Fork leak.

Got questions? We got answers....
cfspawn

Fork leak.

Post by cfspawn »

Hi all im in the process of replacing my seals in my conventional forks for my 1990 KDX i have noticed its leaking from both the main top oil seal and directly underneath the fork. It seems to me that its leaking thru the rubber seal on the outer at the bottom of the fork. My confusion is this bottom cap is it a seal for the bottom of the fork or just a cover and if not is the seal above it the correct one anyway the image will explain better than me :-) BTW my drain screw seal is NOT leaking.
Last edited by cfspawn on 02:38 am Jan 24 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Very bottom is a cap.... the seal is a O ring basically.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The cap is indeed just a 'cover' to keep dirt and crud out of the clicker adjuster.

The o-ring is part of what seals the assy.

Could be something else, too...like the fork is broken.

Turn the thing upside down and take a look. Or...wipe it off clean and see what happens. Maybe the base valve is just loose, maybe the fork has taken one too many hits and is itself cracked.

Note the copper (or brass) washer that is not shown in the drawing (it's part of the base valve assembly) that also helps seal the fork fluid INside the tube.

You are sure the oil off the bottom of the fork is not originating from the above seal..it's not just running down the outside of the fork?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

What better guys to reply to my post!.
Thanks guys you've been a huge help. I have a box of o-rings i could just use as i cant get that o-ring from kawa until next week (going riding this weekend). and yes i've pulled of my fork boot cleaned all surfaces and its definitely coming from the bottom outer part of the base valve. next step is to find a tool to undo the base valve or find out if its loose. Hopefully Hex keys come in that size 14mm i think it is
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Here it is out.
the O-ring was non-existent thats obviously why its leaking! my question is where does the o-ring go on does the washer go on first the o-ring or visa versa? i would imagine having the o-ring in between the lip of the valve and the washer would prevent it from doing its job id say it would go on top of the washer.

kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

NO oring is supposed to be there on our (89-90) model ....spawn do not install a 0ring!!!

LIke in the diagram and in your last pic this is a copper wahser.

the copper washer make the seal.

Put some liquid gasket on the copper washer or a kind of silicone when you will re-assemble the thing.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Thanks heaps for the lifesaver advice phil ! your a champion Yes i have some good RTV silicon to smother that copper washing with and let it set overnight for a good seal. My priority is to stop the leak as these forks are coming off the bike soon for my new KX frontend so not looking to spend to much $$$ on em. Thanks again