What pipe do I have?

Got questions? We got answers....
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What pipe do I have?

Post by tha_reids »

I believe the pipe is a fatty but I'm not sure. It is on a 92 250. On the side it says FMF Gold Series and has some cursive writing on the lower right. I cannot understand the cursive it looks more like a signature than anything else. It has a 14.25" circumference. Researching FMF's site the only pipe listed specifically for my bike is the fatty.

I never see much info regarding the fatty pipe.
Did the Rev replace it? or is the fatty a longer pipe with similar dimensions?

Thanks
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good questions.

I have no answers.

IF the FmF site says the only pipe is a Fatty, then I'd guess that is what it is.

The Fatty existed for earlier 200/220 KDXs..was advertised to be a 'moh betta' pipe..the best of everything. But...I've SEEN Fatty pipes on 'H' model KDXs, too. I don't know if that is because they simply fit..or that pipe was realigned to MAKE it fit (like most FmF pipes require!! ;) )

You probably read this already...but a larger bell is generally a higher RPM range pipe than a smaller bell for the same bike. But..that leaves out a lot of stuff..like the length/diameter of the header section for one thing.

FmF says (of the Fatty '92 250 pipe):
FmF wrote:Offers a hard hit right off the bottom and pulls hard to high RPMs, surpassing the stock pipe at every level. 10 to 12% horsepower increase over the 6,000 to 10,000 RPM range.
For the 200 'H' series, FmF says this about their 'desert' pipe:
FmF wrote:Designed to withstand total offroad abuse, the Gnarly concentrates on tractable power. Extra thick 18-gauge steel ensures a long service life. Features enhanced low RPM pulling power without sacrificing mid-range pull.
AHA...but check out what FmF says about the 'woods' pipe!!!
FmF wrote:Designed to withstand total offroad abuse, the Gnarly concentrates on tractable power. Extra thick 18-gauge steel ensures a long service life. Features enhanced low RPM pulling power without sacrificing mid-range pull.
The difference is plainly obvious, no? :hmm:

Both of those quotes from the BikeBandit site.

FmF has NEVER had a clue what they are doing marketing-wise. They are absolutely INCAPABLE of describing their products, let alone making their products FIT the intended application.

No worries, though. If you have ANY questions, just ask FmF tech!!

Their answers have always been the same anytime I've asked them:
FmF Tech support wrote:

There 'ya have it!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
grump99

Post by grump99 »

My 1st kdx ('95 200) had a "fatty" pipe. To me the profile looked like the later rev pipe for the 200. I would guess its a rev profile, but I'm not sure if the 250 is different.
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Thanks CC and grump.

If a pipe really wakes up a particular bike, the product will sell itself. No reason to sugar coat it.

Does FMF tech support bite or what??? It doesn't sound like your a big fan, CC.

"Man, I really couldn't decide on what brand pipe to buy until I read FMF's description! Wow.....I'm a believer!" :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FmF's reputation preceeds them.

Their customer service stinks.

Their product fit-n-finish stinks.

Ask them what they are going to do about it and their response stinks.

Buy a $140 spark arrester that comes missing all the installation hardware, try to get them to even SELL it to you? Forget it.

Yeah. I'm a big fan!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!