Where's the kdx200af

Got questions? We got answers....
SupermotoAbuser

Where's the kdx200af

Post by SupermotoAbuser »

I thought I heard that sombody on here put a kdx200 motor into a cr125 alluminum frame. If so id like to see pics. If not. Well. Ill post pics when I make one.
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Why hasn't any of you kdxrider guys done the 125 conversion yet? It seems it would be better than all of the suspnsion work you do.
SupermotoAbuser

much better. You would just get the 125 suspension tuned for off road, and get some hand guards, a big tank, and you would have a sweet off road bike.
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I once considered a 220 shoe-in to a 125 chassis, but...

The aluminum frames are hard to work around, aluminum has different strength properties than steel and must have much much larger tube/extrusion cross-section for most places. Having worked on a CRF250X I can tell you it is not a thrill getting to the carb, etc.

The KDX steel frame is already a proven perimeter type and is, in fact, cloned from the the 125 frame of that era...short wheelbase and all. The difference in weight between a steel and the substantially larger aluminum frame to replace it is usually only a few ounces, so weight is not a significant factor.

My current KDX has the KX fork conversion and is now the best tight, technical trail bike I've ever owned...bikes which recently included an off-road modified 03 YZ250F, an 04 CRF250X, and off-road modifed KX250. So I guess what I'm saying is that for what many of us use the bike for, it is pretty close to being right, maybe even ideal, without an expensive entire chassis change. Sure, if you're into hare scrambles or something with similar terrain/speed characteristics, you could use a more high-speed compliant package, but why then would you prefer a KDX engine when other designs would probably work better?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Where's the kdx200af

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
SupermotoAbuser wrote:I thought I heard that sombody on here put a kdx200 motor into a cr125 alluminum frame. If so id like to see pics. If not. Well. Ill post pics when I make one.
I think it was on that "other" site

Seems to me he parted it out and sold it as soon as it was finished :?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:I once considered a 220 shoe-in to a 125 chassis, but...

The aluminum frames are hard to work around, aluminum has different strength properties than steel and must have much much larger tube/extrusion cross-section for most places. Having worked on a CRF250X I can tell you it is not a thrill getting to the carb, etc.

The KDX steel frame is already a proven perimeter type and is, in fact, cloned from the the 125 frame of that era...short wheelbase and all. The difference in weight between a steel and the substantially larger aluminum frame to replace it is usually only a few ounces, so weight is not a significant factor.

My current KDX has the KX fork conversion and is now the best tight, technical trail bike I've ever owned...bikes which recently included an off-road modified 03 YZ250F, an 04 CRF250X, and off-road modifed KX250. So I guess what I'm saying is that for what many of us use the bike for, it is pretty close to being right, maybe even ideal, without an expensive entire chassis change. Sure, if you're into hare scrambles or something with similar terrain/speed characteristics, you could use a more high-speed compliant package, but why then would you prefer a KDX engine when other designs would probably work better?
AMEN!
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
SupermotoAbuser

Alright. Makes sense.
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've been intrigued by this idea for a while, but......

I own a '95 kx 125 that I acquired to steal the forks off. It was pretty ragged out so I spent about $1000 on the suspension linkages, motor, cables, etc. and got it running and riding really nice for a KX 125. I wanted to see what it was like before I took the forks off it. Lots of fun motocrossing, sucky in the woods.

I kept trying to tell myself that this would be a great ride if it wasn't for the motor, but really couldn't convince myself.

I don't know if the moderator might kill this, but my wife and I get along really smoothly for old folks (43) and riding this thing was like making it with an 18 year old girl.

I found the steering a little slow, the rear end would hop around, it liked to be stood on but kept squirming around out from under, and so on.

As was stated above, I don't believe it is worth the effort.

I put the forks on my KDX. Now there's a ride! I was a bit skeptical at first, and felt the only way to go was to build a full hybrid.

Having ridden both, I don't think the KDX with KX forks can be beat, considering what you are starting with.

Now, if you want a really ill handling POS, put the KDX forks on the KX. I rode that for a couple of weeks while I was doing some work to the KDX. I thought it would get better, but it didn't.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:My current KDX has the KX fork conversion and is now the best tight, technical trail bike I've ever owned...bikes which recently included an off-road modified 03 YZ250F, an 04 CRF250X, and off-road modifed KX250.
This is very surprising. It's also a shame that you went through so much cash just to find the mighty kdx!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:>|<>QBB<
kawagumby wrote:My current KDX has the KX fork conversion and is now the best tight, technical trail bike I've ever owned...bikes which recently included an off-road modified 03 YZ250F, an 04 CRF250X, and off-road modifed KX250.
This is very surprising. It's also a shame that you went through so much cash just to find the mighty kdx!
Actually, I began riding KDX's in the early eighties - check my gallery for some pictures of a few of my past steeds in action. :grin:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Great photos Gumby!