Got questions? We got answers....

What transmission oil do you use?

Im strictly name brand bike shop oils!
32%
I use ATF works great!
12%
I use a compatible rating motor oil
52%
Oil? I dont use oil. Generic dishwashing liquid does mine great!
2%
I use no lubrication at all.
2%

Total votes: 50

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

May have been said before but just incase...

Most important thing to look for when choosing a motor oil is to make sure it is not "energy conserving"

Should look like this:

Not this:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Yes... that is what I am suggesting. :grin:
Again, sorry if I came off posturing about a particular brand, or weight, of oil. With so many modifications to our KDX's, no 1 particular oil will work for everyone. My experience is, I've never missed a shift with my oil that was the oil's fault. I just tore into my clutch to see what was going on (remember, I bought a 2000 220, basically guts-unseen and the guy did NO maintenance to it in 2 years, and it looked brand-friggin-new). So, I'll keep using my brand, you keep using yours, and we'll just offer our advice as to how our bikes handle the fluids we put in it. No 1 brand works for everyone, so all i offered was previous experience with mine (no head/carb/crank/clutch mods) that works great. Please don't disregard one oil for your choice because it works for your bike, let the folks here try to find what works for their bike. if I came off as saying, "Bel-Ray is the Best!", it's not - for any/every-one. KDXers, it takes time, figure it out, and stick with what's best for your bike! After all, you ARE riding an obsolete piece of equipment, and darnit, take care of it!

(The preceding sentence was brought to you by Kawasaki - Ignoring 2-stroke trailriders since KTM and GasGas cornered the market, and BigJapan doesn't care about you anymore)

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

After that quote, maybe we all need to pull together, as a group, and then as a larger, national group and tell Kawi we need those bikes! :supz:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Rick:

You tha man. Really. As fired up as you got to petition Kawi, Corporate Kawi will never again make a 2-stroke (affordable) off-road motorcycle. :evil: That's why I'm going to care for my baby 220 as much as possible, until it's IMpossible to not buy a FartFart or KTM if the 2S is your thing. Look on the bright side....there are many, many 70's-80's-90's 2S cycles out there just waiting to be brought back to life (KDXs, too!). :supz:

--C.J.
(Founding Member, KRAMOFSO: Kawasaki Riders Against Manufacturing Of Four Strokes Only) :butthead:
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

KRAMOFSO
where do I sign? :lol:
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
RBD wrote:2 parts ATF..... 1 Part 10W/30 or 10W/40 GTX

Why do you use the ATF ?
Friction modifier and less compressible on the clutch discs than
motor oil?
ATFII or Mercon?
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

I use Chevron 10W-40 in my 93, I've tried ATF (Great Clutch action but gritty notchy shifting & false neutrals), 20W-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic (Good Clutch action but Hit neutral too often bad for shifting down on a hill). Regular old dino oil seems to give me the best of all worlds. It's not like I wasn't willing to pay for the high end stuff but it didn't shift well. So I went for the factory recommend stuff and I change it every other ride.
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

I use 85 weight for a much improved clutch feel.
==05 KDX220R==