2 NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Got questions? We got answers....
paceyman
Supporting Member

2 NEWBIE QUESTIONS

Post by paceyman »

[b]Okay fellas... new to the site and fairly new to my 06 KDX200. (I know, fresh meat)

I purchased it with 10 hours on her. She has a Gnarly Pipe and Turbine Power Core II silencer and was jetted at the dealer. I have run her this way for about 4 months and am questioning the among of spooge I get after a days running. Have no ideal what jets the dealer put in so where do I start? The plug had about 30 hours on it and was jet black, oil covered.

I'm about at sea level in Virginia Beach area and could use a few helpful hints to work through getting her dialed in better.

Bike has run on Bel Ray synthetic since July 06 at 40:1.

I would also like to get rid of the stock Dunlops for something a big grippier that will last a couple of seasons.

Thanks for your help.

Bill[/b]
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Stock jetting is 160 main, 48 pilot.
Pull off the carb and see what you have in there. That's the first thing to do.
Also, since your new, I will tell you that I am the wittiest of the bunch here at kdxrider, and anyone who says otherwise is jealous. Good luck on the jetting.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote: . . . I am the wittiest of the bunch here at kdxrider . . .
Interesting wit . . . only owns bikes he really doesn't want - just check the signature!

Welcom Paceyman!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

As Al would would say on Home Improvement, "I dont think so Tim" about the witty!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote: . . . I am the wittiest of the bunch here at kdxrider . . .
Interesting wit . . . only owns bikes he really doesn't want - just check the signature!
Haha that was just a little joke... we all know who the wittiest is...
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

The kdx is my bike, my father owns that turd lol
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Pacey:

For starters..the term 'Gnarly' doesn't mean anything in regard to pipe performance profile. FmF has two pipes for the KDX, a 'rev' and a 'torque'. The rev profile (more improvement in the upper RPM ranges) is about 14" around at the largest part of the bell. The torque is 11".

The two pipes jet differently..the rev will generally run about one size richer (bigger) than the torque does.

Don't jet by spooge.

How do you clean your air filter and when was the last time that happened? Still the OEM filter?

Anytime I hear, 'The dealer jetted it,' I know the chances of it being anywheres close to what it should be are pretty darn close to nada. Close to zero, zip, and squat, too.

Find out what's in there first. 2001 was right about that part.

The OEM tires are fairly useless. Asking 'what's best' in tires is like asking 'what oil' is the best. You will get differing opines depending on personal preference, conditions ridden in and such.

Out this-a-way, if you don't mind buying 3-4 tires a year, the Dunlop 756 is a good choice. The new (fairly) Dunlop 952 lasts quite a bit better and hooks up almost as well. The 756 is on most fronts 'round here.

Welcome to KDXRIDER!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Thanks for the feedback and welcomes the forum...

The pipe measures 14" so I have the rev. That's a new one for me as the dealer told the original owner this pipe is for low RPM grunt.

I am assuming the jets are marked themselves. Is there a thread you guys would send me that gives the newb step by step and/or photo by photo instructions on digging into a carb. I'm willing with the proper backup.

CC - Newb statement - if you don't jet to spooge, you jet to performance. Is that better clarification? If not, what do we jet to?

The filter is a UNI and is prepped with No Toil. I am pretty good about cleaning that every couple of rides.

D756 sounds like a good choice as a couple of buds ride them on their YZ's and they hook well on the MX bikes.

Bill
Tusk

Post by Tusk »

Hey Bill, Post your location. There may be a member nearby that can help out with your carb. Also post your riding style and area (i.e. woods, sand, rocks etc..) I ride in the mountains of Penn so my tire choice will most likely be different then my So. Cal. KDX Mates. :partyman:
Regardless, it's a very basic setup (as opposed to digging into the carbs of a 4 cylinder street bike!). For lack of an actual photo journal of the process.... Maybe you could do one yourself. Take pictures of everything BEFORE you remove pieces. That way you can review them if you can't figure out where they go.
I also use small cups or containers and label each as I put stuff in them.

Good Luck. :wink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
paceyman wrote: The pipe measures 14" so I have the rev. That's a new one for me as the dealer told the original owner this pipe is for low RPM grunt.
Do take note that this is the same dealer that jetted your bike?

See what I mean? It's not that most dealers are morons (they are..but) it's that most people are morons, and most dealers are indeed people.
paceyman wrote: I am assuming the jets are marked themselves. Is there a thread you guys would send me that gives the newb step by step and/or photo by photo instructions on digging into a carb. I'm willing with the proper backup.
Mains, pilots and needles are indeed marked.

Spend some time HERE! Click on 'TechTips' and do some reading. 'CarbTuning' is a good place to start. It doesn't have pictures, but there is a good amount of understanding to be gained. You will gain a general understanding of needles, clip postiions and general carb theory.

The 'slow circuit' (pilot and air screw) are primarily effective from 0-1/4 throttle.

THIS gives you a good explantion of needles and how/where THEY work. This is generally going to be effective from 1/4-3/4 throttle.

The main jet is going to be effective mainly (ha) from 3/4 to WOT.

Notice all the 'generally' and 'primarily' modifiers? That's because a main that is too far off (say 3-4 sizes too big) will give you a completely lousy idle. A not so far off main and a far off needle will do the same thing.

All of the circuits have to work together. That's the goal of tuning your carb.
paceyman wrote: CC - Newb statement - if you don't jet to spooge, you jet to performance. Is that better clarification? If not, what do we jet to?
That's fine. 'Performance' to include throttle response, power, smooth delivery, hi-rev operation that isn't 'airy' (lean) or flat (rich).

paceyman wrote: The filter is a UNI and is prepped with No Toil. I am pretty good about cleaning that every couple of rides.
Please describe your oiling process and the type of oil you use. I understand the NoToil part..but they have two different oiling methods.

I dont' know of a carb pictorial. I don't know why that is necessary, either. With the parts diagram for a guide and an understanding of what it is you're doing, that should be plenty sufficient. Carb diagrams can be found at buykawasaki.com or (easier to navigate to) ronayers.com. On Ron Ayers site, select 'OEM parts' and 'Online Microfiche'.

If you have a specific question, you can get answers here.

Consider the source

Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Was the packing changed??????
Recommended every 10hrs of or so of riding.
Also I tried the D952..Its a very good tire, BUT ITS A MAJOR PITA TO INSTALL & REMOVE. Its also whimpy looking in height & width compared to the D756. Height Sidewall is shorter making it a PITA & width is Well OK. Since the D756 & D952 are comparable in price for me I have choosen the D756 w/ a D742 in the Front
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Was the packing changed??????
I'm sure the dealer took care of it. :wink:

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Was the packing changed??????
Recommended every 10hrs of or so of riding.
Also I tried the D952..Its a very good tire, BUT ITS A MAJOR PITA TO INSTALL & REMOVE. Its also whimpy looking in height & width compared to the D756. Height Sidewall is shorter making it a PITA & width is Well OK. Since the D756 & D952 are comparable in price for me I have choosen the D756 w/ a D742 in the Front
What size 952 did you try?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

Good stuff all....

I live and ride in southeast VA in a 50/50 world of woods/trails and track. Tusk, I married a girl from 21009 - go figure.

The photos are just to know what I was looking at. I'll get that elsewhere.

Tires are still at the dealer - will get them taken care of this week since our weather will go really cold tomorrow. Still have the D739's on board.

As far as repacking - no, did not know that was such a short maintenance item. Will get that going as well. Yikes!!!

The oiling process is based on either a red or white nozzle. I use the one made for foam filters.

Thanks guys for getting me to this point.

Bill
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Repacking is a huge PITA! I'm going back to the stock can... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

me too, if I ever find one :neutral:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Repacking is a huge PITA! I'm going back to the stock can...
Really? It took me 10 min last time I did it (was 5month ago though :oops: Time to repack maybe?)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:
Repacking is a huge PITA! I'm going back to the stock can...
Really? It took me 10 min last time I did it (was 5month ago though :oops: Time to repack maybe?)
Ten minutes?

Like to see that :neutral:

Do you clean it at all, or just repack while its all spooged up?

Prolly takes me at least 20 minutes to burn off all the spooge, maybe 10 minutes to clean it if I have a can of Combustion Chamber Cleaner but thats kinda spendy way of doing it
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Woaat???
Do you clean it at all, or just repack while its all spooged up?
I just scrub it all real good, wiped it and replaced the packing.
Note: I just did the silencer NOT the pipe, I can see how much more time it'd take to do both pipe and silencer. (which is on my to do list)

How often are you suppose to do both? Monthly?

Sorry about the hijack, I'll start a new post
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

In 10 minutes? :rolleyes:

Hmmm, take off bike, dissasemble, remove packing, clean, repack,reassemble, reinstall

Doubtful you'd do it in less than 30 :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))