That sick disturbing feeling in your gut. A little long!!

Got questions? We got answers....
k.d.x.

That sick disturbing feeling in your gut. A little long!!

Post by k.d.x. »

So I just sold my beloved 83 KDX250 on ebay. It was/is a beautiful bike that worked on for a long long time. I got it looking sweet! I collected OEM parts, original brochures, magazine write ups from that year and even had the original manual that came with the bike.

I listed it thinking that someone with the knowledge or at lease appreciation for 'vintage' bikes would bid on it. I thought they would appreciate the long hours I spent restoring it.

I put in the ad that before they start and ride the bike they should clean the carb and drain the gas as it sat for quite a while after the new piston installation.

So I meet the guy half way between his work and mine. He tells me that he's going to ride the bike back to his shop, which was about 2 miles. There wasn't near enough gas in the bike to go that far. I only put enough gas in it to see if the new piston worked okay.

So I end up taking it to his shop in my truck. They try to start to start and of course it doesn't start. They conclude that there isn't enough gas to start it and I tell there IS enough to start it but they should wait. I understand that they want to make sure it runs but they won the item under the ASSUMPTION that it ran and they knew they shouldn't start it. So anyway, he asks if it's 2 cycle and I say yes. I say you shouldn't just run gas in there cause' you'll burn the engine up. He says "ah yeah I know". Then his friend tells me that he's going into the shop to get some gas. Keep in mind that at this point I havn't been paid yet.

The guy brings the gas can out and I ask if it's mixed with oil. He says yes and I ask "do you know the mix ratio?" "Nope", he replies. I imply that if that gas goes into the bike, there's no turning back and that we should probably take care of the money thing right now.

He hands me my cash and then tells me that the bike will be sent to Mexico. :shock: :cry:
I proceeded to tell him about the manual, the brochure and all that and he could care less about any of that. The bike is gonna be destroyed! It was my baby and one of the nicest of its kind. There was so much new OEM on that thing that it was almost new again.

So anyways, that's my sad sob story. Thanks for hangin' in til the end. :mrgreen:

Oh, why did I sell it? I have too many bikes and I'm looking for a new one instead several old ones.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I hope you got a good price for it.

And don't worry. When she's sittin' in some barn/shack with burro crap stuck to her knobbies, she won't blame you. She'll be a little confused at first, not understanding where you are and wondering who these people are who hurt her and curse at her. After a while, like the little burro she shares a stall with, rain dripping through the layers of cardboard on the roof, she will forget there ever was a heated garage, or a kind man who once loved her and took care of her.

And if, one night late, you are awakened by the far distant scream of a 2-stroke over-revved and abruptly silenced as her piston seizes, then know that she is finally at peace and no longer suffers.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I hope you got a good price for it.

And don't worry. When she's sittin' in some barn/shack with burro crap stuck to her knobbies, she won't blame you. She'll be a little confused at first, not understanding where you are and wondering who these people are who hurt her and curse at her. After a while, like the little burro she shares a stall with, rain dripping through the layers of cardboard on the roof, she will forget there ever was a heated garage, or a kind man who once loved her and took care of her.

And if, one night late, you are awakened by the far distant scream of a 2-stroke over-revved and abruptly silenced as her piston seizes, then know that she is finally at peace and no longer suffers.
Very poetic, almost brings a tear to my eye. My brother had his 79 Elsinore stolen in like 85 and last year he tracked down what might be his but some ashhole tore the cooling fins off to get to the topend among other hillbilly engineering. It is in sad shape campared to what it once was and wasn't even worth the $350 he wanted for it. Even the trashiest bike once had someone who loved her. :cry:
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
Kawinj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Location: New Jersey -land of Bruce and overpriced real estate.

Post by Kawinj »

Right now the poor thing is probably cold and bewildered, heaped on the back of some overcrowded flatbed amidst old washing machines and a rusted out bathtub. She'll stare back to take one last glance at the land she loves, and the foresaken image of the only man who could ever make her sing in tune.

She is no more.

You my friend should hang your head in shame.

But who knows, maybe she'll be some poor village's new ambulance.
"The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you."
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:cry:
GS

Post by GS »

A bit of cash doesn't count for much....it just comes and goes, not when compared to the spirit of a machine you've related to ......or is that had relations with...GASP! :blink: :shock:

Anyway, we've beat you up enough....sounds like you have regrets, as I would too.

Maybe some Mexican kid'll have a blast on it after these guys unload it down there

What's done is done. :cry:
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

I hear ya,
My '94 CR 250 (The pink one)
Was my pride and Joy for years,An interview came out years later and MC said that was his favorite ride,Now my loyal steed had new found respect when we were out on the town!
But the shimstock was getting thicker and thicker here and there and my Clymers manual highlited asolid flou green , resembling a Phone book left out in the rain too long...I had to let her go. $1,600.
A kid from Chicago bought her ,his cousin had one and now the two of them could race up and down the alleys of Chicago against each other!!?!

GodSpeed :cry:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like the 1975 Yamaha DT125 I restored a few years back. I had many many hours in that thing and she was showroom quality... sold it on eBay and I had to help the guy throw it in the trunk of his compact car so he could drive it a thousand miles home. What a joke.... the turn signals were already bent and gas was pouring out when he left.

Some people need a common sense guardian!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

In the trunk? I once helped a friend sell a 50cc pocket bike. It was only worth $150, but the guy pulled up and asked us to help him get it in the trunk. It is surprising you fit a dt125.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I hope you got a good price for it.

ROFLMAO - That was classic!!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Keep the guys number on hand. In a year or two give him a call and track the bike down. You'll probably be able to pick the bike back up after it's thrashed for a few bucks. Then you can redeem yourself by bringing your old love back to life,,,,,,,,again. :grin:

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

By then that bike will be like that car, CHRISTINE. It will become possessed and try to kill that somabitch that sold her into bondage!

Hasta La Bye-bye, Baby
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:By then that bike will be like that car, CHRISTINE. It will become possessed and try to kill that somabitch that sold her into bondage!

Hasta La Bye-bye, Baby
LOL
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
k.d.x.

Post by k.d.x. »

:lol: ................................... :cry: :cry: :cry:
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Don't Feel Bad

Post by 80elkster »

When I was in high school I had an old 73 Kawasaki 175 F7 that I modified beyond the point of recognition. KX125 rims, Preston Petty headlight, all plastic fenders, machined the top of the cylinder and reshaped the top of the piston on a lathe for higher compression, ported and polished, Basinii pipe, KX shocks, frame mods.... the list goes on an on. Anyway I sold it to some neghborhood kid who had it for two weeks and crashed it into a wet soupy mud hole and drowned the old girl. She was literaly dead in the water. He brought it back to me and wanted to know if I could fix it. Told him no and just shook my head in disgust. I was even a little hurt that the kid had killed my baby. I'd spent hours, days even weeks painting the frame and polishing the cases, cylinder and head. Oh well I never got out of it what I put in, but I learned more than I can put a price on. :supz:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

k.d.x.:

I'm slow on the uptake...don't get it.

You sold your bike to a guy that doesn't know what a 2-stroke is (he had to ask?)..and then says it's going to Mexico? Why did he buy it and why is it going to Mexico?

It's gonna be a meth camel, 'eh?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!