air filter oil

Got questions? We got answers....
alistair

air filter oil

Post by alistair »

im wanting to know what airfilter oil you guys use, and what you think of it

were currently using some castrol stuff, i dont like it very much tho..i think we bought it cuz it was cheap.any way,

i wash the filter in kerosene then blow the kero out and then apply the oil,

that alright?

(im gettin practice at it as i clean mine AND my dads, and do the oil changes aswell...) :wink:

im a bit cautious about asking this kind of question as they usally start ww3...
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I doubt you'll get a war over this one . . . that's more likely in one of the other sites!

Personal experience: I started using the "No Toil" oil and cleaner this past summer and like how easy it is to clean. Maybe a little pricey but it's easier to deal with (and thus I tend to clean them more often). They sell a kit with the oil, cleaner, and some "rim grease".

'Course I know a fella who's been ridin for a few decades, maintains his own bikes, and . . . uses just enough 10W40 to wet the filter but cleans them with liquid dishwashing detergent after they've soaked a bit in kerosene.

More important than oil brand is to clean them often and don't over-oil - it helps to have a spare or two, oiled up and waiting to go in a ziplock for storage.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I switched to Ready Filters... cheap, pre-oiled and I will have a ton of them by the time I get around to cleaning them and re-oiling. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I have read some bad stories about Ready filters. Cheap is right by the sounds of it.... :?

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
alistair

Post by alistair »

i wish i had a couple of spears,how do u tell if you over oil them? they get cleand after every dusty ride basicly.
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Haven't had any problems.... I ride woods and it's not very dusty...

Here's some factory guys talking about them....

"TeamECC.com Suzuki and I use ReadyFilters for all our Supercross and Motocross racing. The performance is awesome and they really protect our engines. Plus no more hassling with oils or cleaning for our mechanics. We take them right out of the box and put them in our bikes in seconds. Why did it take so long for a company to do this?"

TeamECC.com Suzuki Team Manager

"Team Solitaire chooses to run ReadyFilters on all of our Supercross and Motocross racing bikes. ReadyFilters provide excellent performance and protection, and our mechanics especially enjoy not having to hassle with cleaning or oiling air filters."

Team Solitaire Owner

"The guys at ReadyRacing have finally provided all of us riders and racers something we have wanted for a long time. With the availability of a new, fresh preoiled airfilter everytime I hit the track I know I will be getting peak performance and protection for my bike. As a factory test rider for Yamaha I understand how a clean, freshly oiled filter can benefit any bike. When I tested the ReadyFilter I was impressed with it's performance and protection. And at this price why wouldn't you use one?"

Dustin Nelson (Factory Yamaha and Dubach Racing test rider)
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
alistair

Post by alistair »

i ride woods gravel roads open farmland, i only ride organised trail rides basicly...
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OK...
Has anyone used or using Ready Air filters?
they seemed very thin to me.
Hi there, yes i have used the pre oiled oil filters in my bike. AS for them, they are good if you are doing riding over a couple of days and are going to be chaning the air fileter as they are small and compact to carry around. I made sure that it was oiled properly and that there was an appropriate amount of oil around the seal so that it does seal properly.
I wouldn't re use them though as i don't think that the quality would stay in them
u can buy them for ebay pre oiled for like $15-20 they are ok i guess very very thin didn't really fit my yz too good much smaller than the OEM or TwinAir i have now.
Out of 10 id prob give em a 5 if that.
Don't know if I would use them as I agree that they seem quite thin and the foam appears to be pretty coarse grade.
Wouldn't touch them. They are nasty P.O.S. that don't deserve a place cleaning the air for the inside of YOUR motor. Convenience is one thing, but the longevity of valves, rings etc FAR outweighs the slight inconvenience of cleaning/re-oiling an airfilter during multiday rides.
Put it another way - I don't/won't stock them in the shop.
Just got one from "CHEAP AS **** AUTOS"
Think I'll just keep it for emergancies! Been known to drown a bike or two, would be handy then I spose. Nothing worse than wringing out a stinking wet oil filter in that situation!
went to supa cheap today,saw the filters ,thought a bit to thin fo my likeing
Now these Readyfilter guys have to put oil on the filter and put it in a fancy pack with gloves, there would be a lot of cost in packaging something like that. Even if you say $15 each where is the profit for them if they aren't buying cheaper filters in the first place?
Now I don't know what the dust etc. is like where you are but where we ride around here it is easy to get dust through a no toil with a filter skin over it as well. Not worth the risk if you ask me.
All this coming from people who actually pay for them. If you like em, SWEET !! but I won't be using them. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I second Jeb on the no toil: easy to clean, (use the washing machine) no mess. i clean it every ride when it's dusty during the summer and have no problem so far.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

No Toil: Watch out for those creek crossings though. :rolleyes:

I use Belray or Twin Air oil. I use the 3 bucket method, 1 bucket of kero for first rinse, 2nd bucket with more kero for final rinse, then gets washed in warm soapy water and rinsed, then after allowing to dry over night it gets dunked in the last bucket with fresh oil in it. Squeeze (not wring) out the excess and job done. :mrgreen:

Go to your local pool supplies and get some filter socks, they are the same as the Twin Air ones but instead of $30 for 4 I get 8 for $7. I use 3 over the filter and use them like tear offs on multi day rides. Remember to pre oil the skins.

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

KawiChem makes a product similar to NoToil.
I got it because they were out of my usual Belray foam filter oil. I was washing the foam in kerosene, drying overnight, and oiling.
I find the detergent and oil in the KawiChem product a lot more effective in both cleaning the filter and getting good oil coverage. I won't be doing the kero system again

One of the guys up the street got some of the thin, disposable filters for his CRF450. He disposed of them, feeling they were too thin for his comfort. Notice where the factory guys say they improve performance first, good protection second? I doubt I'd notice the performance improvement, and factory riders have mechanics to replace parts.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

PJ1 Here also on my uni air filter :partyman:
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Oldschool
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Oldschool »

Klotz spray on & there Remover,for woods riding.
For MX I used the Flypaper stuff PJ1.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Kawi Chem IS NoToil. It's on the label in fine print. My first Uni was ruint by the Kawi Chem detergent, it melted the glue. Uni sent me a free filter and free oil kit. Now I always carry a spare Uni pre-oiled filter in a tupperware container in the tool box. I use to carry the spare filter in a zip-lock in my back pack when I rode the dust of eastern WA. The NoToil is easy to clean with just water and the detergent so I'm stickin with it.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

PJ 1 red and Twin Air. Labor of love.

For me anyway,I sure hope it does not become TOO much WORK to unscrew the gas cap, let alone ADD fuel. :shock: :shock:

AHH sh=t. I got to mix the oil with the gas. F?CK IT !!! LEAVE IT PARKED. :sad: :sad:
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Labor of love?

Just what exactly do you do with that oil? :shock:

nevermind

While you are having your LOVEFEST

I'll already be out riding

Notoil is da she-it!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXer wrote:No Toil: Watch out for those creek crossings though. :rolleyes:

Not that I care, I don't ride through deep creeks

The one filter is pretty much saturated with oil and the Notoil filters have trace amounts if any at all. :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Youe supposed to oil the filter?
alistair

Post by alistair »

>|<>QBB<

the video didnt load for me, what happend?

(sorry we got dial up and windows 98....)
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<

I use Belray or Twin Air oil. I use the 3 bucket method, 1 bucket of kero for first rinse, 2nd bucket with more kero for final rinse, then gets washed in warm soapy water and rinsed, then after allowing to dry over night it gets dunked in the last bucket with fresh oil in it. Squeeze (not wring) out the excess and job done. :mrgreen:

Go to your local pool supplies and get some filter socks, they are the same as the Twin Air ones but instead of $30 for 4 I get 8 for $7. I use 3 over the filter and use them like tear offs on multi day rides. Remember to pre oil the skins.
well I use noToil and by the looks of the filter on the video and the looks of my filter after its been oiled I would say he was a little slim on the noToil oil. then as far as creek crossing well I don't use my bike in water over 3 ft deep or would I want to. so no worries here.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.