Water pump seal HELP

Got questions? We got answers....
SupermotoAbuser

Water pump seal HELP

Post by SupermotoAbuser »

I have a 1989 kdx200 that was leaking the coolant into the transmission. I took off the impeller and the seal behind it. I was told on thumpertalk that there is another seal and you have to take the right side cover off. So I did that and I didn't find another seal. Now that I think about is, that doesn't make sense that there would be another seal because the bearing right behind the first seal has to be lubed by the transmission fluid. Am i crazy :rolleyes:
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
DAVID

Post by DAVID »

No. You are correct. There is only one seal, between the bearing and the impeller.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It depends on the model. CFSPAWN has a 90 model and it has the same waterpump setup as a H model, different to an 89. http://www.buykawasaki.com has part diagrams so maybe you can compare what you have to some pictures.

BTW Welcome to yourself and David !! :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
DAVID

Post by DAVID »

Thank you. Been lurking for a few weeks but needed to use the serch function, trying to figure out the lighting system (removed by the PO).
SupermotoAbuser

Thanks for the info and the welcome. Im just gonna get some new gaskets, clean out the milky crap from the transmission and put her back together.
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The 89 waterpumps had one seal I believe... but you can put the newer 2 seal system on the 89 and bring it up to date. If memory serves me right.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Hmm. you did not removed the right side cover? You just removed the seal from the outside? I did this once...Wil work but you can not inspect the impeller shaft for bad grooves.

Yes there is only one oil seal on the 89 model.

90-94 diagrams show 2 seals.

I tried to install the second seal last time I worked on the waterpump assy.

Maybe I am crazy too but it was not a succes! I did not try to find where and how to install the second seal. I was in a rush...To ride! :cool:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You can retrofit the second seal on the 89's. If you look at the diagram for the 90 model its pretty clear how it goes together.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Is this retrofit idea the answer to why cfspawn had all the trouble he did with his pump?

As I recall he ordered parts for his bike, got parts that either didn't fit at all or looked so completely different as to easily make the assumption they were incorrect.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
SupermotoAbuser

quebec I did remove the right side cover. Here are the parts diagrams from 89 and 93 to compare, They look exactly the same. They confuse me.

Here is the water pump

The seal I have

And the inside part of the water pump. The bearing there has to be lubed by the transmission fluid so no seal goes there right?
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What is the question?

Your diagram shows one seal, you have one seal. Doesn't it fit? Is it different from what you took out?

The 'H' model has two 'seals' one of them your basic 92049 'seal', the other a 49063 'mechanical seal'.

I don't know what the mechanical seal is..but your diagram doesn't show one. I've not taken my 'H' model apart...yet. (j-i-n-x!)

As far as any 'upgrade' goes, notice that the gear drive for the '89/'93 are NOT the same. Seems if another piece (the mechanical seal) is going on the shaft that the shaft might well be longer, but maybe not. The '93 drive shaft (NO 'mechanical seal') is the same PN as the 'H' model ('00 anyway).

Although...the difference in the two numbers being the /A on the end makes me wonder what the difference actually is.

Don't base any decision on what the diagram LOOKS like other than positioning of parts. The drawing is not meant to be an actual representation of what the part LOOKS like.

In answer to your question, yes. No seal will go on the INside because, as you say, that bearing is lubricated by transmission oil.

As far as the two diagrams being 'exactly the same', they indeed are not. 'Fer instance, the oil seal is different for the '91. That in addition to the gear drives not being the same.

Consider the source

kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

I have just one seal in my 1989 waterpump assembly(a big one with a spring in ) and this is normal. The second seal was installed in 90 or 91.

BUT,I tried to install the second little seal (upgrade)like the 90-94 models...as I remember now,there is no room for the second seal that we are talking about. Maybe the right side case is different also?

if we cut the extra rubber part on the big seal NOW THE BOTH seals will fit right??!!!

I try to help you but be careful because my english is not perfect!

M0rie,do you have 2 seals in your 89 w/p?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Yes, but from what I recall it was a drop in deal. I also replaced my water pump shaft at the same time so perhaps that is the difference?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

m0rie:

Which shaft? The /A? Or not the /A?

Is your seal the 'mechanical' seal listed on the 'H' models...or were the two seals akin to a 92049.

BTW...what is the --B-- between the bearing and seal in the above diagrams. A footnote of some sort? I see no note of the foot sort on the diagram. :hmm:

Consider the source

SupermotoAbuser

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:What is the question?

Your diagram shows one seal, you have one seal. Doesn't it fit? Is it different from what you took out?

The 'H' model has two 'seals' one of them your basic 92049 'seal', the other a 49063 'mechanical seal'.

I don't know what the mechanical seal is..but your diagram doesn't show one. I've not taken my 'H' model apart...yet. (j-i-n-x!)

As far as any 'upgrade' goes, notice that the gear drive for the '89/'93 are NOT the same. Seems if another piece (the mechanical seal) is going on the shaft that the shaft might well be longer, but maybe not. The '93 drive shaft (NO 'mechanical seal') is the same PN as the 'H' model ('00 anyway).

Although...the difference in the two numbers being the /A on the end makes me wonder what the difference actually is.

Don't base any decision on what the diagram LOOKS like other than positioning of parts. The drawing is not meant to be an actual representation of what the part LOOKS like.

In answer to your question, yes. No seal will go on the INside because, as you say, that bearing is lubricated by transmission oil.

As far as the two diagrams being 'exactly the same', they indeed are not. 'Fer instance, the oil seal is different for the '91. That in addition to the gear drives not being the same.
The diagram shows two seals. 92049C and 92049D. Only D is on the list when you buy the parts.
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes, two are shown but the C is noted for the '91. If you ordered parts for an '89, I wouldn't expect you would get the C.

If you ordered BOTH parts by their different part numbers, you would get both parts.

Note that the C part in the diagram is not even LISTED in the actual parts list for the '89.

From the '91 listing:

92049C 92049-1359
SEAL-OIL,MH8X18X3.5-A

92049D 92049-1366
SEAL-OIL,MHSD8X18X10J-1

The C is a lot thinner than the D.

The diagram shows ONE seal for your bike, not two.

Sorry, I still don't know what the question is. :hmm:

Consider the source

SupermotoAbuser

Well you answered my question exactly. Im just waiting for my gaskets to come
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

I would love to Add my experiences with the dreaded water pump seal BUT I have a H model water pump setup on my E series KDX

one tip though once all seals are installed and water pump cover is on.. block one end of the water hose outlet and pour water into the inlet to simulate water circulation. this helps to see if you have stopped any leaks as well as the weep hole. :supz:
SupermotoAbuser

I got the gaskets today and im gonna put the bike together tonight. I want to get all the milky crap out of my transmission though. Should I do it before I put it together or after and then just flush it out. What would I pour in to flush it out?
2002 CR125
1989 KDX 200
1998 CR500
DAVID

Post by DAVID »

You should clean it out before you put it together.If the sludge is very thick, use some BrakeKleen to clean it out. If it is thin, like regular oil but is just the wrong color, you can just change the oil a couple of times.