White smoke at start up

Got questions? We got answers....
Johnny

White smoke at start up

Post by Johnny »

I have just started getting some white smoke out of the exhaust at start up and then it goes away after about one or two minutes. This only happens when the air temperature is cold meaning less than 30°. I know white smoke means coolant or water is getting into the cylinder, but could it be just condensation that has formed in either the carb or the exhaust?? I have been watching my coolant level and have not been losing any. Or could it be that the head gasket is in sort of a shrunken state at start up allowing some coolant into the cylinder, and then as the engine warms the gasket sort of swells up??
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you are not loosing coolant, then don't worry. Most likely it condensation. That's one reason I uses a exhaust plug as soon as I powered off my bike.

Do you wash your bike before putting it away? Could be moisture on the air filter. But I wouldn't think so. I recommend removing the filter before washing the bike. I put a plastic bag over the carb air horn with a rubber band to keep water out of there too.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Sounds about right.

Thanks.