Speedometer or odometer

Got questions? We got answers....
vinny

Speedometer or odometer

Post by vinny »

I have a 93 200. When I got the bike it didn't have a speedometer or odometer. I believe it came stock with just a odometer. I purchased a odometer off ebay that is supposed to fit the E series 200s but it came without the cable. Ron Ayres list two cables and calls both speedometer cables. They don't list a odometer cable. I figure the they just mis- worded it. The problem is that I need to know which cable I need. What is the complete part number for the odometer cable?

Vinny
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I can shed some darkness on this issue.

This is what your 'thing' should look like. It's off BuyKaw anyway.

It's called 'SPEEDOMETER,TRIP(MILE)'.

It has two windows, one a resettable trip, the other a non-resettable odo.

The cable listed for your bike is (also from BuyKaw):

Item: 54001A
Part number: 54001-1178
Nomen: CABLE-SPEEDOMETER

Look up the number for a '92 and it will be the 'other' type cable..screw caps on both ends.

The number listed is the 'H' type cable. See the end held in by a screw? That is the 'H' model drive.

Got it?

There are two different cables for the 'E' model. You want the one that is similar to the 'H' model..'cuz '93 and '92 are NOT the same.

Note: You CAN run an 'H' model odo (reset trip only..no BIG odo) on an 'E' series bike (either '92-'93) using the correct 'E' cable. Wibby does (did, has done, has did, whatever). His bike is a '92.

It would be a good idea to verify that your drive end has indeed the screw-cap type connection. Maybe somebody changed something along the line.

For YOUR fun and enjoyment, familiarize yourself with the BuyKaw parts diagrams. Usually the same as RonAyers..but in this case, it would have saved you (and me) the trouble. Oh well...it only took 10-15 minutes. I don't suppose my beer got TOO warm. It's only 30º outside..and that is where my beer is!

Click HERE! to go the info section, choose 'motorcycle'. Choose your vehicle (year and size is sufficient), select your bike, select 'parts diagrams'.

Bookmark the opening page. Well...I guess so. It USED to be you could not bookmark the actual diagram page..it's a separate application (Empart), so you have to start sort of at the beginning.

Not that the address above IS the beginning of the BuyKaw site but.....never mind. Just click on the 'HERE' part, bookmark that page, find your info.

Whew! I'm tuckered.............and I'm up to 20-25 minutes, too!!

Just checked RonAyers to be sure. They do indeed show both cables (so does BuyKaw) AND they list both numbers, too! BuyKaw only lists the part number applicable for the year.

Crikey! I'm into this over 1/2 an hour now...I'm fadin'...where's my..b....e....e....r.....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Crikey! I'm into this over 1/2 an hour now...I'm fadin'...where's my..b....e....e....r.....
Can somebody give this man a beer! Please!

I have the complete setup (odo, cable...) for a 05 model if this can help PM me
Wilf
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

vinny:

You're good to go...right?

I'd love having my odo back....

Someone sort out putting the 'H' model drive on the KX forks..and I'll be happy.

scheck: I made it. Thank you for your concern.....

Consider the source

vinny

Post by vinny »

Yeah. I think I got it. The odometer I got off Ebay is an H series. I ordered one I think will work. It screws to the bottom of the meter and pushes in at the hub where it is held in by a screw.

Thanks
Vinny
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

BTW...be careful with that screw. The plastic it threads in to is somewhat less that robust. Don't tighten it for diddle..and hold it in with some RTV.

Consider the source