Man!! I miss team green!

Got questions? We got answers....
k.d.x.

Man!! I miss team green!

Post by k.d.x. »

I started with a KDX 250 but I wanted new technology. I couldn't afford a new KDX or KLX because I already bought a Ninja 250 and a Ninja 650 on the Kawi card. So I bought a Honda CRF230 instead just so I could have a good reliable (and cheap) bike to chase my 4 year old around on his CRF50. I gotta say that I'm not a big fan of the "Big Red"! I keep finding myself jonesing for the Kawi's. I do have the KDX250 still and I'm also working on a 91 KDX200. I also have an 83 RM250 sitting in the garage as well. My dilemna? I want a bike more taylored to do everything I ask it to; including jumps. It also has to be green sticker.
I'm really torn between 3 options at this point and I'd like some input.

1. Sell all 3 bikes (2 KDX's and the RM) to get a brand new KLX300 and then soup it up piece by piece while keeping the CRF230.

2. Sell all 3 bikes, keep the CRF230 and buy and 02 or older KX250 (gotta stay green!!).

3. Lastly, sell all three bikes and buy a KTM 300 used and keep the CRF230.

Many people say you can't jump on a KLX300. I've SEEN people jump on them with a stock set up and guess what...... they survived! I know a KTM is awsome all the way around.... but I'm addicted to team green! Then, a KX250 sounds really good but do you think it's too focused on one thing (MX track)?

Thanks for you input. I will be posting this on other sites so sorry for the redundancy.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

what's wrong with your KDX? reliable, cheap, trustworthy...
If you want to do jumps, what about doing the KX front mod?
If it were me I'd sell the RM (got to stay green) fix either KDX and enjoy.
If this is a no go, then I'd concider a kx (but I'm biased for green).
a KX250 sounds really good but do you think it's too focused on one thing (MX track)?
Somebody here has a moded KX for trail riding can't remember who, but he seemed happy with it.

Good luck

Wilf
k.d.x.

Post by k.d.x. »

problem is that my 250 is an early 80's model. Though it's super clean and runs well, I have drum brakes and it's heavy. The 91 might be okay but it's getting up there in age and it's not in the best condition even though I'm slowly restoring it. I need something that will not be breaking down anytime soon. I take really good care of all my stuff so I figure I can get a new KLX300 that will last me forever or get an 02 KX that will also last forever for less money.
Duke

Post by Duke »

You may find the RM to be of greater value if you focus its sale amongst those who comptete in the post vintage circuit. A liquid cooled, drum braked RM250 has some value. Check out the AHRMA web site and any other vintage oriented web site and become atune to what the bike is worth. You will be surprised. You may have more disposal income than you think :grin:
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

ok...sel ALL the bikes...Honda included...and soup the Crap outta a newer 2000-2005 KDX 220...get forks, pipe, reeds etc...that way you will have a KILLER bike...Green, and a bike that has a long revered History...Rock on man Getcha PULL!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
motorhed220 wrote:ok...sel ALL the bikes...Honda included...and soup the Crap outta a newer 2000-2005 KDX 220...get forks, pipe, reeds etc...that way you will have a KILLER bike...Green, and a bike that has a long revered History...Rock on man Getcha PULL!
I have to agree or buy a 07 ec 250 gas gas, closest bike with the electric feel that the modifide KDX 220 has but better.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Gas Gas, you say???

Sounds like what Kawasaki should have created in an "'07 KDX."

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/offroad/ ... _24hour01/
Gas Gas is better-known for world-class trials bikes than for off-road models, but it is an established presence in the United States, more so in the South and Southeast than in the West. These Spanish machines are thoroughly European, but they make no secret of borrowing heavily on Japanese ideas. The chassis and rear suspension appear quite Kawasaki-ish, and the engine is reputed to be very Honda-like. This enduro model in particular still has some of the feel of the Gas Gas trials line in the exceptional tractability at low rpm. Pick up the rpm above the tractable, off-idle area and the engine is a little flat, but a touch of the easiest-to-pull clutch we've ever tested brings it to life; then the EC pretty much rips. The midrange is meaty and the engine pulls hard on top. We never really felt the motor go flat, either. There is no reason to make the engine shriek in one gear, though. The EC is a six-speed, so there are no obvious gaps from gear to gear; first is a granny gear while top speed is impressive.

And in this review, there is even a Fredette name-drop:

http://www.dirtrider.com/extremejob/141 ... ue_sample/

Day two was the same course as day one the only difference being an even faster time schedule and more acceleration bumps. About half way through the seven-hour day as fatigue started to set in I had my first crash of the week. I cross-rutted on a fast down hill and was thrown from the bike landing on my back. I was unharmed, but as I picked up my bike Team USA legend Jeff Fredette passed me giving me a thumbs up. The 2005 ISDE was Jeff’s 25th appearance at the Six Days and has finished all of them! I followed Jeff into the next check point taking notes as we rode through the technical terrain. At the end of day two I still had been having a fairly uneventful ride with very few mistakes and no route points.
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

You want a bike that will do "everything" and is green stickered?

If you want a bike that will MX great, Offroad great, and follow the slow and steady pace of a youngin', you'll be dissapointed somewhere. There is no bike that will do all that, and do it all great. Each one of your requirements are in a different realm of bike design and purpose.

The KDX is a great multi-purpose bike. With a few mods, it's probably the best choice for what you want. But, your probably going to find it lacking if you want to spend a lot of time at a track. As many have shown, it will handle the MX stuff, but it's not the best choice for MX.

I've followed my kid (8 year old) many a time, and the KX is a pain. It really likes to be ridden much harder. The KDX worked well with the kid and was vastly superior to the KX in this regard. However, I still found it wanting to be ridden harder than the kid wanted to ride. I'd prefer to have a CRF150/CRF230 to ride with the kid. The 4T would lend it self better for the ST I try to have my kid ride. I'd be more down on his level. The smooth power deliver and low seat height would allow me to stop in places (and start again) that I can't on a 2T full size bike. Plus, my wife could get out and ride with us on this size of bike.

The KX is a better choice for me for the "Adult" rides than the KDX for how I like to ride and the type of terrain I ride. It'll jump, but with the offroad configuration, it's a little soft for the MX thing. Agian, a compromise. I'd like to have a smaller frame 4T bike of the XR/TTR reliability to chase the kid, a 250 2T for the spirited stuff, and a KDX for a back up bike. So, I'd say keep the KDX200 and CRF. Sell the other 2 and look for a good deal on a "green sticker" 250 MX 2T. The YZ's and KX's in 2002 were very good offroad bikes...well, with some mods. :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

ya after breaking in a couple of virgin riders last week I found it nerve racking to go so slow, makes me think about what QC said in the above post. I am thinking of buying a older XR 250 to put put around when I get my kid (5) a bike this spring. with any luck I can use it for a buddy bike or get my wife to ride it.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

that ec 250 is very impressive, but cost efectiveness says stay with the KDX.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

The Gas Gas has a dual spark curve toggle button on the handle bar. One for controled climbing and other purposes, the other for gettin' on it.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
alistair

Post by alistair »

dads mate has a ec300 and it hauls ass, but i dont think the build quality is that good on some of the parts...the airfilter thread stripped(caused by him? i dont no) and a dust boot has come off the clutch i think :rolleyes:
06 kdx 200 - mine
06 kdx 200 - dads

my gallery http://kdxrider.net/forums/modules.php? ... _album.php
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

To be honest, A fairly new 200/250/300 exc would suit you perfectly.

I would buy a late model 200/220, do the fork swap and get your shock resprung/revalved, and just have that bike. If your spending to much time at the track (actually, that's not possible) then buy a kx250 and start the conversion!!!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

He's looking for a "green sticker" bike. I think any 2T manufactured after 2002 is a "red sticker" bike. I may be off on the year, but it's somewhere in that time frame. Those of you who live in the Country of California, can clarify the sticker thing better than I.

So, a new 2T will not satisfy the "I want a green sticker bike" portion of his stated requirements.

Those Gas Gas bikes are nice...until you need parts. :shock:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

You should probably just look for a 02 or older 250. It is obvious the kdx can jump little things, but can throw you off in the tougher stuff. I've experienced this first hand with a yz250f, even sprung for a rider 60 pounds lighter than me, gave me tons of confidence.