suspension mean you either know what fork springs are IN the thing, or you changed them? That would come under scheck's #1. Changing the fork oil fits there, too. Taking out a couple of the 24mm shims in the base valve is a cheap suspension 'fix' too, reportedly.

If single track is what you ride, you likely won't be thrilled with a rev pipe on a 200, so a torque is a logical choice. BUT...as things change (modifications) and the bike's bottom end improves, a rev pipe works perfectly fine in tight woods. That's kind of a catch-22 changing pipes. What...$220 or so apiece now?

DO check every bearing, especially those mentioned.

If you need wheel bearings, consider bearing kits from CBR. Not the cheap Chinese junkers, but NSKs or KOYOs, with seals...AND they are lifetime guaranteed! Can't beat that.

Welcome to KDXRIDER!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SenterCutt

Post by SenterCutt »

thanks for all of the input my list is growing linger and longer as the days wear on. I am really lookign forward to making all of these changes, this is my first ever project bike so to speak and am looking forward to running it in some Enduros. Again, thanks
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Whoops! My bad, the 220 did have grenade effects (read the post, 'crasher!), the 200s are OK.

I have the 2000 220R, SenterCutt, and if you really don't know, like I did, what maintenance was performed, check out my bike page for my replacement parts and maintenance:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2465

It was a labor of love, and it yielded one helluva woods machine:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/modules. ... _album.php

Good luck with the maint., get a manual, and have some fun! It's an easy bike to work on, and these guys here offer some great advice (even tho' they're a little strange) :partyman:

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I suggest CR HIGH MINI bars and Tall,hard seat foam from guttsracing.com dont let the hard part fool ya gutts hard foam is softer than the 07 WR seat.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
SenterCutt

Post by SenterCutt »

yeah, thanks for the awesome input from everyone, the manual is on order, and i am looking at the higher seats, and bars.