Break in with synthetic?

Got questions? We got answers....
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Break in with synthetic?

Post by dave04kdx »

I'm rebuilding the top end on my 04. I was wondering what the opinion is on break in with synthetic premix? I have been using Amsoil Interceptor. BTW, the power valves in my bike were very clean after putting 2500+ miles on the bike. The Amsoil is good stuff.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

That is great concerning the power valves and the synthetic. My experience is the same on dirt bikes and snowmachines - jet it fairly close - ride it hard enough to work the engine and open the PV and you can almost forget about PV maintenance until its time to rebuild the top end. Normally I just need to use WD-40 and a scotch bright pad and the PV is clean. (I better knock on wood)

My experience is also you do not get carbon build-up in the exhaust pipe, cylinder head exhaust flange, or in the combustion chamber. There will be some minor carbon on top of the piston but nothing that needs to be chipped away. Sometimes it is just re-ring the piston and reassembly the top end - carbon trace on the top of piston not worth dealing with.

Nothing wrong with a good petroleum oil but a clean engine and minimal wear upon inspection sold me on synthetics years ago.

I break engines in with synthetic and have yet to had any problems getting the rings to seal. I do put a pretty good load on the engine for very short periods of time though during the break in.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yea, it can be done with it, but I personally prefer to use dino oil for break-in.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project