fix for ripped rubber boot on thottle cable at carb

Got questions? We got answers....
krazyinski

fix for ripped rubber boot on thottle cable at carb

Post by krazyinski »

3/4 heat shrink tube works great for a quick repair on the boot of the throttle cable at the top of the carb.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
barryadam
Supporting Member

Throttle Cable boot

Post by barryadam »

Using Search, I was not able to find any indication this was a common problem, but I discovered that indeed my throttle cable boot was broken open. Thanks for the tip krazyinski. That'll hold me until the new one comes in.

I'm assuming that this air leak through the broken boot into the top of the carb is what has been causing the lean, hot running on my 2001 220. I don't remember from my last carb teardown if there is any other seals for this cable in the top cap, or if the integrity of the boot is critical. Maybe someone has more recent expereince and can comment.

Thanks.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The slide is the seal...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:The slide is the seal...
What he said....

The boot on the throttle cable is not meant to be an air 'seal'.

A problem with the boot can lead to dirt/water/crud getting into the top of the carb....which will 'wear out' the slide..which will lead to a lean condition (air leak).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

I've seen a few different models of carbs and the slide fitment in the body is by no means airtight. The entire upper chamber of the carb housing where the spring is should see the same vacuum as the rest of the body. It is sealed by the boot and the upper cap gasket. Otherwise, it would act as a diaphragm style carb and the vacuum would suck the slide closed.

Don't flame me, I'm just theorizing here. Come to think of it, the cable housing itself would be a conduit to leak incoming air if what I said above was true.

Well, I guess I need to fix the broken boot anyways.

To quote Dr. Bob, "...never say "fixed" to a dog!"
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think you are correct in that the area above the slide gets to the same pressure as the throat of the carb, given a constant throttle position. I can't see why not.

I usually find some grit in the slide at the base of the spring and around the little plasic thingy.

I doubt a busted boot would effect running, though. Clearence changes between slide and carb body might but that would be over a long period of time
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy