who makes a good pipe guard that goes on a woods pipe?

Got questions? We got answers....
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

In lamens terms, pick the one that best fits your riding. The aluminum one, if gapped properly, will give you substantual protection from ordinary bangs and bumps against trees etc . In my opinion, the fiberglass ones will withstand a harder hit, But if its too hard of a hit, it could damage the whole pipe. or smash it against the frame, and totaly misalign the pipe from the motor.
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:... But if its too hard of a hit, it could damage the whole pipe. or smash it against the frame, and totaly misalign the pipe from the motor.
The first two parts of your statement are true for me (although, without the pipe guard it would have dents as well). However, the last part of your statement is exactly opposite of my experience. Smashing the pipe up against the frame and turning the header section oval has actually improved the FMF fit. :shock:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:In lamens terms, pick the one that best fits your riding. The aluminum one, if gapped properly, will give you substantual protection from ordinary bangs and bumps against trees etc . In my opinion, the fiberglass ones will withstand a harder hit, But if its too hard of a hit, it could damage the whole pipe. or smash it against the frame, and totaly misalign the pipe from the motor.
So I guess ya'll be goin to a fiberglass shidplate too eh? :rolleyes: :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote: So I guess ya'll be goin to a fiberglass shidplate too eh? :rolleyes: :lol:
Nope..... PLASTIC actually..... :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I saw one of those plastic ones on ebay the other , too funny :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:I love those tire changing machines! They work great, I've got a couple.

That bike looks familiar... I was wondering if I would see you at KKII, you rode right past me in the pits at then end of the race. I like it. :D
Yeah...I was hanging out in the Porta Potty so Buck would have to suffer. :wink: I didn't get to hang out much in the Pits. Me and the EMT were heading out to the "boulder garden" early. Didn't need it though, everyone did great through that section...well, except for our local AA champ from last year. DNF due to breaking off his chain guide in that section. I saw you come through there...you looked like you knew what you were doing.

You comming to the Holy Joe race?
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

You should have heard Buck bitching about how he needed to take a dump on the ride down. It must have been funny to listen to Buck suffer outside the porta-john. :p

Oh the rock garden...that was fun, no seriously. I hit that alittle faster than I would normally but managed not too lose it. If I looked like I knew what I was doing, it was all by accident! ;) Was there anyone taking pictures through that section? I thought that would have been an excellent photo point.

I wish I could go to Holy Joe but I've got SkillsUSA regional welding competition that day. It's my last chance to win it.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I saw one of those plastic ones on ebay the other , too funny :wink:
You may ridicule, mock, rag on, laugh / poke fun at and even distrust the Hydes developments glide plate but it has served me very well. It has the best waterpump protection I can find, glides over obstacles easily, takes impacts very well, doesn't catch twigs / mud, doesn't resignate engine noise and is super light. It has been on for over 2 years and shows very little wear. Couldn't be happier really, well only if the drail plug lined up properly. :razz: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I could see if it were made of UHMW

I may make one, one day out of that

But the cheap looking Maier one I saw on ebay looks like it would do diddle. I doubt it would fare to well with anything very substantial. But it may protect the paint some while gliding over stuff, but that is not something I'm particulary worried about
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hyde Developments products are the strongest and lightest bash plates and exhaust protection on the market. Designed and proven for the “Roof of Africa” Endurance Race, which regularly renders aluminium plates useless after five days of solid rock terrain.

These newly developed products are proving exceptionally popular amongst Enduro riders and weekend punters alike.

Offering the maximum amount of protection available today by resisting impact to the most vunerable areas of the pipe and roost protection from flying debris.

Light weight and neat, easy fitment

Minimal loss of ground clearance
Offers maximum protection
Does not hold heat
Weighs less than half as much as alloy
Will not corrode, discolor, bend or crack
Impact absorbtion qualities are far superior to that of alloy
Engine runs cooler than with an alloy plate
Reduced noise compared to an alloy plate
Easy removal for cleaning and maintenance
Sleek factory look
Inexpensive and affordable
We offer a conditional 12 month warranty on any Hyde Development plate. If you are not happy with the
product return it to your place of purchase.
Our products are made from a type of HDPE which we have specially blended for us.
I haven't seen the Maier ones. Got a link Wibs ?? :partyman: