Dang sticky KIPS

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Nah, not fixed yet, but it should be this evening.

The only empediment I envision is that when I'm out there in my special fixing the bike attire, the wife likes to come visit. She'll stand there and laugh and laugh. Really screws up my concentration. I've GOT to try to reduce my beer belly, she won't laugh THEN.

Incidently, the RH actuation shaft WAS removed with the cylinder on the bike: Tip the motor back, remove the left hand gear that drives the left hand shaft, remove the actuator rack, remove the center screw that ties the shaft to the main valve, and the main shaft will pull out to the right far enough to let the right hand actuating shaft come all the way out of the cylinder. I had to use a bent nail to get around behind the gear and push on the RH shaft teeth. Tough but do able.

So what? I still couldn't get a clear shot at the bore to do any quality smoothing out.

You know what looks tough is getting that grommet thingy onto the RH shaft. I think I'll try to slide it on before I cut the old one loose.

We are supposed to have a big ride and cookout this weekend to welcome PAUL BROOME THE DAKAR FINISHER (came in 103?) back to town. I might end up dinking around on the 125 if the wife doesn't leave me be.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

1. Medical studies have been done that show drinking beer has nothing to do with an inevitable 'beer belly'. If you consume huge numbers of useless alcohol calories and do nothing but sit around and look at your bike, THAT would be a contributing factor....so would vast quantities of cheesy pizza.

2. The hard part of placing the 'packing' I presume to be the teeth on either end of the rod? Cover them with something. One wrap of electrical tape, some plastic wrap, a plastic bag..even one of those little parts bags you get (with parts in 'em?) that are made out of that 'heavy duty' plastic?

Those teeth are going to be sharp! Without a prophylaxis of some sort..it's gonna get damaged.

Re: Laughing and laughing....

You reasonably expect something else, Leopard Thong Man? :wink:

Good Luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Piece of cake.
I didn't realize the grommet thingy was standard 0-ring material. Rolled right over them teeth.

To clear the bore I wrapped 600 grit paper around a 9/32" drill bit and screwed it into the bore by hand. There WAS something in there, I could feel it go away, but I could not see what it was. I gave the drill/paper a spin with the battery drill and checked smoothness with the RH shaft. AHHH, felt good, better than slipping my thong on right out of the dryer.
New packing, reassembly, reassembly, reassembly.

It took until Saturday afternoon to get going. I kept having visitors, it seems that the word has gotten around that it is entertaining to come down to my house and watch me put a bike back together.

A smooth operating KIPS, new rear tire, shock oil change, wheel bearings, linkage bearings, recent fork oil change and internals smoothing, brakes front and rear, and general cleaning up make for an entirely different bike.

Now I have to learn to ride again
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:... better than slipping my thong on right out of the dryer.
OOOoohh...you use Cuddles fabric softener, too?

I am surprised the 'packing' didn't hand up SOME on 'dem 'der teeth.

Good deal!!

You will let everyone know how great it runs, right?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Oh, yeah, runs real good.
The KIPS operation is predictable and repeatable. That is going to take a little getting used to.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy