New Pipe Question.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

New Pipe Question.

Post by jafo »

OK, I got my FMF Gnarly Desert pipe on with the spark arrester tonight. It came with a recomendation sheet on rejeting the carb. Question one is what jetting does a stock '03 220R come with? Two, is the jet change really necessary? I know, these are probabaly stupid questions but hey, you never know.

Oh put my skid plate on too, great fit, nice plate. It's a "Works Connection" aluminum plate, in case someones looking into a skid plate.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You need a manual jafo! :lol: Pull your jets out and look at em!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Seems every KDX jets a bit different than the last. Like Inda says, check and see what is in your carb right now. Then go do a WOT plug chop check to see if the main is in the ball park. If so, then swap out to the new pipe and run another WOT plug chop and compare plug readings. (If you aren't sure of how to perform a plug chop, say so. No shame in learning how the right way!)

Anyway, that's how I would start out. If you've already got the new pipe on and kept track of how your sparkplugs were looking, then just compare them to see if it looks like the bike is running richer.

Let us know how the new pipe works for you!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

You know if your talking repair manual, I just went through this on my '84, now bought a new bike and need to get another repair manual! Crap! Where does it end! :lol:

Yes I would pull the jets out but I'm waiting on getting my reed valve first then pull it all down and back together in one swath. I did'nt know if anyone new offhand what jets come in the bike. Wonder if it's in the owners manual.....Hmmmmm. this the manual your refering to?

You will have to excuse my ignorance right now. I've been working 7 day work weeks for the last three weeks, and getting hit with doubles through the week also with no end in site, so I'm about as sharp as a marble right now. :rolleyes: I need a day off to go riding, unfortunatly it won't be this weekend, suppose to be nice weather.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Stock jetting depends on the original dealer. Some "Good" dealers jet according to the area. Some "So-So" dealers don't care and give you what the factory sends. http://buykawasaki.com doesn't say?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting your goodies. Thanks for mentioning the fit of the WC plate.

On the stock jetting, no need for us to parrot what the http://www.buykawasaki.com site says. Your main concern should be the jets that are in your particular carb. No need to focus too much on what is on a spec sheet.

As far as a manual:

SQWAUK, yes you need a manual. Not just the 200 service manual, but the 220 supplement as well! :razz:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: Too FUNNY!!!!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

OK. I was just trying to avoid going to get the jet specified and finding out that it's already in there. Guess Indi has the best advice, pull it off and see what it has. Guess I'll have to play sick a couple days to play with the bike. :twisted:

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Doing all sorts of things at once is a recipe for a bad tasting soop. If something isn't right, you won't know where to start. You also won't know what part effected which change.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Indeed....I'd get the jetting right w/ the new pipe/stock reed cage before you install that DF3. For that matter you should really get jetting sorted out w/ the bike the way it sits--just to see the difference. As Inda said, if your dealer didn't get it close then just a rejet would feel like more of a performance upgrade than the pipe you just bought. However, you can't just let all these new upgrades just sit around... :cry: Go ahead and put the pipe on, then it's time to break out the brass. You'll definitely need some practice w/ the more tolerant stock cage before trying to get things sorted out w/ the new cage...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: dealers and jet jobs

My first R5 (2-smoke Yamahama twin) had a 'compliments of the dealer' jetting job. They put 90MJs in place of the 130MJ stockers. OK for 5,000'el. Not so good for trips to the coast.

Point is, you need to check your carb for peace of mind...and maybe wholeness of bike!

Fuzzy's right.

Inda's right.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
GS

Post by GS »

CC ... Did you say R5??... as in Yamaha 350, circa 1972?... my 1st brand-spanky-new street bike....AND made me look fast.....followed by a '77 RD400...not quite so lovable..heavy gyro wheels, soft power. oops..no intention of hijacking this thread.
Greg
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I figure I'd try the jetting suggestions from FMF for the pipe upgrade first. Then go from there. So I'd have to agree with all. All's I have put on so far is the pipe and spark arrester. I just got the reed cage today along with my fenders.

Jon.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sure, that'll be a good start but I'm sure very conservative. Jetting recommendations can't truly be given in a generic fashion due to altitude/temp differences of each owner's locale. You'll get it figured out...Just keep this thread going when you have questions. Carb tuning is the single greatest skill you can teach yourself(mechanically speaking).

Dare I do this? :shock: Guess not one ever had any issues w/ Cdave...

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/tech_tips.html Lots of good stuff on there, definitely read 'carb tuning' for more information related to this topic...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks fuzzy

Jon.