Got questions? We got answers....

What transmission oil do you use?

Im strictly name brand bike shop oils!
32%
I use ATF works great!
12%
I use a compatible rating motor oil
52%
Oil? I dont use oil. Generic dishwashing liquid does mine great!
2%
I use no lubrication at all.
2%

Total votes: 50

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yeah we have the same oils you guys have. Our main fuel companies are;

Mobil
Shell
Caltex
BP

Main oil suppliers are;
Castrol
Mobil1
Valvoline
plus others I can't think of right now.

We also have Belray, Motul, Silkoline etc etc... :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

RB, that's interesting....

I use Motul Transoil (specifically labeled synthetic 2-cycle gearbox oil).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Woodscrasher, do you buy that at a bike shop? I wasn't sure if you should use any old 10-W40 off the shelf or if the oil really needs to be gear box specific.
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Steve:

Well, what I know (which should be taken as-is) is your typical motor oil, 10w-40, etc., is designed to lubricate engine components - cranks, pistons, etc., whereas autos, std & automatic, use tranny oil in the tranny. On a bike that uses different oils to lube different parts, you should use those specific oils (in my opinion - YVMV). I wouldn't use crank/piston oils (typical motor oil), to lube my transmission, but transmission-specific oils. Some here have good results with AT. Why? I have no idea, but for AT cars, it must work, so therefore it should work in our bikes. I use the gear-oil specific stuff because A) it came highly recommended from someone I trust who has 23+ years on a KDX, and B) What he said made sense: Bel-Ray has spent Mil$ on developing an oil to withstand the stresses placed on a 2-stroke gearbox. Valvolene 10W-40 has not. That right there tells me I'm going to spend $5 more on an oil created specifically for MY purpose, not ALL-purpose. It boils down to oil viscosity and breakdown due to heat. As I said before, your oil choice is strictly your choice. It's odd that what oil works for one, might not work for another. That's due to all of our bikes being slightly different, tho' they could be the same year/displacement, etc. In a gearbox, there's a LOT of moving parts, so no one of us is going to have the exact same 'box. Make sense yet, Steve? It shouldn't, because reams of articles have been written on oils, all of them different. So, what should you use? It's up to you. Price no object? Go for top-shelf gearbox oils, I use the 80w Gear-Saver (Bel-Ray, $7.50/L), I don't have to change oil as often because it doesn't break down as fast. Want cheap? Go get a bottle of WallyWorld 10w-40 or 5w-30 for $0.99, but change it often. To answer your question, finally (sorry for the lesson), yes, Gear-Saver is found at bike shops (prolly why it's so expensive), or, get a case online from any of the online stores. You can get off-the-shelf oils as well that will work. Realistically, any oil will protect those tiny parts in your gearbox. When placed under extreme duress, I would rather have my guts protected as best they can possibly be, hence my affection for 2-stroke gear-box-specific oils, because I can afford it, and I never want to be broken down 100 miles from civilization because I wanted to save $5.

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have been known for not being wordy and this is no exception. Ma Kaw doesn't recommend 80W gear oil for the tranny... she recommends SE, SF, or SG class 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil, and I would venture to guess that she would not recommend anything that would be detrimental to her bikes because when it comes down to it, she supports the bike and not the oil companies like Bel-Ray. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Inda:

Exactly my point, we all use whatever. Does Ma Kaw recommend AT fluid? No. It recommends what the Japanese designed her for, and the engineers who designed her. They recommend whatever they need to cover their butts due to their design of the tranny. Over the years, rebels like us Americans have figured out what works better than what is recommended. It's in our nature. I just don't believe that a $0.99 bottle of dino will protect my gearbox as well as gear-specific others. My opinion, my bike. FWIW, I do NOT own any stock whatsoever in Bel-Ray, it's just what I use, and it's always in stock at the shop :grin:
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Wudscrasher wrote: and it's always in stock at the shop :grin:
Hmmm, I wonder why? :razz:

Do you use their 2 smoke oil as well? :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

<snicker> Wibbins....It's because they're a well-stocked shop.
I started out with the KawiChem, but switched to Silkolene -
again, at the recommendation of a long-time user of KDXs.
Dewd, you just voted in my poll!

JHCOPS, is the snow ever going to melt? Moab in 6 weeks!

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Castrol 20W-50, just because...
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SupermotoAbuser

Post by SupermotoAbuser »

Just a question I have. Is maxima a major brand everywhere? I live a half mile from the factory so im wondering if it is as big everywhere cause most of the shops where I live carry maxima almost exclusively
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

80w Torco
Old habits die hard
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I use Pro Honda HP Trans Oil 80W; the local mechanic (2nd place GNCC Senior B class) said it is the same stuff as Bel-Ray Gear Saver, but it is in a bottle that is very convenient for pouring. Just dump the whole container in and I'm good to go. Of course, I haven't torn into my tranny yet so I don't know what excitement is in store...

I used Gear Saver before that.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

i run amsoil synthetic 10W-40. seems to work well for me and is at a decent price...
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
Steve Sims

Post by Steve Sims »

Wudscrasher, yup, it makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. I too generally use higher end oil in my autos and I don't mind spending a little on the bike as well. I went with a Kawa. 10W-40 oil. Didn't have Bel-Ray where I was looking, but I agree. A little extra $5 here and there to maybe add a little life to your bike is worth it to me. And if it doesn't add life, it adds a little piece of mind for what most people drop on a burger and fries at lunch.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

With that mentality.... 120W MUST be better than 80W if 80W is better than 10W-40! :wink:

All I ever had with Bel-ray Gearsaver is missed shifts.... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

OK, I'll fess up. I have had problems with missed shifts (1st-2nd or 2nd-1st) ever since I've had the bike. I have used Bel-Ray Gear Saver/Pro Honda every single change except for the very first change, when I used automotive Castrol synthetic 10W-40. Are you suggesting that a differenty tranny oil could alleviate this? Suggestions??

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... that is what I am suggesting. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My DR650 definately does not like Mobil1 (Syn) but shifts great with Mobil Clean 5ooo (Dino)
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Yes... that is what I am suggesting. :grin:
I'll second that...the KDX and the KX did not like the 80W (Maxima or Gear Saver). 10-40 + ATF, as RBD suggested is smooth. I'm sure the strait 10-40's work well too.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I became leery of 10W-40 after my initial experience with the Castrol synthetic. However, I didn't check the back of the bottle to see if it followed "Ma Kaw" suggestion of SE/SG/whatever; I figured "it's 10W-40 synthetic so it MUST be good".

Looks like I need to pay more attention. In the meantime, I think I'll try Ron's idea of 2 parts ATF + 1 part 10W-40 GTX. I should really send him my carb too...

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70