on the pipe or not?

Got questions? We got answers....
alistair

on the pipe or not?

Post by alistair »

i ride in some fairly open areas, and is it better to keep the kdx on the pipe as such,and ride it like a 125, or let the revs drop and "torque" your way around occasionally.
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

little bit of both. I torque my way around, it's fun. But in open areas i scream it out in 5th while riding wheelies! Either way
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Better'?

Better for what?

Some basics are true..that's why they're 'basics'... :roll:

Two strokes don't like lean-roll throttle movements, for one thing. Never have. Never will. If you don't know what that is, I'd suggest you find out.

Never mind...

This is a 'lean roll'...

Say you're WOT for awhile. You're coming up to maybe a corner that you need to slow down for, so you slowly ease off on the throttle. Your speed doesn't change much..and the RPMs don't change much..but the throttle is WAY back.

THAT is a lean roll. THAT kills 2Ts. Don't do it.

Other than 'basic' stuff like that..ride it however you wanna.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I mainly ride a thumper so I am relearning how to ride a 2 smoke bike now that I got an 04 220.

How do you avoid lean roll in the situation that the post described above. Pull in the clutch and rev the bike a few times to clear it out?
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'How do...'

Pulling the clutch (taking the wheel driven load off) and blipping the throttle some is fine. That process has nothing to do with clearing anything out, but unhooks the trans from the engine to prevent high engine speeds with liitle/no fuel being introduced. The throttle blip part provides cooling air/fuel and lubrication.

No reason to be anal about it..just keep in mind what's going on in that 2T engine when the rear wheel is driving the engine and the throttle is closed.

What is not good: 75mph in WOT 6th for five miles immediately followed by a throttle chop..still in gear..'coasting' that way for any length of time at all.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good advice there CC. Care to relate how you came upon this knowledge?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's what everybody already knows!

I did happen to prove it one day...something to do with using some BelRay HR1 (or whatever it's called..I call it fecal matter).

But..methinks you knew that already! :wink:

Consider the source

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:It's what everybody already knows!

I did happen to prove it one day...something to do with using some BelRay HR1 (or whatever it's called..I call it fecal matter).

But..methinks you knew that already! :wink:
What do you suspect (or know) about Belray HR1 (that's what the label calls it) that caused your incident, CC? 'Curious because a buddy of mine uses it - I'd feel rotten if something happened and I didn't warn him!

And, had you been using something you presently regard higher than fecal matter, do you suspect (or know) that things would have ended up differently? I ask this because if better oil (I'm being presumptive here) woulda' changed things, does a "good" grade of premix oil prevent the lean roll catastrophe?

If you haven't guessed it, not everybody already knows!!

And . . . thanks, for goodness sakes!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Seems like the pilot circuit would add a lil fuel/mix? Sounds like excessive down shifting and engine braking is not a good idea :naughty:
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

so I should avoid using the engine to help controll my speed while going down hills? UMMmM, I am definitely guilty of this. I usually use the engine in conjunction with light to med front brake action when going down hills. Trying to pull in the clutch and use the back brake seems to cause the rear tire to loose traction and controll. And then sometime killing the engine if the timing with the clutch is not correct.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
GS

Post by GS »

Hows about just opening the throttle up a few times on a downhill, in a high gear and applying a little more rearbrake to she don't mossy on out from under you.....lets fuel/oil into the engine for lube, but you hardly notice the extra thrust at the low RPMs.
I do this from habit, not sure I've ever been certain it was necessary
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Too much off track going on here.....

Again...no need to get ANAL about it. The KDX (or any other 2T) is not fragile..you need to use some common sense is all.

A few things:

The pilot circuit certainly flows fuel with the throttle closed. Not enough to 'feed' an engine spinning 8000RPM that is already hotter'n hell from pulling 6th gear at the speeds I used for example.

Re: 'so I should avoid using the engine to help controll my speed while going down hills?'

No. You should not avoid using engine braking. Although...the whole idea of compression braking on a 2T is pretty much a joke to start with.

Re: 'And then sometime killing the engine if the timing with the clutch is not correct.'

The man's name is Chuck Steahly. He owns Steahly Off-Road. Get a FWW.

Re: 'Hows about just opening the throttle up a few times on a downhill..'

Again...I'm not talking about a need to blip the throttle to keep things from sticking when you're going downhill.

Again, I'm talking about a situation where the bike is VERY hot..and has been straining against its leash for a LONG time..WOT and every hair on every pony is trying to go as faster as it can go. A situation where, if you completely stopped, the bike would be smokin', the pipe would be cracklin', and the exhaust would likely be voluminous (that means 'a lot') due to carbon burnoff in the pipe from the heat. If you have a fiberglas pipe guard..you're going to be smelling a LOT of that!!

In that sort of situation, rolling the throttle down when you're spinning 9-10K+RPM and moving close to 80mph is the most likely place a lean-roll seizure is going to happen.

Yeah..most of the above a repeat..but my original scenario was being ignored. I'm not referring to long downhills in the trail riding sense. Well...if you ride those tracks in 6th WOT for minutes at a time, I am. :shock:

Jeb: Re: Everything you said.

I don't know that some other oil would have made a difference. I do know I had been running SuperM and had never paid express attention to nit-picky throttle control. I tried the BelRay product just to try it. My bike was fairly new at the time..certainly broken in. I'm saying it wasn't overdue for a top-end, wasn't running with a top-end I had just put in that had some problem, it was the Kaw OEM bike.

It falls under the heading of, 'Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.' There was NO reason for my bike to have stuck when it did. Yeah..it was a lean roll throttle situation, not nearly as severe as the sort of 'example' I have used. It was no different than any other throttle situation I've done a brazillion times before and since. The one thing different? The oil I was using..and that was BelRay HR1. I don't need it to happen twice to know I'll never use it again.

No, I don't care to hear how famously perfect it works for someone else. You're welcome to run it if you wanna.

I'm welcome to not.

The BelRay part is NOT the reason to avoid lean roll throttle events. Lean rolls are simply known to be problematic...for obvious and easily understood reasons.

Consider the source

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

H1R

Post by 2001kdx »

I use bel ray and it is quite good. Much better than the honda hp2 i was using. I've yet to try amsoil interchanger or whatever fancy oil you fellas use, but i will soon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I read this somewhere:
canyncarvr wrote:No, I don't care to hear how famously perfect it works for someone else.
:roll:

Consider the source