Cylinder is toast

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would rather discuss this stuff instead of making it a sticky for a couple of reasons. I am not an expert nor do I claim to be and this is a forum to discuss varying views on subjects and this happens to be one. Someone would eventually have a problem with the procedure and say... I used your procedure and....

Any posts on this site are not written in stone and should not be considered that way. Everything is open to interpetation.

Besides... I don't want people to think I think I'm a know it all... because that's definately not the case! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! That sounds awesome! Thanks for posting that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Pics of the Ferarri are in my gallery.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I checked them out. Wow. Congratulations on being a part of that. That sounds pretty dang cool.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Did you get to take it for a rip ??? I've driven a 355. :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Oh yeah... well I've driven a 454! Wait...that's a Chevy.... a 69 Chevelle SS... fun factor I bet is the same in a straight line! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well without hijacking the thread the Ferrari was fun but try a 600hp + 350hp NOS small block in a modified 240Z. Woooo Hoooo !!! I've got pics on Webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kdxer200

NOS not installed in those pics.

I've got little Vids if anyones interested.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Guess this should go to the General Chatter area.... That's a sweet 240Z though...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I drove it once from the first turn at Daytona back to the pits. I killed it 3 times. It was rated at 700 HP at 11,000 and 770 at 13,500. It was 12 cylinders each 333cc. They used rev limits to govern the car. Officials could monitor the RPM as it drove by to verify that we were not cheating.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Inda's technique is real good. It should be a sticky
I agree whole-heartedely. This is BY FAR the most common and tried/true break-in technique for any engine type. It is definitely the best break-in method for the average joe, 1st time top-end-er, or even myself/anyone when the environement isn't available to perform 'rapid' break-in(IE Street car/bike). You must have an off-road environment (or dyno) with no hinderances to performing the 'rapid' break-in in order for it to be performed properly. Note: no name calling here :neutral:

Back when I was BIG into drag racing, and some dirtbikes alike I was always looking for a better(faster) break-in method. I performed rapid break-in on a KX125 I once had(unbenounced to this guys theory). I simply repeated what I saw Ward's team do when at a national at Budd's Creek. I had watched his wrench freshen his bike that morning, and asked "is that the bike he's running today?" The wrench answered yes, and then I asked "what about break-in?" He answered, "Practice, and parade laps will take care of that...Just gotta make sure she's good-n-hot first" I about **** myself, but tried it on my next top-end. I had great results, and continued to trying it on other engines. My biggest gamble was trying it on a 455 Olds I had just dumped over $1500 into. I took it (trailered) to a pretty remote street-racing spot and made several passes back and forth, engine breaking as much as possible. I ran that motor for four seasons in NHRA Super-Heavy Sportsman, and it still ran like a champ when I sold it. I only got a season out of rings prior to this. :cry: In those four seasons, I won two track-class championships along w/ a 2nd and 3rd :mrgreen: (Unrelated, but still love talking about the 'glory' days...LOL)

Again, not arguing here but just informing of what break-in technique I prefer to use when/if I have the means to do so--regardless of the strokes--regardless of the cyl material--it's all about the rings. That guys site was just the first thing I've ever read documenting this technique. I've broken-in at least 100 engines in my life ranging from lawnmowers/weedeaters to 600hp big blocks, and when possible I will always continue to use this method.

While he didn't mention anything specifically about two-strokes, he did mention this(In an era where 4T snowmobile engines didn't exist):
These same break in techniques apply to both steel cylinders and Nikasil, as well as the ceramic composite cylinders that Yamaha uses in it's motorcycles and snowmobiles.
BTW, those are some nice rides.....A good friend of mine built a 3rd Gen RX7 a couple of years ago w/ a LT1 in it. It now sports a 650hp LS1 that makes 800 on the bottle, and is still at 50/50 %'s w/ a GRVW of 1800lbs w/ fully functional acessories :shock: :shock: :shock: Still can't wait to drive it...Every time I've been back to MD it's getting 'tweaked' LOL...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project