'01 KX250 Pegs: Uh Oh . . .

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

'01 KX250 Pegs: Uh Oh . . .

Post by Jeb »

. . . a bit of a fitment issue. I didn't recognize the difference between these and m0rie's '02 KX250 pegs but there is. Here's a mini-pic comparing my 220's peg and the '01 KX peg . . .

:shock: At first I thought they were the wrong pegs but, indeed, these ARE '01 KX250 pegs per buykawasaki.com . . .

so here's what I did: cut the piece of thin flat between the two "hinges" on the KX pegs so I could stagger-mount them. I used the KDX springs and the KX pin (had to in each case). I ended up fitting three 3/8 SAE steel washers so that the peg hinge that fits between the KDX frame peg mount rested on them - this was necessary to keep the cotter pin hole clear (also snugged things up between the KDX peg mount hinges.

Go here to see more and bigger pictures.

One concern for me. Note how the first coil on the spring overlaps the end of the pin. I've got about the same tension on the coil and the peg rotates up OK just like the stockers.

What do you think? I'm thinking a crash violent enough to get the spring to pop off would likely do so anyway, but I'm not sure. Anybody do anything like this with pegs?

Overall the pegs are pretty cool - certainly feels like a more solid, secure footing.

I believe I got away with learning a lesson without suffering too much!
Last edited by Jeb on 11:19 pm Jan 19 2007, edited 1 time in total.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Visually - the drawing depicts exactly what I got . . .

"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Hmmm. Those look like the '99-01 KX or ‘03-04 KX pegs.

From Kawasaki…’99-01

Here is what Kawasaki shows for the ’02 KX.

Here are the ones off my ’02 KX.

Here is what they show for “03-04

Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I wouldnt worry too much about the springs. They might wear eventually, and that part of the spring could pop onto the outside of the pin. The one thing i would worry about, is hitting something straight on. The way that peg is sitting in the bracket, it might be more apted to break the actual bracket, than the peg if you hit something real solid, and they dont flip up. Probably a one in a thousand chance though. They look good!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The 02's are the ones you want if you can find them....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

In the 'from the top' pic.....they look to be at angles..not straight to the bike? Are they?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:In the 'from the top' pic.....they look to be at angles..not straight to the bike? Are they?
Yeah, they're angled back a tad . . . do you think that'd be a problem?

I rode for a few minutes late this morning - awfully cold for it but I wanted to see what they felt like. The pegs are a shade lower and back - not much - but in a different spot, < 1/2" in each of those directions. I could feel a bit more room 'cause my new, stiff mx boots seemed to deal with upshifting better. It felt like they had been moved more than they were. Obviously, it also feels like there's more peg.

Over time I'll be able to tell how it impacts handling if any, but right now everything seems OK.

CLICK FOR PICS!